Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ford's internal document on checking for mods has shown they don't care about catch cans. Intakes and tunes, sure. But the worst they can do is say no if you take it in. Sometimes dealers can be cool about it if they don't think it's a failure related to your mods.
Yeahh i think i’m going to just take it like that, and see what they say, i’m gonna ask for proof of the intake causing the damage which i think is good cause the intake couldn’t have caused what it has, so i’m hoping it will keep the warranty !
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You need to change the engine valve cover washer seal.
Its an easy fix
How is this an issue with the valve cover if there's no oil on the threads of the plug but only on the tip?
Wondering the same. ^ that's blowing up, not leaking/sucking down into. Not getting the value cover bit to begin with frankly.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ford uses a key count to see if it’s been tuned. They basically look to see how many run cycles the car has been through and that tells them how long it’s been since the tune was installed.

I personally would change the air box and tune to stock and drive it for awhile. Also don’t show up with a dirty engine and a clean air box.

At any rate if everything looks stock they probably won’t even check.
how would i return it to stock ? & yeahh that makes a lot of sense. I don’t have the tuner used, when i got the car, it was tuned already.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Well I’m that case you don’t. Might want to check to see if the air box is the tune version or the non tune version.

If it’s the non tune version you are in the clear. Just throw a stock box back on.
I assume it is the tune version as CAI’s generally require tunes. How would i approach it from here ?

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Don’t say say anything and see what they will do.

The problem also needs to be caused by the tune. I don’t know if a bad valve guide would ever be caused by a tune.
That’s what’s been on my mind, this whole time, technically the tune or the intake or any of that could have caused bad valve stem seals, so i might just ask them to show me proof of how it was the cause of the issue and i can maybe argue the manguson act

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
First rule is don’t tell on yourself. Tell them what is going on and drop the car off. Don’t mention anything else tune or otherwise.

KISS is the term.
They’re gonna ask about it, how should i respond to them, just act like i don’t know, i think that’s what i’ll do.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
and i can maybe argue the magnusson act
It's not as easy as it sounds; you'd need a lawyer for that. And not only do you need a top lawyer to go against Ford corporate lawyers... but good luck winning with a jury if the ECU was tampered with, which even though it's not prosecuted, it's a federal crime. So your best bet is to play dumb. And if it fails, ask for mercy.

By the way, it's my understanding manufacturers nowadays always ask to download the ECU for powertrain warranties, where they can immediately check if there was ever a tune or not. Hope I'm wrong :). Good luck OP, and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It's not as easy as it sounds; you'd need a lawyer for that. And not only do you need a top lawyer to go against Ford corporate lawyers... but good luck winning with a jury if the ECU was tampered with, which even though it's not prosecuted, it's a federal crime. So your best bet is to play dumb. And if it fails, ask for mercy.

By the way, it's my understanding manufacturers nowadays always ask to download the ECU for powertrain warranties, where they can immediately check if there was ever a tune or not. Hope I'm wrong :). Good luck OP, and keep us posted.
Yeahh you’re totally right /: , but you think it was that, that caused whatever is going on, i mean if there’s no way to prove that it was that technically they have to replace it right, at least that’s what i think, would the tune cause those problems?

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
They may not even ask. First find out what intake it is. A none tune intake like I said will not void warranty
It’s a JLT CAI, and requires a tune when put on, and on top of that i found a badge of bama performance that looks like it had been tuned, in the owners manual, so i’m POSITIVE it’s been tuned.

OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Well that sucks. If all that was on the car when you bought it you might be able to go back to the dealership you bought it at and ask them real nice.

If they sold you a car with a warranty and it didn’t have a warranty and you didn’t know that, they might help themselves out. California probably has some pretty good used car laws for consumers.

If you didn’t buy it from a dealership you we’ll need a piece of paper saying it has a factory warranty when you purchased it. If not never mind. Just take it in and get a diagnosis.
Well i bought it from a dealer not ford, one that was around my area, and i didn’t know it was had any of this, and when i took it, they basically said they couldn’t do anything, has “powertrain warranty” but in reality, doesn’t have anything if the car came like that with aftermarket parts. So knowing this, what should i do now ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hugo

Hugo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So for anyone in the near future that comes across this post if they happen to experience the same issue I had, I took it to ford, considering I have a JLT intake, exhaust and tune, surprisingly my warranty covered all expenses. Most people thought it was the valve stem seals. Turned out I needed a new cylinder head, that's why oil was leaking into cylinder #6. They changed that and so far I see no more smoke coming out of my exhaust. Kind of glad and honestly surprised ford covered the parts considering my aftermarket parts. I say just give it a try, if they flat out say no then at least you know. Btw my car was there for 36 days haha. But with that being said, hope everyones build goes along healthy and great for many more miles to come.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So for anyone in the near future that comes across this post if they happen to experience the same issue I had, I took it to ford, considering I have a JLT intake, exhaust and tune, surprisingly my warranty covered all expenses. Most people thought it was the valve stem seals. Turned out I needed a new cylinder head, that's why oil was leaking into cylinder #6. They changed that and so far I see no more smoke coming out of my exhaust. Kind of glad and honestly surprised ford covered the parts considering my aftermarket parts. I say just give it a try, if they flat out say no then at least you know. Btw my car was there for 36 days haha. But with that being said, hope everyones build goes along healthy and great for many more miles to come.
Glad it worked out for you. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Great to here there’s a positive ending to the issue.

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I know this thread is pretty old, but I might be experiencing this issue. Unfortunately, I am outside of my warranty. Still set up an appointment for the dealer to look at it.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Good to hear they still covered, keep an eye on your oil consumption moving forward. I had some oil consumption on my 2020 GT ever since I bought it new. Ford approved my dealership to inspect the cylinders and they found scoring, burned fuel/carbon residue, and contaminated spark plugs, but no compression issues. They approved a new short block AND new heads, and so far after 1000 miles of braking in the new engine, I see little to zero oil consumption.
Sponsored