Sponsored

Oil consumption question

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I got my 2018 GT's oil changed to Mobil One full synthetic for the first oil change at about 4600 miles. Im now at 5700 miles and my "oil life" setting says I'm at 78%. Is using 1/4th of the oil in 1100 miles normal? I also have been running E85 for about 2000 of those miles. By the time I did my first oil change, my oil life was at 43% @ 4600 miles, so it definitely is consuming faster than before, according to the cars sensors anyway. I do not notice any burning oil smell and the exhaust tips are clean as well. The car has to go in for other service, but should I have them look into this as well?
Sponsored

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
I just want to clarify that oil life and oil level are not the same thing. The computer is giving you the oil life. It estimates the percentage of life left in the oil based on temperatures, average speeds, average rpm, idle time etc. Depending on the way you're driving, your commute, and your climate, 78% left is probably accurate. The computer is telling you that your change interval is about 5k miles. The manual describes that interval as a moderate engine load interval.

3k interval = track driving, Lots of time in high RPM's
5k interval =spirited driving, some high time in RPM's
10k interval = commuting/cruising only, with next to no time used in high RPM's

Also the engine is new and is also going to consume a little oil until things fully wear in.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to clarify that oil life and oil level are not the same thing. The computer is giving you the oil life. It estimates the percentage of life left in the oil based on temperatures, average speeds, average rpm, idle time etc. Depending on the way you're driving, your commute, and your climate, 78% left is probably accurate. The computer is telling you that your change interval is about 5k miles. The manual describes that interval as a moderate engine load interval.

3k interval = track driving, Lots of time in high RPM's
5k interval =spirited driving, some high time in RPM's
10k interval = commuting/cruising only, with next to no time used in high RPM's

Also the engine is new and is also going to consume a little oil until things fully wear in.
I definitely dont wind out the car past like 4.5k ever in normal driving. But this does make sense, thanks!

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
I definitely dont wind out the car past like 4.5k ever in normal driving. But this does make sense, thanks!
NP! I cant prove it but I also think they may have programmed in a little extra precaution in the cars first 5k-10k miles. So that percentage may drop a little faster in the first 10k miles. However that number does not mean that 22% of your oil has burnt off. It's just 22% less effective in doing its job as an oil, if that makes sense lol.

I do recommend checking your oil though. My 18 consumed about 0.5 of a quart after i changed the oil at 1500 miles. its at 5000 now.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I got my 2018 GT's oil changed to Mobil One full synthetic for the first oil change at about 4600 miles. Im now at 5700 miles and my "oil life" setting says I'm at 78%. Is using 1/4th of the oil in 1100 miles normal?
How much time has gone by since the oil change and the OLM was reset to 100%?

In case some of you don't know, the OLM will tick down even if the car is parked. It's designed to go from 100% to 0% in one year even if the engine is never started, so it will tick down about (100/52) = 2% a week, even if it's not being driven.

Then when you do drive it, the OLM will also tick down from all the parameters the system uses (engine RPM, oil temp, etc) which will tick the OLM down even more.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I'm concerned about this on my 2018 GT as well. My car is roughly 5 months old since I got it from the dealer. I'm at about 4200 miles and the oil life is at 43% according to the Ford Pass app. I rarely push the car beyond 4.5k rpm and only did few WOT runs so far. My plan was to swap to fully synthetic oil at 5k miles. But this is something that's concerning me

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm concerned about this on my 2018 GT as well. My car is roughly 5 months old since I got it from the dealer. I'm at about 4200 miles and the oil life is at 43% according to the Ford Pass app.
Your oil life monitor went down 40% from just the 5 month time factor - it goes down 2% a week just sitting as I explained above. The other 17% in reduction was from driving the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much time has gone by since the oil change and the OLM was reset to 100%?

In case some of you don't know, the OLM will tick down even if the car is parked. It's designed to go from 100% to 0% in one year even if the engine is never started, so it will tick down about (100/52) = 2% a week, even if it's not being driven.

Then when you do drive it, the OLM will also tick down from all the parameters the system uses (engine RPM, oil temp, etc) which will tick the OLM down even more.
like 3 and a half weeks, it's my daily driver