Oil change

Mikestang20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
20 GT PREMIUM
How hard/ messy is it to do the oil change on my 20 gt premium? Stealership went up 20 bucks on my last one.
Sponsored

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Not bad. Be carful when removing the factory drain plug. Consider replacing it with something better if you plan on continuing to do your own oil changes.

I also like to remove the under cover to take a peek around.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Not bad. Be carful when removing the factory drain plug. Consider replacing it with something better if you plan on continuing to do your own oil changes.

I also like to remove the under cover to take a peek around.
I have a question about the oil filter access. I haven't looked too closely under the car yet, but noticed there is a cover under there. Is the oil filter accessible without having to remove this cover?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have a question about the oil filter access. I haven't looked too closely under the car yet, but noticed there is a cover under there. Is the oil filter accessible without having to remove this cover?
On a PP1 there is a cover/flap to access the oil filter. According to the service manual the underbody shield on the non-PP1 models has to come off to remove the oil filter.

The original oil pan plug has been proven on more than a hundred thousand Coyote engines, it is not a problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
On a PP1 there is a cover/flap to access the oil filter. According to the service manual the underbody shield on the non-PP1 models has to come off to remove the oil filter.

The original oil pan plug has been proven on more than a hundred thousand Coyote engines, it is not a problem.
Ok, thank you. I do have the PP package, so I'm glad for that.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I recommend buying a nice 20 quart pan. I also recommend buying a typical 5 gallon bucket (with cover) from Home Depot. You can pour the old oil into the bucket. Lid it and take it to any auto parts store to dump in their recycle tank for free.

You don't HAVE to purchase a funnel for filling if you're very skilled and careful, but it helps. Or you can just take your time with the first one, once it's empty, cut it in half and use the top as a funnel for the remaining quart bottles.

I like to keep large cardboard boxes broken down flat for use as a mat, when they get dirty enough, I just toss em.

When you're under the car, it's a good time to check other things, like the inside track of your tires (which can cord first when running an aggressive camber), double check everything is there and all bolts and fasteners are present.

Overland_LIfe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Are there really solid jacking points on these things/ Should I worry about body lip damage etc anything like that?

I'm not going to have a lift as I'm renting a condo for the next year, year and a half so will have to be stands and jack's unfortunately for now. . .

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB

My 2020 non-PP has the flap as well. I think it's still a good idea to remove the under cover to see what treasures have been trapped in it lol.

Swapping out the OEM drain plug is strictly my preference. I went with a UPR. It's magnetic and you can control the initial flow.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Are there really solid jacking points on these things/ Should I worry about body lip damage etc anything like that?

I'm not going to have a lift as I'm renting a condo for the next year, year and a half so will have to be stands and jack's unfortunately for now. . .
1659111116556.png

Sponsored

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
A set of race ramps make changing the oil super easy. Ii bought a set, they are not cheap, but speed the process up.

The flap over the filter is held on by a 7MM bolt. The flap folds out of the way and access to the filter is easy. A good amount of oil comes out with the filter as well, be prepared for that.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
My 2020 non-PP has the flap as well. I think it's still a good idea to remove the under cover to see what treasures have been trapped in it lol.

Swapping out the OEM drain plug is strictly my preference. I went with a UPR. It's magnetic and you can control the initial flow.
Good info to know. I'm glad there's an opening for filter access. I mean, even my Mazda CX-5 has a panel for that. Sometimes I wonder about engineering, as I have worked with many over the years! I bought a Femco drain plug, and will see how that goes. It looks pretty good to me and hopefully make future oil changes a little easier and less messy, from what I have read on here.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Look into getting some jacking rails, makes life easier, IMO.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
These are awesome Steeda Chassis Jacking Rail Ultra-Lite.

I roll up on ramps as well (8") before jacking the car up. My driveway is new. I found these DRICORE Subfloor Membrane Panels work great under the jack and stands to protect from sinking in.

Plywood would work fine. I bought these as a gap between the garage floor to park on while storing for the winter.