Oil Change Questions

rustyself

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Just bought a 2017 Ecoboost, after driving big 4WD trucks for the past twenty years .
Really love the car so far, so I want to take good care of it .
So, onto the questions I reckon .
1. Does the mustang have a feature that allows me to hold the accelerator all the way down, while turning the engine over, that prevents it from starting? On other vehicles, this allows oil to circulate after an oil change, before actually cranking the engine.
2. Does anyone use the drive-up ramps to change their oil? Just curious if there's enough clearance under the front air dam to allow it. HF has a set of rampsramp 50 bucks or so .

I know I will be using MC 5W30 semi synthetic, along with the MC filter .

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I use ramps.
Not worried about a dry start...the filter is tiny compared to big trucks.

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
Ramps here as well, piece of cake. The longest part of the oil change is waiting for the pan to drain.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Yeah, it's easy with ramps. First time I drained my oil, I was surprised by how far back it sprayed. Keep your drain pan as far back as it will go and still have the front edge under the drain.

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
Although I do have to add that the front end of my 18 is so low that I cannot get on the ramps with the car facing down on my slightly downhill pitched driveway, it has to face up.
Then in the fall I had the driveway repaved and the surface is to smooth for it to work either way, the ramps slide even if chocked.
On my last oil change in November I ended up having to jack the car up and put the ramps under the tires; easier that way than using stands because driving down is no problem.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
All you need is about 2 feet of 2x10 on each side as a runner up to the ramps...

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
As far as cranking the car without starting it, yes you can. I tried this yesterday on my car. (Automatic transmission) With one foot on the brake and the other foot holding the accelerator to the floor, pushing the start button results in the engine cranking over for 5-10 seconds. I did see an oil pressure rise on my gauge. After the engine quits turning over, turn the car off and restart normally........

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yes the oil really does shoot far out back. Be ready for that. I also ended up jacking up the car behind the front driver wheel and quickly pulling the front wheel. The filter and drain are right there then. No oil falling down on me while laying on my back.

OP
OP

rustyself

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate the replies .
I used my plastic ramps and got it changed yesterday .
I went ahead and filled the new oil filter, and turned it over for a few seconds with the accelerator all the way down to circulate the new oil.
Piece of cake .
Sponsored