Oil Change - Billet Oil Plug

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Any vehicle where filters are not installed in a near vertical position are typically going to be more challenging to change.

@pilotgore was working on the filter accessory. It’s been taking longer than anticipated….i assume time and access to a Mach 1 to verify fitment.
Thanks! Yes, I found the thread.
:)
Sponsored

OP
OP
jsullboy

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The position of the oil filter is a real pain. I tired my best but really hard not to make a mess. A lot of cleaning after removing was required. The UPR fit perfect

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
The position of the oil filter is a real pain. I tired my best but really hard not to make a mess. A lot of cleaning after removing was required. The UPR fit perfect
I've got a question in my head about different expansion rates between the plastic oil pan and a billet or non-plastic plug. The assembly sees a fairly large temperature range, and different materials expand and contract differently, possibly causing leakage or loosening. I guess that the engineers have addressed this, but sticking with a stock plug just seems to be a safer bet. I don't mean to discourage anyone, 'cause I love adding cool do-dads to my vehicles too, but this one makes me pause. The UPR one seems to be the pick of the litter, for sure - I like the dual o-ring design.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
@Skye so are these plugs actually worth it? Just wondering what the point is with these plugs. I've changed the oil on all our vehicles with whatever stock plug the manufacturer gave the vehicle and haven't had any issues or messes. Wondering what I am missing because I see a lot of people talking about changing out their plugs and I sit there like, why? LOL
Ah right on there. Another (ahem...) poster here I know had a bad experience on the track with one of these expensive plugs. Their research showed that the only references to the Fords stock plug being not great was on the vendors site, so...? I've stayed with the stock plug and during my track days the oil has stayed in the car. LOL

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Ah right on there. Another (ahem...) poster here I know had a bad experience on the track with one of these expensive plugs. Their research showed that the only references to the Fords stock plug being not great was on the vendors site, so...? I've stayed with the stock plug and during my track days the oil has stayed in the car. LOL
You mean James Bond mode, where all 10 quarts dump onto the exhaust and form an awesome smoke screen?

After it happened to me and I posted about it on the forum, 3 other members sent me PM’s saying it had also happened to them with aftermarket plugs but didn’t want to publicly post about it. Two of their plugs, and mine, were ronin. Not sure what brand the third guy had.

After ALOT of discussion, the best we could figure is that the resonance frequencies of the plastic pan and metal plug were different, causing them to vibrate at different rates leading to excessive stress on the metal plug. All of us had the plugs shoot straight out during a downshift in a braking zone. Luckily I got my engine shut down in time so I didn’t sustain any damage. If I had though, it would have been outside of warranty because it was an aftermarket plug. The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Found the plug hanging by the safety wire:
1698597226243.jpeg

Here you can see where the metal chipped off as the plug was ejected straight out (it didn’t untwist.)

1698597306631.jpeg
1698597330001.jpeg

Forgot to add…. When the plug was shot out, it took one of the 2 nubs from the oil pan with it. The oil pan was replaced by ford at $1200.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I hope you got hold of that GREAT oil plug maker for reimbursement of that $1200.00 repair??🤬😡

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I hope you got hold of that GREAT oil plug maker for reimbursement of that $1200.00 repair??🤬😡
After a little pushback, Ford ended up replacing it under warranty. When they got the car, it had a factory plug installed. . .

If I had to come out of pocket for the repair, I absolutely would have sought compensation for the oil pan and oil.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I had the UPR one on my explorer until the tech at the dealer broke it. He tried to unscrew it out, not in to open the valve, and he tried to force it and it broke. Luckily I kept the original plastic drain plug in the glovebox in case something happened.
Hi. And everyone is glad you are doing what you want to do but by staying with the oem drain plug. But their are people who are always looking and wanting a "Better Mouse Trap" so to speak. Their is nothing wrong with staying within the lines (the safe spot) but for some, we like to venture outside of those lines and see what more their might be. Nothing wrong with either of those people, that is their choice.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
After a little pushback, Ford ended up replacing it under warranty. When they got the car, it had a factory plug installed. . .

If I had to come out of pocket for the repair, I absolutely would have sought compensation for the oil pan and oil.
GOOD for you!!:like::like:

Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I've got a question in my head about different expansion rates between the plastic oil pan and a billet or non-plastic plug. The assembly sees a fairly large temperature range, and different materials expand and contract differently, possibly causing leakage or loosening. I guess that the engineers have addressed this, but sticking with a stock plug just seems to be a safer bet. I don't mean to discourage anyone, 'cause I love adding cool do-dads to my vehicles too, but this one makes me pause. The UPR one seems to be the pick of the litter, for sure - I like the dual o-ring design.
Another reason why I went with the Femco plug…non metal for the main body. I haven't heard of any issues with Femco products.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It's worth it for the magnetic tip
I put Amazon rare earth magnets on the filter. I has the Same effect. Maybe more because oil actively flows past the magnet.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I just completed my second oil change today. I find the S550 to be one of the easiest cars that I've had to change oil. The plug is very accessible and if you get the car up in the air far enough on jack stands to park a 2-1/2 gallon pail under it (I use an empty cat litter pail), it goes like a breeze and no mess. You do need to use the plug to slow the oil stream at first, and once the pail is positioned correctly, let er rip! I can see that replacing the oil plug will be necessary and I'll probably do that every three changes. I don't see the value in an aftermarket plug TBH.

There are benefits to the mess that happens when you change the oil filter, too. Oil does go everywhere and has to be mopped up with towel afterwards. But a film of oil prevents rust on the car and all the tools too, and is an excellent hair and beard moisturizer.

Seriously, I've gotta find that thread for the gadget that prevents the oil filter mess that someone on here was printing with a 3-D printer....
Don't waste your money. Use a piece of aluminum foil.

To be clear, you never told the dealer you tracked the car and had a ronin plug?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Don't waste your money. Use a piece of aluminum foil.

To be clear, you never told the dealer you tracked the car and had a ronin plug?
It was a gt350, which HPDE days are not exclusions in the warranty supplement in 2019…. So I told them it happened on track and even showed them the video. I did omit to offer up the fact that a fomoco plug was not installed at the time of incident.

I had 22 warranty issues addressed in 27 months of ownership, including a new engine and transmission. They knew full well the car was tracked often, because I told them things broke on track and they knew me…. Every time I got pushback for warranty coverage, it turns out it was always on the service advisor side, not ford corporate. Ford was always happy to cover track use, but the advisors make less of a commission on warranty work vs out of pocket so they’re incentivized to tell you that ford wouldn’t cover it. Sucks that it’s a thing…. But that’s how it works apparently.
Sponsored