Oil catch can with 18+ GT Performance Tune Pac

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I had a passenger side FPP Oil catch can installed my '19 GT and got the Performance Tune Pac installed today and was just informed by my mechanic that the oil catch can could not be used. I haven't yet seen the car to notice if there is no space under the hood with the new CAI.

Are you able to use an oil catch can with the Perf tune pack. If yes, what brand ?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I put the power pack 2 on my car and tried to install the ford branded oil catch can and it would not fit. The power pack has a 87 mm throttle body from the GT 350 engine and it has a rectangular mounting pattern versus the square of the stock 80 mm TB, because of that there is an adapter plate that rotates the TB 15 degrees clockwise and now the electronics on the TB get in the way of the catch can on the passenger side. You can try the GT 350 catch can that mounts on the drivers side.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There's a second part number for the FPP catch can for Bullitts, and any other car with the same CAI/TB. It has a metal bracket, and mounts differently. Don't have the p/n handy, but it's only one extra letter from the one you guys have, if I remember correctly. Hopefully somebody can post it for you guys.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The bullitt can won't work. As I stated before, when you mount a GT 350 TB on a regular intake you need the adapter. That adapter rotates the TB 15 degrees clockwise and that is what causes the interference. The bullitt and GT 350 use a different intake that is made to accept the larger 87 mm TB and does not need the adapter so they will clear the catch can no problem.

Been there, done that.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oh, thought you guys were installing the intake as well (zero benefit without it, no?). Makes sense now :).

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The stage 2 power pack only has the 87 mm TB with adapter plate, the GT350 CAI and a tune from ford racing. If you want the manifold too, you need the stage 3 kit.

BTW the stage 3 is not offered for the 18+ engine, the 18+ manifold matches the GT 350 mani in top end gains but retains the IMRC plates so it doesn't lose any on the low end. In the end a GT 350 mani on a 18+ is a detriment. I don't know why ford didn't just put the stage 2 kit on the bullitt instead of the the whole stage 3 kit.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't know why ford didn't just put the stage 2 kit on the bullitt, instead of the the whole stage 3 kit.
I'm with you on that, since there was 0 TQ gain. So it's supposedly a 'stage 3' kit??? How the heck can a stage 3 kit only make +20 HP, and +0 TQ? Makes no sense to me. But more importantly, it'd be really bad if there's an actual loss of low-end TQ, which might be the case, but is that reflected on dyno runs? I haven't seen back-to-back dyno charts of a Bullitt vs a GT PP1. It'd be interesting to see the results. On paper, I think Ford lists the same peak rpm on both engines, but 20 HP higher on the Bullitt. The power curves (especially the TQ one) might be different, and not for the better on low and mid ranges, but who knows.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The bullitt engine has all the stage 3 parts, but because the 18+ manifold matches and at certain rpm outperforms the GT350 manifold, there was no point in using the GT350 mani on the bullitt. That is why ford does not officially offer a stage 3 kit for the 18+ engines, there would be no gain from a stage 2 so who would pay $1.8K for a kit that gives the same gains as a $800 kit.

In the end, I would rather have the stage 2 kit on an 18+, that you don't lose the IMRC valves and there for don't lose any on the bottom end like you would with a GT350 manifold.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Anyone try a UPR catch can with the kit? The hoses seem plenty long (almost too long) and the remote location of the passenger can is next to the radiator and out of the way. Their driver side clean solution also has a long hose and has a right angle adapter to connect to the intake hose.

It might work.

Here is a video showing the kit:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you happen to have power curves for both cars, to see where the Bullitt is losing power/TQ vs a stock GT 5.0? It shouldn't be that much, if at all, but curious if Ford actually put something on the Bullitt that loses low/mid-range performance. Thx.

Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I put the power pack 2 on my car and tried to install the ford branded oil catch can and it would not fit. The power pack has a 87 mm throttle body from the GT 350 engine and it has a rectangular mounting pattern versus the square of the stock 80 mm TB, because of that there is an adapter plate that rotates the TB 15 degrees clockwise and now the electronics on the TB get in the way of the catch can on the passenger side. You can try the GT 350 catch can that mounts on the drivers side.
Off topic, but I was able to fit the Ford Performance catch can on the passenger side on my old 2017 GT with the Power Pack 2. I couldn't mount it as it was designed, I used a bolt, nut and fender washer to clamp it to the valve cover just off where the push pins were supposed to be used, it basically sat a little more forward and wedged in next to the overflow bottle. Worked fine for 2 and a half years and 5,500 miles. I also used the GT350 can on the drivers side with no issues, bolted right on per the instructions.

Good to know through about the 2018+ cars. I already have the Ford Performance catch can on my 2020 GT and plan on eventually installing the Ford Power Pack on this car also. Looks like I may need to get creative with mounting again.

I will say I feel the passenger side can is worth it. I removed both of them from my 2017 before trading it in and the passenger side was over half full in 5,500 miles. Drivers side was bone dry.

Doug

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Off topic, but I was able to fit the Ford Performance catch can on the passenger side on my old 2017 GT with the Power Pack 2. I couldn't mount it as it was designed, I used a bolt, nut and fender washer to clamp it to the valve cover just off where the push pins were supposed to be used, it basically sat a little more forward and wedged in next to the overflow bottle.
Do you by any chance have pictures?

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Anyone try a UPR catch can with the kit? The hoses seem plenty long ...
Agree with the hoses being long - but after watching the installs on youtube, I am not keen about having to remove the radiator shroud each time to empty the can. Since I already have a ford can I am reluctant to spend 200+ on another brand. Will need to tinker and see if I can mount it by using a fabricate bracket of some sort - or if the FPP unit can be used with longer hoses.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Agree with the hoses being long - but after watching the installs on youtube, I am not keen about having to remove the radiator shroud each time to empty the can. Since I already have a ford can I am reluctant to spend 200+ on another brand. Will need to tinker and see if I can mount it by using a fabricate bracket of some sort - or if the FPP unit can be used with longer hoses.
You don't. The can has a thumb knob and the connections have a button to quick release. Can is out. You also have the option to put a drain valve and hose on it so there is no need to remove. Not sure there is really room since this can basically rests on a bundle of wires already but hat is an option. It also has a nut on the bottom of the can that if mounted with access, it can be drained from the bottom. Normally it has a screw plug in that port so you can add it later or use the screw to drain. Can also unscrews so the catch part can be drained. Lots of options for draining.
Sponsored