15k oil changes? no thanks, I'll stick to my 5k
Sponsored

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
I'd rather spend the $60 every year for my Mobil 1 oil change than worry about how my engine is being protected every time I drive! šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Oils are fine for 10-25k intervals. These arenā€™t old technology oils. Some serious properties to them.
Iā€™m running next 15k interval and re testing will post back in a year

amsoil isnā€™t badly priced. 10 a quart. 15 filter

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
Oils are fine for 10-25k intervals. These arenā€™t old technology oils. Some serious properties to them.
Iā€™m running next 15k interval and re testing will post back in a year

amsoil isnā€™t badly priced. 10 a quart. 15 filter
Can you take off your valve cover and show me what they look like next oil change lmao

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can you take off your valve cover and show me what they look like next oil change lmao
Ive been running 10k on crap 25 dollar dealership syn blend for 100k and went to 15k after that w full amsoil synthetic. That car has 175k and drives better than it does day one.

Amsoil sig is rated 25k miles, but amsoil ea filters only rated 15k

only reason I posted this was because says higher iron. But the company sent me an email saying itā€™s fine itā€™s most likely from previous oil and break in. Since this is my 3rd change
8k and 18k now 28k

my car is full bolt on, minus I just put stock downpipe back on. But this oil was with it
B1928B52-2F10-431B-8A27-4DDD7612E72E.jpeg

Sponsored

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
Ive been running 10k on crap 25 dollar dealership syn blend for 100k and went to 15k after that w full amsoil synthetic. That car has 175k and drives better than it does day one.

Amsoil sig is rated 25k miles, but amsoil ea filters only rated 15k

only reason I posted this was because says higher iron. But the company sent me an email saying itā€™s fine itā€™s most likely from previous oil and break in. Since this is my 3rd change
8k and 18k now 28k

my car is full bolt on, minus I just put stock downpipe back on. But this oil was with it
B1928B52-2F10-431B-8A27-4DDD7612E72E.jpeg
Can't argue with the numbers, just find it amazing you've only changed the oil three times on a 28k mile car. I might do this test next time around on my Mustang interested to see the condition of the motor.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I was at the dealership at 8k to get a new battery, mine was a 2 year leftover and it was kaput. they offered me a full synthetic oil change for like 70 bucks at the time, removing the synthetic blend. I said sure, why not. it was 30 bucks off I recall for the oil change.

then 10k interval, fords recommendation. I changed to 18k amsoil signature. I did a test at 10k to see how its wearing on my mustang, and other than iron, which is most likely from their notes, im going to rock 15k next interval and will post results. !

ford performance tune, all other small add ons, not a major tune like the other EcoBoost guys pumping like 28psi lol. I don't know if it matters, but I do have a catch can as well. it may help catch some stuff, but in 10k miles I had like, maybe 3 tea spoons worth of oil.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I guess the smart guys at Porsche got their newest $200,000.00 911 Turbo 20,000 mile OCI all wrong.

OP, you got it right. Your confidence in modern oils and the OCI is on point.
I received the same high Fe readings a few years ago on a low mileage Land Rover 5.0 SC. Thatā€™s when my radar went up and dug deep into oil tribology and the effects of iron on sample readings.

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I guess the smart guys at Porsche got their newest $200,000.00 911 Turbo 20,000 mile OCI all wrong.

OP, you got it right. Your confidence in modern oils and the OCI is on point.
I received the same high Fe readings a few years ago on a low mileage Land Rover 5.0 SC. Thatā€™s when my radar went up and dug deep into oil tribology and the effects of iron on sample readings.
I mean when it come down to it vehicle maintenance cycles is preference to the owner really. Changing your oil sooner rather than later is certainly not hurting the motor.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Changing your oil sooner rather than later is certainly not hurting the motor.
I agree to a point.
I do think changing oil to early during the break-in cycle is counterproductive but thatā€™s another discussion for another thread.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I mean when it come down to it vehicle maintenance cycles is preference to the owner really. Changing your oil sooner rather than later is certainly not hurting the motor.
In theory. But there can be unintended consequences of any action. Dealer/Jiffy Lube/owners/???? have forgot to put oil in or the wrong type/amount or didn't screw the filter on tight, or stripped or left drain plug loose, etc.. None may be likely but changing twice as often as optimum (for example) clearly doubles the odds.

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
In theory. But there can be unintended consequences of any action. Dealer/Jiffy Lube/owners/???? have forgot to put oil in or the wrong type/amount or didn't screw the filter on tight, or stripped or left drain plug loose, etc.. None may be likely but changing twice as often as optimum (for example) clearly doubles the odds.
Of course that's why I do all the maintenance on my car myself saves a lot of time and money to be honest.

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I agree to a point.
I do think changing oil to early during the break-in cycle is counterproductive but thatā€™s another discussion for another thread.
I agree with this, during the break-in period I would not change the factory oil for a bit. There's additives to aid the break in process.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All manufacturer's have at least these 2 goals: minimize warranty issues during warranty period, and that owners replace their cars asap. There's different ways to achieve the latter :). One is to suggest 20K-mile oil changes. Ha ha.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
One thing people need to take into consideration are the market/weather conditions. i.e I live in Puerto Rico and every manufacturer catalog P.R as "Extreme Weather/Market Conditions"

That means a lot of "stop and go", heavy traffic, 90F+ almost every day of the year.

Saying that I always do 3mo/3K miles on my cars. If using syn oil 4mo/4K miles.
Sponsored