Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

codywilson3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Gt
So I installed one screen was working messed around on it turned the car off went inside and came back 15 mins later to mess with it some more and now it won’t turn on. Any ideas on what I did wrong?
Sponsored

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
So I installed one screen was working messed around on it turned the car off went inside and came back 15 mins later to mess with it some more and now it won’t turn on. Any ideas on what I did wrong?
Can you be a little less vague? Have you read through the thread and seen other people's troubleshooting steps? Where did you buy the unit?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
When my screen went out, I still had the backlight. Turned out to be a failed main core motherboard. One step was to see if you could see the red LED blinking inside the host on the red core board.

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I think my unit failed because it overheated. I was inside the car with unit on and playing the music kinda loud. Hot day with the car not running. The host gets extremely hot. That's why I added 2 fans to the host to keep it from overheating again.

codywilson3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Gt
So it randomly turned on when I was driving... loose connection or defected device. It’s currently off again driving to see if it will turn back on.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I also had a SMD PI solder point crack from pressure of Chinese design and assembly. Only took minimal contact for it to power up randomly.

Furious_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
So unfortunately I totaled my mustang. An animal jumped in front of my car by the time I missed it I hit a tree. Luckily I have no serious injuries the mustang not so fortunate...

Anyways I managed to salvage my gen 2 tesla unit out of my vehicle if anyone is interested in buying it please let me know as I'll be listing it on eBay soon.

Anyways all I've got to say is the car saved my life and I'm thinking really hard about buying the 2018 one next year but probably gonna wait like 6-12 months before I do. That way I can get caught up in finances. I miss my baby....
Do you still have it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
So it randomly turned on when I was driving... loose connection or defected device. It’s currently off again driving to see if it will turn back on.
I would recommend pulling it out and reseating the connections. That was a common issue early on.

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Figured I would post here to help some people out.

I recently installed a unit in my personal car (GT Premium Track Pack)

Had the issue with no audio, spent about two full days tracing wiring to and from the amp to the head unit.

Ultimately what fixed it for me was two factors.

1. Hopping in the advanced settings and setting the car to mustang hi

2. the amp trigger wire had 3.6v going to it. factory is 6v. on my unit they had ran an inline resistor setup with two resistor set together and a ground lead to one pole. I left the resistors in and snipped the ground lead and it bumped the voltage to 5v and fired the amp accordingly.

3. unable to fix, the usb adapters do not work for my premium model. I can plug right into the usb they provide with no issues. running it though the car is an issue.

workaround is to just drop a usb down the console in case i need it.

I did also wire in a fan to my unit as just screwing around with it in the car loose it became extremely hot to the touch.

so if you have a premium its not out of the realm of possibility to get this working, mine does.

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
How many of you had a problem with overheating? Also for those that installed fans, how did you wire them?

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
am i supposed to have the can bus for the base model? I hooked everything up but my audio wont work. im sooo annoyed right now
Sponsored