Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Having spent last year surrounded by GT4 Mustangs that is pretty much how I feel as well. Just a hair higher would have been perfect.
Agreed. I've been in love with the wing on the GT4, but it's a touch too tall for a street car. If they would've made the GT500's RIGHT between its current height and the GT4's, I think it would've been perfect. But maybe they were trying to maximize MPGs while also effectively creating downforce
Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Agreed. I've been in love with the wing on the GT4, but it's a touch too tall for a street car. If they would've made the GT500's RIGHT between its current height and the GT4's, I think it would've been perfect. But maybe they were trying to maximize MPGs while also effectively creating downforce
Most likely, if they had put the wing any higher they would have to have a front splitter so low as to be completely impractical on the street in order to balance the aero.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I read through that all.

I learned A few new things.

I was speculating this car would have composite springs. It does not, but they made the springs from different high strength steel to save a couple pounds.

And, yes there is two (2!!) calipers on the rear disc. One is for the electric parking brake, which adds Unsprung weight back on.

And of course, no specs until the summer. We have another 6 months to wait, and 9 months until deliveries. More than likely, this car will actually be available to purchase in March 2020 because they’ll shut down production during winter due to the tires. Just over a year to go lol. Dammit.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
And of course, no specs until the summer. We have another 6 months to wait, and 9 months until deliveries. More than likely, this car will actually be available to purchase in March 2020 because they’ll shut down production during winter due to the tires. Just over a year to go lol. Dammit.
huh?

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ford doesn’t produce any vehicles with cup tires during the winter. So if people order track pack, very very SLIM chance it’ll arrive before March 2020.

So essentially it’ll work like this: first run of the vehicle will be reduced capacity. Next customs orders will be filled and shipped so the lucky ones that did their due diligence months ago in securing a spot. Next, some dealers the few who were lucky to have an allocation will bring it in the store and it’ll sell immediately because it’ll likely be track pack. Initially manufacturers try to produce the highest margin vehicle including all the options.

Therefore, March 2020 is your best earliest chance. It is what it is. Ford knows exactly what they’re doing in regards to timing and production. They’re essentially doing a staggered release on purpose.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
can you cite that anywhere? 1/2 the country doesnt get below 50+ 90% of the year

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
can you cite that anywhere? 1/2 the country doesnt get below 50+ 90% of the year
It’s common knowledge among 350 owners.

The Cup tires had service bulletins warning against cold weather cracking and replacement. So ford doesn’t produce specialty models with cups during winter.

I’m not going to post links because I don’t want to dig it up. But it’s real. I’m sure someone else will help you out with proof.

If I were you I’d call Ford Perfomance and just ask them. They’ll tell you everything you need to know.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But they are built in Michigan. Maybe Ford doesn't want to worry about keeping the tires warm thru the whole process including storing the cars outside waiting transport.

Sponsored

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
It’s common knowledge among 350 owners.

The Cup tires had service bulletins warning against cold weather cracking and replacement. So ford doesn’t produce specialty models with cups during winter.

I’m not going to post links because I don’t want to dig it up. But it’s real. I’m sure someone else will help you out with proof.

If I were you I’d call Ford Perfomance and just ask them. They’ll tell you everything you need to know.
Yep it’s true. They didn’t make gt350r’s after it got cold because of the tires. You can’t keep those tires outdoors when it gets below a certain temp.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ford doesn’t produce any vehicles with cup tires during the winter. So if people order track pack, very very SLIM chance it’ll arrive before March 2020.

So essentially it’ll work like this: first run of the vehicle will be reduced capacity. Next customs orders will be filled and shipped so the lucky ones that did their due diligence months ago in securing a spot. Next, some dealers the few who were lucky to have an allocation will bring it in the store and it’ll sell immediately because it’ll likely be track pack. Initially manufacturers try to produce the highest margin vehicle including all the options.

Therefore, March 2020 is your best earliest chance. It is what it is. Ford knows exactly what they’re doing in regards to timing and production. They’re essentially doing a staggered release on purpose.
But they are built in Michigan. Maybe Ford doesn't want to worry about keeping the tires warm thru the whole process including storing the cars outside waiting transport.
Wasn’t there a thread here where a lot of PP2 buyers had to wait longer for their cars because Ford stopped building them due to the cold and the Cup 2 tires?

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I recall GM having an issue with Z06's cracking tires the 1st year of production because they got caught out in the cold waiting to be shipped.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I recall GM having an issue with Z06's cracking tires the 1st year of production because they got caught out in the cold waiting to be shipped.
Every year when cold weather hits, GM Fleet Office calls in all the company car Camaros and Vettes with summer tires and either changes them into all seasons or garages the cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: