Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Our photos of the 2018 Mustang GT in Orange Fury on display at the 2017 NYIAS.

Looked great in person :cheers:
Nice. Heading up on Sat to check it out along with the GT Stinger and RS5.

The new design looks good with the PP wheels.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
One interesting thing I picked up when reading about the light refresh to the 2018 Explorer that was shown in NY is about the new Safe and Smart package. IIRC a package by the same name was on the leaked 2018 Mustang order guide. Now, the package may be different on the Mustang but if it isn't, it does the annoying thing I was hoping they wouldn't do; bundle the blind spot monitoring with the automatic emergency braking.
Here's all the stuff included in the 2018 Explorer Safe and Smart package: Adaptive cruise control, collision warning with brake assist, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, lane keeping, auto high beams, and rain-sensing wipers.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I sweat the Ford GT is one of the sexiest cars out in the world right now.
Couldn't agree more! I didn't think they could top the previous GT's but they nailed it

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
One interesting thing I picked up when reading about the light refresh to the 2018 Explorer that was shown in NY is about the new Safe and Smart package. IIRC a package by the same name was on the leaked 2018 Mustang order guide. Now, the package may be different on the Mustang but if it isn't, it does the annoying thing I was hoping they wouldn't do; bundle the blind spot monitoring with the automatic emergency braking.
Here's all the stuff included in the 2018 Explorer Safe and Smart package: Adaptive cruise control, collision warning with brake assist, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, lane keeping, auto high beams, and rain-sensing wipers.
F--k I hope not. I do not want ACC (due to the lower grill) or most of that stuff.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So as I expected, the new design is really growing on me, and I am starting to believe it looks better or at least as good as the current 15-17 design... but still I feel like adding these new details and angles is going to make the car age more poorly. Simpler is generally better for long term aesthetic appeal.

Take those tail lights in particular. While they look good to me right now, I feel like they're trying too hard to look futuristic, and people's ideas of that kind of thing usually changes over time.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So don't get it. Safe and Smart is basically the nanny package. It makes sense to group all of that shit together
BLIS/reverse is a great thing on it's own. Many don't want sensing items like lights, wipers, or auto braking. Grouping shit together just makes packages you're forced to get & many don't want.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I hate the reverse sensors and the circles it puts on the bumpers. I can use my backup camera, mirrors, and my eyes just fine. Blind spot monitoring is pretty nice on the mirrors though. I can't wait for that to become the next federally regulated item on cars like the backup cam.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I hate the reverse sensors and the circles it puts on the bumpers. I can use my backup camera, mirrors, and my eyes just fine. Blind spot monitoring is pretty nice on the mirrors though. I can't wait for that to become the next federally regulated item on cars like the backup cam.
Not me.

Then too many idiots will rely on just the system and not use their eyes (and their brain), much like the backup cameras. The cams are just fine for what's seeing what's immediately behind you (great for hooking up a trailer), but are no substitute for also looking around with your own eyes for a second look. That whole situational awareness thing.

My mom was hit in a parking lot by a mental midget who didn't see her in her back up cam as she approached from the side, because it's so much work to turn your head and look. :doh:

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Not me.

Then too many idiots will rely on just the system and not use their eyes (and their brain), much like the backup cameras. The cams are just fine for what's seeing what's immediately behind you (great for hooking up a trailer), but are no substitute for also looking around with your own eyes for a second look. That whole situational awareness thing.

My mom was hit in a parking lot by a mental midget who didn't see her in her back up cam as she approached from the side, because it's so much work to turn your head and look. :doh:
I think it's actually *safer* to use the camera than to use your eyes. The fish eye lenses they put on backup cameras usually makes it such that you can actually see more on the screen with a backup camera than you can by turning and looking around with your own eyes. I've pretty much been relying almost exclusively on a backup camera for a decade now when reversing (except when I have the unfortunate experience of having to drive a car without a backup cam), and I feel so much more comfortable doing that. So much better for seeing cross traffic when reversing out of a spot... although I usually back into spots, anyways.

The mental midget you're referring to probably either backed out too quickly or was just oblivious... Or maybe had a shitty camera/screen.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Um, I'll use the camera AND turn my head and look, thanks. Driving isn't for lackadaisical folks, like far too many out there.

(Being a motorcyclist makes me crotchety about such topics.)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm not expecting to rely on the blind spot monitors as the end all to never turning my head back. I still will. It's just a good reinforcement to something we already all do. No matter what tech you add, there will always be really bad drivers till we get to autonomous cars.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
It's because it looks better at closer angles. It's the further away when it starts to look a little weird (front end). I think this design just has more angles that don't work with it when taking pictures. That's why I'm not completely writing it off until I personally see a finalized, customer owned MY18.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. There is something about the front design, overhang or slope of the hood/grill that just doesn't sit well with my eyes.
I'm seeing more and more of it from the "2018 Mustang GT & EcoBoost Testing in New Colors/Wheels Combinations" thread. I also wish that Ford would push the stance out to better fill the wheel wells. The picture of the Lightning Blue with PP wheels makes it appear that there needs to be another inch or so of backspacing. And while I bleed Ford blue, the Camaro seem to fit their wheel opening far better than the Mustang.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
So don't get it. Safe and Smart is basically the nanny package. It makes sense to group all of that shit together
I love the blind spot monitoring on my Mustang because I hate the little bubble mirrors you get otherwise, and the rear cross traffic detector has saved me from close calls many times where you have large trucks or SUVs parked on both sides of you and can't see anything when backing out of a parking space. Forcing people to get the ugly lower grill with ACC sensor and all the other nagging features might be a deal breaker for me. I could get by just fine without BLIS and rear cross traffic alert, but after having it for the past 2.5 years on my other Mustangs, I think I'd miss it and would feel like a downgrade in a way. Another thing now pushing me away from the 2018 and towards keeping my 2016.
Sponsored