Sponsored

OEM Oil Pump Gear Question

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Wait so which one is it? First you said this topic is about stock GT, no FI or modified.

Then you ask about if you were to go twin turbo?

That's a whole different conversation.

Not worried about it in the least. I am very confident Ford knows how to engineer oil pump gears.

Reason I ask is if you go with a turbo set up in an A10 GT, and keep the shift points in RPM same as stock, then the oil pump gears should be fine.
I appreciate the responses. But the topic is "stock" GT, I never said FI or even modified.
Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dapepper9,

No. With only .004" clearance on some internal gears to the external ring of the pump, and having a good idea how crank snouts can deflect with a "blower" belt, it makes sense to install a harder oil pump gear set.

I have a business and machine metals all day using CNC equipment. It is amazing the amount of deflection you can measure on certain steels. So I have the opinion crank snout deflection is one of the variables in the 5.0 (there are obviously others too).

On a nitrous or turbo set up, there is no load on the crank snout = same as stock in regards to deflection.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Dapepper9,

No. With only .004" clearance on some internal gears to the external ring of the pump, and having a good idea how crank snouts can deflect with a "blower" belt, it makes sense to install a harder oil pump gear set.

I have a business and machine metals all day using CNC equipment. It is amazing the amount of deflection you can measure on certain steels. So I have the opinion crank snout deflection is one of the variables in the 5.0 (there are obviously others too).

On a nitrous or turbo set up, there is no load on the crank snout = same as stock in regards to deflection.
I been to many street races here in south florida and I see stock OPG's failed on stock motors, nitrous motors, supercharged motors and even turbo charged motors. The stock OPG's are very brittle watch videos on them being dropped from a few feet and exploding into many pieces. If your already going through the trouble of adding FI then why not just take the extra 2 hours to upgrade the OPG's unless you want to find out what it would really cost to rebuilt an engine.

Drpaul09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible California Special
I just had my 2019 GT engine replaced (covered under warranty) because the OPG failed. My only mods were exhaust. Iā€™ll add a supercharger in a couple of months and will definitely replace the OPG and CCS.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I just had my 2019 GT engine replaced (covered under warranty) because the OPG failed. My only mods were exhaust. Iā€™ll add a supercharger in a couple of months and will definitely replace the OPG and CCS.
manual or auto? what were you doing when they failed?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I appreciate the responses. But the topic is "stock" GT, I never said FI or even modified.

I think by now virtually everyone is aware of potential oil pump gear failure in a "non-stock" application.

So I would still like to hear of someone that has experienced failure, if any, in a stock GT. I personally have not.
Not worried about it in the least. I am very confident Ford knows how to engineer oil pump gears.

Reason I ask is if you go with a turbo set up in an A10 GT, and keep the shift points in RPM same as stock, then the oil pump gears should be fine.
1653424525664.jpeg

Reading through this, the original question by the OP was "stock GT"...

As @EFI posted above - are we still talking purely stock GT or now talking a GT with a turbo'd application, which falls into the forced induction category no matter which way you look at it . . . and is beyond "stock". ??

Drpaul09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible California Special
Iā€™ve got an a10. I donā€™t know exactly when it failed. We discovered the problem when I brought it to the shop to install a supercharger. While investigating the car, the mechanic noticed some clicking from the engine. Further investigation led to the discovery of metal shavings in the oil. The mechanic recommended that I immediately take the car to the dealership. I did. The dealership investigated the car and determined that the oil pump housing had a ā€œslight crackā€ and there was an ā€œexorbitant amount of metal debris in [the] oil panā€. The dealership replaced the engine under warranty.

I love a story with a happy ending! šŸ˜Š

FYI - I have posted a similar note on another forum ā€” mainly because I was excited to get my car back and also because I thought that people would be interested to hear that this can happen even if you donā€™t mod your car and that the dealership voluntarily replaced the engine. I did not have to beg, threaten, or cajole them.

Hereā€™s a picture of the most interesting part of the invoice.

I just realized that this post doesnā€™t directly relate to the OPā€™s question because, strictly speaking, my OPGs did not fail...

8C00853D-1B05-4B62-849C-1AFE1D9540B4.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: