Sponsored

Odd whooshing/rattle noise

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Heritage Shelby GT350, 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak(on Res)
Took a short drive today and noticed in second gear and higher a whooshing/rattle type noise when I decelerate. This noise can be heard with windows up, but can also be heard (even better) with windows down. Ive got a little under 100 miles and thought I would check here before I take it to the dealer. I did check the stickies and the track down the rattle threads. Appreciate any guesses and if its not raining, I am going to try and get my wife to capture on video tonight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Small update noise starts at 3,300 RPM when accelerating and is loudest when decelerating from 4,500 RPM. The highest RPM I have shifted at is right about 5K. Under break in I've been shifting between 3k and 4k as a norm. I have also been letting her warm up for about 5 mins before getting going. The wife described the noise as a whistle and she thought it was coming from the front passenger side?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Not sure of the noise description in your post. Is it air suction noise like? Almost like turbo noise. In my case I hear this whistling like noise too. This become more lauder when I replaced OEM air filter with Air-aid blue performance filter. This noise coming from air intake and is normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Not sure of the noise description in your post. Is it air sucking noise like? Almost like turbo noise. In my case I hear this whistling like noise too. This become more lauder when I replaced OEM air filter with Air-aid blue performance filter. This noise coming from air intake and is normal.
Almost sounds exactly like an air intake, but with a tinge of a loose rattle. The car otherwise performs as expected, so I wont loose any sleep over it. Maybe the service tech can jump in and take a ride with me.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure from your descriptions if it's normal or not. You could look at the intake tubing carefully and see if you see any problems such as cracks or something not assembled properly. If you don't see anything you could have someone start/rev the car to see if you can narrow down the location of the noise source by standing in front of the car with the hood open.

Another thing people do to look for vacuum leaks is to spray starting fluid around the engine compartment. If the engine revs, that's the location. Obviously anything near the air filter would make the engine rev.

Every time I changed the air filter on my GT350 I was always paranoid that I didn't get the bottom part of the filter all the way onto the intake tube. If you loosen the clamp on the filter you can turn the filter and check to be sure it's assembled properly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
^^ I'll definitely have the wife rev the engine with the hood open and I'll take a listen and report back.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Piston slap? Won't do it without load. Perfectly normal. Be sure to let you oil warm up before you rev it much.

OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Piston slap? Won't do it without load. Perfectly normal. Be sure to let you oil warm up before you rev it much.
I read the sticky on the slap, but this seemed different, but it could be, I'll re read it again tonight. We let oil warm to 180 and gave her a few light revs with the hood open ..... and nothing unusual. There is a ton of clicking and cycling noises once engine is shut down, but I read that was normal, and it's done that since delivery.

OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Stopped by Ford today, tech took her out and did not hear any noise. I had tech ride with me, and he said he could not hear any noise. I could hear it (so can wife and son) but he said maybe his ears are not the best and everything sounds normal to him. Well... I did my due diligence and Ford can not say I failed to mitigate any problems. Other than the noise, all gauges are perfect and she drives perfect. Now back to the sloooow break in process.. :yawn:

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
May not be related, but I hear a whooshing sound when I open the windows above say 25-30mph. I realized it's similar to the "helicopter" thumping sound in a pickup when you open just the rear windows. But instead of thumping, it's a whooshing of air going through the window into the back inside of car. Only hear it if I open the windows a little.
Just got the car, and have already put it away for Winter. But come Spring, I will see the difference in opening the windows at various amounts, and at various speeds.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
May not be related, but I hear a whooshing sound when I open the windows above say 25-30mph. I realized it's similar to the "helicopter" thumping sound in a pickup when you open just the rear windows. But instead of thumping, it's a whooshing of air going through the window into the back inside of car. Only hear it if I open the windows a little.
Just got the car, and have already put it away for Winter. But come Spring, I will see the difference in opening the windows at various amounts, and at various speeds.
Opening the windows a bit does cause a similar sound. When I first heard the sound, I did think it was coming from an open window or somehow air was getting into the cabin. That being said, the "strange" noise can be heard with all windows closed, but is more prevalent with the windows down. Maybe Ford gave me a hidden supercharger lol.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Honestly, how do you hear any noise over the sweet sound of the exhaust, or the 12 speaker B&O sound system? Just open the exhaust valves, and turn up the radio. The sound will go away. :crackup:

OP
OP
Jago768

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Still getting strange noises.... is it normal that the air filter makes a whistle noise (like a turbo blow off valve) when you give it a few revs?
Sponsored