Sponsored

Octane boosters, race fuel etc

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
What high octane is appropriate for occasional use on street or track.
Did u use high octane gas? Whose?
Did u use a booster? Whose?
Sponsored

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Am I mistaken or have I read elsewhere on this forum the Voodoo engines are tuned for 100 octane ?
I occasionally will fill up with Sunoco 260 racing.....there's a difference.

cobra4ever

msteck
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350R HR427
I use BND Automotive and there is a remarkable difference in throttle response

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
There was a post on another forum where a guy dyno'd with Sunono 260 98 oct, and there was a fairly significant increase over normal pump gas. From memory peak gains weren't crazy (maybe 8 hp), but there was a large increase in area under curve in the mid-upper rpm range. Unfortunately you can't see the graphs anymore because they were hosted on photobucket. Google "GT350 dyno results - 98 octane versus 91 octane gas" and it's the top result.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Octane booster will not perform anywhere near as well as higher octane gasoline or race fuel.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I may have to pick up some cans of 260GT this summer and give it a try

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
YES! The ECU adjust for higher octane in the VooDoo per FP and the butt dyno. Skip the boosters and get the real deal race fuel when needed. I use Sunoco 260GT which is 100 octane at the track religiously.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
boosters are too expensive and will not usually get you to a high enough octane to reach much closer to MBT. The car is very knock limited, you get a noticeable increase in power and especially torque at tip in with high octane. As mentioned Race gas is best. fill up and give it a few miles for the ecu and wham, easy power.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
What I don't know about gasoline and ECUs is a lot. But based on a quick search, it appears high performance (race) gasoline has a ~5% increase in specific energy (energy per unit mass) over conventional gas. This should indeed lead to more power production.

To say the engine recognizes the use of high performance fuel (HPF), and thus produces more power, above what the fuel itself provides, I think is a stretch. In order for this to be the case, the engine would need to be factory tuned specifically for the HPF. Use of normal fuel would be recognized by the ECU and parameters would be scaled back to accommodate this lower grade (normal) fuel. This would mean every time the engine is started, it's expecting the HPF and then scales back. I just can't see that being the case, but I could be wrong.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I used 93 for the first day and a half at Daytona last December. I then used race gas afterwards (100 i believe) and noticed a difference. If someone had access to a dyno, they should do a comparison. I absolutely noticed a difference. It is my understanding that the ignition will advance to a point of preignition and detonation, and then the ecu will back it off. This will produce more HP.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Question is: Does the ECU baseline tune assume bad gas is being use and then scales up the parameters, or does it assume race fuel is used and scales back the parameters. My gut would be the later, except, instead of assuming race fuel, it assumes high quality normal pump gas, and scales back parameters if lower grade fuel is detected. But, like I stated, I really don't know, just surmising.

The extra power felt can be attributed to the increased energy content of the race fuel and is not necessarily due to engine management.

Sir_Apoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Question is: Does the ECU baseline tune assume bad gas is being use and then scales up the parameters, or does it assume race fuel is used and scales back the parameters. My gut would be the later, except, instead of assuming race fuel, it assumes high quality normal pump gas, and scales back parameters if lower grade fuel is detected. But, like I stated, I really don't know, just surmising.

The extra power felt can be attributed to the increased energy content of the race fuel and is not necessarily due to engine management.
Probably starts high and dials back the knock until no detonation. That would be my guess too. But seems like it would be safer to do the former, though that would suggest additional programming logic, which is additional complexity, which then suggests that the simplest answer is the correct one :). Engine management would have to be taking advantage of the extra octane though to get that power. The more powerful gas alone wouldn't do it. All things being equal/unchanged, you'll get the most power from the LOWEST octane rating your engine can utilize fully, as it will burn the quickest.

Thinking about it more though, it's probably it's the former, as the engine has different timing during warmup mode anyways, so it likely just keeps adding it until it has to back it off as it moves over to it's normal operating temps. But I haven't tuned a car that was newer than mid 90's so things could be a lot different by now :).
Sponsored