Sponsored

Not a fair comparison at all. CVT Civic vs. Mustang GT

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Full transparancy, I do have a bunch of Steeda suspension parts that transform the car
yup the Steeda parts (or BMR equiv) make all the difference. It really is sad how wide of the mark the Ford factory effort is.
Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
yup the Steeda parts (or BMR equiv) make all the difference. It really is sad how wide of the mark the Ford factory effort is.
They do. That said, other than maybe the GT350, the S550 while competent is more of a Grand Tourer than an ultra light track machine. I am fine with that. It's like comparing a Sport Standard to a Race Replica motorcycle.

I love both, but I am impressed with the overall balance of the S550. This is my first Mustang, had a long line of Euro cars, but am very happy with it.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
My old FBO RSX-S was so much fun. Lightweight, could take turns at full throttle, could redline it without going too illegal in the speed. 40mpg+ after the mods. I still wish I to have It back.

If I could have only it again or the Mustang, I'd keep the Mustang. The sound, the feel, the 1st to 2nd to 3rd shits at redline are too much fun.

OP
OP
Jazzman0718

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Theyā€™re two entirely different types of cars, but I get what youā€™re saying, since I own a GT350 and a ā€˜17 Civic with a CVT.

The Civic dominates commutes. It gets 34MPG combined. I donā€™t feel like I need to open up the throttle every second because there isnā€™t a reward for it, so Iā€™m a much more relaxed driver as a result. The steering is accurate and the ratio is quick at something like 11 or 12:1. I can store mad shit in the trunk and back seats. I donā€™t get unwanted attention. Itā€™s got a tiny footprint and a low curb weight so direction change is immediate.

But thatā€™s what itā€™s designed for and thatā€™s where the fun stops. Iā€™d go crazy if I knew that I didnā€™t have a fun option sitting aside.

The Mustang is loud and obnoxious and feels like a tank in terms of sheer size and metal wrapped around you. The steering is slower, but ten times more vibrant. I get 12MPG and have to fill up for every 2-3 days worth of driving. It gets attention from everyone and turns local traffic into wannabe racers.

But commuting in everyday traffic isnā€™t any slower feeling. Just different.

024068F9-A9DA-4CAE-B2FE-54A554C5AD45.jpeg
DUDE. You SAID it. Language AND car appreciation. It was 33 degrees with a light mix yesterday when I took the Civic around a highway on-ramp (with my PRACTICAL Michelin all-weathers) pushing irresponsibly just a bit to see if I'd get a little slip (I didn't). I would never try that in the Mustang. The civic allows me precession control where you have to wrestle the bombastic Mustang and need more room/time to make corrections. I can handle the tail shaking loose but it's heart-attack territory. The difference between thrilling fun and the plain satisfaction of knowing you'll control the exact line you intended, I suppose.

Deleted member 13861

I have a 18 WRX and a 19 GT 350 each car is really planted but the Subaru rarely if ever has any issues when pushed hard other than the understeer spoken about earlier. Previously before my 350 I had a 12 GT 500 pullied and tuned now that car would get your attention and make you glad that you have life insurance at times.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How boring it would be for enthusiasts to have a perfect car out of the box, like a BMW.
I'm just saying the base car shouldn't suck so hard. Or have to spend 2000 to fix the silly thing.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'd like to drive a gr86 when they hit dealers. Seen a few new brz, but not the toyota.
I haven't seen a GR86 in the flesh yet, either. Originally I was going to order/buy one of those actually until my wife cleared me to get a Mustang. But I'm still torn, because the 86 would be a great around town car, ton of fun, redline all day long and not worry about smashing into a tree, take turns faster than a Mustang, park easier, etc.

Only thing I'd consider changing on the GR86 would be... well, two things 1) use a Toyota-built inline 4 DOHC instead of the Subaru-sourced boxer engine 2) Give it the appropriate name that it deserves. CELICA.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I haven't seen a GR86 in the flesh yet, either. Originally I was going to order/buy one of those actually until my wife cleared me to get a Mustang. But I'm still torn, because the 86 would be a great around town car, ton of fun, redline all day long and not worry about smashing into a tree, take turns faster than a Mustang, park easier, etc.

Only thing I'd consider changing on the GR86 would be... well, two things 1) use a Toyota-built inline 4 DOHC instead of the Subaru-sourced boxer engine 2) Give it the appropriate name that it deserves. CELICA.
I like for the reasons you stated. I think I'd do the edelbrock blower, just 280-300whp max.

OP
OP
Jazzman0718

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt that a small light slow car feels so much faster and fun than a heavier car. That said, I used to drive Saabs and GTI's and an E-36 M3. My son has the Civic Hatchback turbo model, and while it is a blast and a ton of fun cant hold a candle to my Bullitt in almost any situation.

I also have a Porsche 912 (1976 911 body with 4cyl) The car is a TOTAL hoot to drive balls to the wall, and insanely quick in the tight stuff. Is 1000% more fun, but also can't handle or hold the speeds in my Bullitt.

I actually like throwing the lighter cars around, but for a Grand Touring car with amazing grip, comfort, space and speed, my Bullitt (PP1 with premium packages) is hard to beat for the $$. I wish I still had the M3 to compare it to on track times.

Full transparancy, I do have a bunch of Steeda suspension parts that transform the car, but even stock the Bullitt impressed me compared to the M3,

Regardless, it is wonderful to love what you drive and drive and modify what you love. The more the Merrier.
Epic. That Bullitt sounds like mouth watering perfection. And someday, I wonder if I can test for true love in a Boxster or something of that variety. I bet my GT will always be the rowdy mistress though!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
This thread makes me miss my Mini Cooper JCW! Most fun car I've ever driven by a long shot. And I've jumped a raptor and smacked the speed limiter in a GT500 (okay GT500 experience was more terrifying than fun but I didn't die soooo). I was tired of FWD and the 4 banger sound but the cornering and lightness was awesome! It was lowered and just about FBO stage 2, raced it with the new mustang and was actually pretty close till 80ish when the little turbo stopped being relevant. Mustang only slightly faster and surprisingly not too much worse in the corners. Biggest thing with the mustang for me is that Coyote sound, it simply can not be beat.

mini.jpg

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Ridiculous understeer caused by static 50:50 torque split but slow in floored out works well. Sway bars will not solve it...just a characteristic...or get sti with adjustable split.
Thanks

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I didn't realize Toronto was a suburb of Detroit...
Great place for photos while passing through. Here's one of the Caddy V-wagon I traded in to get the Bullitt (which, by the way, was faster than my Mustang and my MR2 but didn't feel as fast as either, at least not until way above legal speeds):

CTSV.jpg
Sponsored