Nobody likes Mach 1's

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I have not read through all 8 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but IMHO, it's not that I actively dislike the M1 (I don't dislike them at all), it is more a matter of not finding them significantly unique or special as compared to other factory stock Mustang GTs.

Before getting too angry at my comment, let me explain what I mean. While there are significant and valuable mechanical differences between a GT and a M1, most of those differences will only be truly meaningful at the extremes (like you would experience on the track). While most of us (myself included) can appreciate the value of those differences, we also know that they won't make that much difference in your ability to enjoy the car on daily basis (other than by "knowing" that you have a M1).

So while an M1 is a great car, it is still "just" a factory option package and as a result it kind of gets lumped together with other factory stock GTs that anyone could buy. In other words, I have nothing "against" the M1 (and I certainly do not think they are a "rich person's" car), I just don't think they are in a class that is significantly unique and distinct from other high end factory stock Mustangs. You can say the same about GT350s/GT500s and you would be largely right, but for many, they still manage carry that Shelby mystique as a halo. Also, I do suspect that in time, well preserved examples may emerge as being especially and uniquely desirable, but it is too soon for that.

Note that personally, I tend to be more drawn to cars that have been tastefully and skillfully modified/personalized. So while I think M1s are a great example of a great factory car, I probably would not spend any more time checking one out at a local event than I would any other stock late model Mustang.
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Why nowadays people so easily get offended. Can't one express his own opinion freely?
Of course you can, I'm a firm believer in free speech. This is why I gave you my opinion.

Codeblue009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Steeda FJG Mach 1 Handling Package - 6 Speed
Owning a 2016 GT350, I really dig the Mach 1 with handling pack. I tell folks that if I were in the market today for a Mustang that I knew that I would mod, I would get a Mach 1 six-speed with handling pack/rear seat delete in either Eruption Green or Fighter Jet Grey and do the following: ESS supercharger w/125 mm pulley, Soler Performance throttle body, LTH long tube headers with eCOF high flow cats, billet OPG/CG/timing chain tensioner, lightweight battery, lighter driveshaft, thicker front and rear sway bars, upgraded front end links, Steeda dual-rate springs, and BMR cradle lockout kit on 93 octane. That would be a nice weekend occasional daily making decent power. Nothing crazy.
I think I beat you to it. :cool: It also has a QA-1 carbon fiber drive shaft.

www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022-steeda-mach-1-specs.187873/

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Several folks have mentioned that they mostly want to see modded cars. My car isn’t purple chrome or anything but has several visual mods that people who know what factory Machs look like might be able to pick out. These are the kinds of things I go to shows to see on other cars, it’s interesting to see what kinds of creative things other people come up with. It’s like going to an art show. Others mods to my car like the flex tune and custom H pipe aren’t as noticeable…

IMG_5781.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpeg

Codeblue009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Steeda FJG Mach 1 Handling Package - 6 Speed
Several folks have mentioned that they mostly want to see modded cars. My car isn’t purple chrome or anything but has several visual mods that people who know what factory Machs look like might be able to pick out. These are the kinds of things I go to shows to see on other cars, it’s interesting to see what kinds of creative things other people come up with. It’s like going to an art show. Others mods to my car like the flex tune and custom H pipe aren’t as noticeable…

IMG_5781.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpeg
I love your seats Mike. I could not get my Katzkin to have the Mach 1 embroidered on them. They said it was copyrighted by Ford. Did you do your door panels and dash also?

Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I don't understand all the pejoratives about "factory" cars and "bin" parts.
Even hand-built cars come from factories and are put together with parts from boxes and bins.

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, M1s are "special" and always have been but other than the options, badging and flashy image they only a GT "deluxe" as is my Bullitt but it is special to me...and yes I had a M1 a long time ago and it was SPECIAL in spades...R code 428 Super C J Drag Pack Automatic, kinda like the Hellcat of it's day.
20160406_141323 (1).jpg

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have not read through all 8 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but IMHO, it's not that I actively dislike the M1 (I don't dislike them at all), it is more a matter of not finding them significantly unique or special as compared to other factory stock Mustang GTs.

Before getting too angry at my comment, let me explain what I mean. While there are significant and valuable mechanical differences between a GT and a M1, most of those differences will only be truly meaningful at the extremes (like you would experience on the track). While most of us (myself included) can appreciate the value of those differences, we also know that they won't make that much difference in your ability to enjoy the car on daily basis (other than by "knowing" that you have a M1).

So while an M1 is a great car, it is still "just" a factory option package and as a result it kind of gets lumped together with other factory stock GTs that anyone could buy. In other words, I have nothing "against" the M1 (and I certainly do not think they are a "rich person's" car), I just don't think they are in a class that is significantly unique and distinct from other high end factory stock Mustangs. You can say the same about GT350s/GT500s and you would be largely right, but for many, they still manage carry that Shelby mystique as a halo. Also, I do suspect that in time, well preserved examples may emerge as being especially and uniquely desirable, but it is too soon for that.

Note that personally, I tend to be more drawn to cars that have been tastefully and skillfully modified/personalized. So while I think M1s are a great example of a great factory car, I probably would not spend any more time checking one out at a local event than I would any other stock late model Mustang.
Personally I don’t love the looks of the 18 refresh to the front end so when the Mach 1 came out I was very happy and all the rest of the upgrades were a bonus.
I can also tell you a lot of the aero and suspension upgrades makes this car so much smoother at high speeds whic I frequently run at.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I love your seats Mike. I could not get my Katzkin to have the Mach 1 embroidered on them. They said it was copyrighted by Ford. Did you do your door panels and dash also?
Did not do the door panels and dash… watched a couple videos and was not up to gluing.

The headrest embroidery was really easy. I just took the covers to an embroiderer, they looked up the logo online, and a week later they were done. Originally wanted them at the top of the seatback but couldn’t find an embroiderer that could fit the whole seat cover on their machine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Good post Al but you've forgotten one thing.......history. Mustangs are much more than just the parts they are built from. They are flesh and blood, heart and soul. A Mach 1 is no different than a Boss, Bullitt, or a California Special. Each of these "parts bin" cars are special because of their history.

And for anyone who doesn't get this, go buy a nice Honda. They are great modes of transportation.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Damn. I wish you guys WOULD take your Bullitts to shows. I mentioned only ever seeing one Mach in person? That’s one more than the number of Bullitts I’ve seen. It’s like trying to get an up-close experience with Sasquatch.
I’m the opposite, I’ve only seen a Mach 1 in a dealer showroom but I have seen a Bullitt in the wild here. I’ve seen it twice while driving around, the color is even more gorgeous in person and definitely has a unique exhaust note. Not sure if that person is on the forum but if they are, hope to see it again soon!

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Good post Al but you've forgotten one thing.......history. Mustangs are much more than just the parts they are built from. They are flesh and blood, heart and soul. A Mach 1 is no different than a Boss, Bullitt, or a California Special. Each of these "parts bin" cars are special because of their history.

And for anyone who doesn't get this, go buy a nice Honda. They are great modes of transportation.
I agree completely with that. But it is too soon for the current M1s to garner the credit for that history. They need to earn it (or not) over time. In fact, I would go so far as to say that once you are "saddled" (pardon the equestrian related pun) with a moniker that evokes that history, you have even more to prove as a late model option pack car.
Sponsored