happysem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey fellas first post.
Bought a new to me 18 GT about 2 months ago, first Ford and its kicking my butt.

Long story short, 48hrs into ownership I believe I bent the 3-4 shift fork in the MT-82 (driving it like I've driven every LS I've owned).
Finally finished up a T-56 Magnum XL swap after it fighting me every inch of the way, receiving wrong parts, all that jazz.
Now its got the "push clutch to start" message. Searched a ton, played with clutch switch. Looks perfect, tests good, even jumped the connection and no dice.
The only way I can get it to start now is with my remote start trigger switch routed up into the car.
The push to start button only turns on/off the electrical power to the car, flashes green.
Can't do any conceivable combo of pushing the clutch, brake, spamming the button, holding the button, no change. I don't think that "bypass" works for 2018s.
The switch way at the top of the clutch pedal also looks fine, but haven't tested - think that's cruise control only?
Checked all the fuses I could under the hood and in passenger footwell, replaced one that was giving a weird reading but no change.

Anyone have any other bright ideas before I give it back to Ford in a month when they have availability?

Unrelated, but also fighting the crank relearn process. It seemed to work with HPT/VCM Scanner but the code is still there, and now the software won't connect to the car anymore. Going to try with another handheld that came with the car later today.

Edit: Forgot, also another unrelated strange problem. After I walk away from the car, even with the key FOB in the house, I can hear a really high pitched tone from the right side of the engine bay, then a relay click on the left side, then the throttle body actuates pretty loudly. It does this 4-5 times about every 30 seconds after I leave the car alone. Very weird.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Read the PCM PIDs with Forscan, there are a bunch of the called something by "engine start not allowed by...", it should point you close to the reason the engine won't start.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
OP
OP

happysem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Forgot to update, Forscan didn't pick up anything related, and the pads are fully intact. Everything looks brand new on it. Given up, just waiting on Ford or another shop to have availability to check it out. Will update what it is if/when they find it.

Sponsored

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
Forgot to update, Forscan didn't pick up anything related, and the pads are fully intact. Everything looks brand new on it. Given up, just waiting on Ford or another shop to have availability to check it out. Will update what it is if/when they find it.
I had a similar issue with my ecoboost, check if the clutch actuator sensor behind the clutch pedal is reset - sometimes it gets pushed in too deep when you work near it, and then u have to reset it, as it auto adjusts length when you clutch in and then doesnt come out more once pushed in “too deep”
Had the same issue, it wouldnt read the clutch in for the start procedure. For manual cars, brake sensor doesnt exist, only auto cars have that for startup

OP
OP

happysem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
yea, tried that one too, took apart switch, cleaned contacts, measured resistance, reset plunger length. Something else inside the car is upset. Appreciate the help though fellas

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Rethinking this, it wouldn't have been a pad, the missing pad would make the computer think the clutch pedal is depressed and it doesn't because of the "push clutch to start" message.

So it knows the clutch is up, it doesn't know the clutch is down, so my first guess would be the switch. But based on your update above, probably not.

Keep us posted.
Sponsored

Last edited: