Sponsored

No driving a manual does not make you smarter, more skilled, a better driver or more of a car guy.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Jesus Im so tired of hearing this crap at every flippin car meet. Like driving a manual makes you a superior being. I can promise your clutch does not support your argument on that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Sure about that?
The superior being or the clutch LOL. I know a lot of bad manual drivers that should really consider a automatic.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Jesus Im so tired of hearing this crap at every flippin car meet. Like driving a manual makes you a superior being. I can promise your clutch does not support your argument on that.
It certainly makes you a better driver, because you can drive more vehicles. Most of the world would look at you like you are an idiot if you can't drive a manual and try to act like you are a good driver.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you take an average manual driver and compare to an average auto driver, pretty sure that the manual driver will be better in many ways. Certainly, there are exceptions. Also, to really compare the two, one needs to be able to drive both auto and manual. So unless one also drives a manual, one's opinion probably doesn't count. All that drive a manual can also drive an automatic and picked the manual for a reason.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
People that act superior or that only real men have three pedals are compensating.
majority of my past cars have been manual and never have talked down to anyone with an auto. Drive what you want. Both of my knees are shot and couldnā€™t deal with a manual anymore.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It certainly makes you a better driver, because you can drive more vehicles. Most of the world would look at you like you are an idiot if you can't drive a manual and try to act like you are a good driver.
I can drive a manual have for 30 years. And what you are saying is not the context in which its meant in car meets . They are saying the fact that they drive a manual makes them a better driver. Being able to drive more vehicles does not make you a better driver it just means you can drive a variety of vehicles. Just because you can drive a larger variety of cars and trucks does not make you a good driver. Just like owning 30 guns of all types and the fact you can shoot 30 guns of all types does not mean you are a good shot.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I heard you can drive as well as you type.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes it does though, lol. Its inherently more work and skill to drive a manual car well. Autos are so easy these days. Obviously it doesn't make you a better person or more of a "man", but you are factually doing more.

I daily an auto but for a fun car, manual takes it to the next level for me. I've had a nice dual clutch but it's just boring, lol. On track it wouldn't be, but how much of our driving time do we spend on track? .01%? I wanna have fun as often as possible and just smashing the go pedal down isn't enough.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I'd think that somebody who races a manual at some point may be a better skilled driver. Knowing car balance, shift points, and how to properly heel-toe to not disturb the car balance has some importance. Should you eventually go to a PDK, 10-speed, or sequential at some later point, fine, but you'd still understand car balance and know the effects of disturbing it do to your car and its relationship to its lap times.

Some of the people I've instructed who've never driven a manual just grenade the brake and mash the gas, with the car all over the place, and it takes a while to explain the balance, whereas somebody with any experience driving a manual generally doesn't need to be told it, having a slight advantage for their first day on the track.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
It'll always be something wrong with YOUR car. If not the trans then they'll tell you what tires you should have, or what exhaust sounds best. If you have a supercharger they'll say turbos are better. If you have a turbo they'll say twins are better for the street. No matter what they will always find something about your car to flap there lips about.
Sponsored