Sponsored

Nitto R888R Or MT ET ss tires best street for boost??

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Ready to buy tires for my 19GT for my INDY500 tire with 1700 miles are like driving on ice with my newly installed whipple stage 2, QA1 CFDS. Thanks
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Are you going with the same size tire? If so, I don't know your really going to feel much of a difference. I've run indys, mp4s and R2s in 275/40 on the factory pp1 wheels and traction was pretty much the same. However, putting my 305/45r17 with R2s on is a huge difference in traction.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Are you going with the same size tire? If so, I don't know your really going to feel much of a difference. I've run indys, mp4s and R2s in 275/40 on the factory pp1 wheels and traction was pretty much the same. However, putting my 305/45r17 with R2s on is a huge difference in traction.
Just curious, is it the width that makes the difference here? I had thought composition was the big factor. I’m soon to be needing to make similar decisions.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
NT555RII require heat to work properly, as do all street legal drag radials. They’ll give you much better grip if you do a short burnout on them or if you’ve gotten them up to temp through steady driving. Don’t try to launch on them cold or you’ll be ice skating again.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, is it the width that makes the difference here? I had thought composition was the big factor. I’m soon to be needing to make similar decisions.
I'm sure the width helps but it's more sidewall that really makes the larger wheels hook better. When drag racing at least. If your more concerned with cornering there are better options with wider tires and less sidewall. The main point of my comment is switching from high performance summer tires to R2s of the same size doesn't really justify the expense. Unless you heat up the DRs they really don't hook better on the street and they wear faster.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
switching from high performance summer tires to R2s of the same size doesn't really justify the expense. Unless you heat up the DRs they really don't hook better on the street and they wear faster.
Have you ran both? I don't find this to be the case at all. Drag radials hook up a gear earlier for me.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Have you ran both? I don't find this to be the case at all. Drag radials hook up a gear earlier for me.
Yes as I said in the first post I've ran mp4s, indys and R2s on my TT car in the 275/40 and even heating the nittos up didn't make much difference on the street. Using nittos on my drag pack wheels did make a good difference but it's a larger tire with more sidewall. Which tires are you comparing the DRs too? And are you running on the street or strip?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes as I said in the first post I've ran mp4s, indys and R2s on my TT car in the 275/40 and even heating the nittos up didn't make much difference on the street. Using nittos on my drag pack wheels did make a good difference but it's a larger tire with more sidewall. Which tires are you comparing the DRs too? And are you running on the street or strip?
Street.

Comparison tires are Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin PS4S, Conti Extreme Contact

A 300tw summer tire is not going to compare to a 100tw drag radial. Even if you have not done a burnout.

I suppose you could have your suspension setup so poorly for drag racing that a drag radial won't hook at better.

When people say their summer tire is as good as a drag radial on the street, i wonder if they are just hammering it from a dig and hoping they will hook when they won't.

It's kind of like the people who say their drag radials are just as good as whatever other tire "in the canyons" or at autox.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I want tires I don't have to stop in traffic and do a burn out just to be able to run through the gears with predictable control and reduced spinning and still feel secure when going around corners or at spirited speeds. Which ones dod you like the best for all around street driving. Thanks for your help

Sponsored

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
I'm sure the width helps but it's more sidewall that really makes the larger wheels hook better. When drag racing at least. If your more concerned with cornering there are better options with wider tires and less sidewall. The main point of my comment is switching from high performance summer tires to R2s of the same size doesn't really justify the expense. Unless you heat up the DRs they really don't hook better on the street and they wear faster.
Thank you man. That lit the lightbulb for me. Personally, I am just interested in spirited driving and some rural rolls. Probably won’t see a dragstrip ever or at least often, and I’m not very interested in handling. I am coming to terms with the fact that I probably just need a wheel/tire set up for playtime with 700-800 hp, and a wheel/tire set up for daily driving.

I was probably going to pick up an extra rear set of PP1 and put something like MT street SS on them. But the larger sidewall makes sense.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ready to buy tires for my 19GT for my INDY500 tire with 1700 miles are like driving on ice with my newly installed whipple stage 2, QA1 CFDS. Thanks
I'm boosted and I run the R2 from April until fall. They're fine in the rain and hook up great in the dry.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want tires I don't have to stop in traffic and do a burn out just to be able to run through the gears with predictable control and reduced spinning and still feel secure when going around corners or at spirited speeds. Which ones dod you like the best for all around street driving. Thanks for your help
You don't need to heat up a dr on the street

I drive with them basically all the time. I keep another set of rears with non-drag radials on them for early spring/late fall. But I don't really drive my car when it's below 55 or so out.

Without the drag radials I have no chance of hooking up at 40mph or so (Whipple). So unless it's the highway it's possible to be slower than a stock car because you're spinning.

I run the RII but from what everyone says the MT's are a bit better (and more expensive and not as long lasting). I would probably go with the MT and a 305/45-17 if I switched over to E85.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Street.

Comparison tires are Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin PS4S, Conti Extreme Contact

A 300tw summer tire is not going to compare to a 100tw drag radial. Even if you have not done a burnout.

I suppose you could have your suspension setup so poorly for drag racing that a drag radial won't hook at better.

When people say their summer tire is as good as a drag radial on the street, i wonder if they are just hammering it from a dig and hoping they will hook when they won't.

It's kind of like the people who say their drag radials are just as good as whatever other tire "in the canyons" or at autox.
Plenty of throttle manipulation and yes suspension is pretty basic. It was built for the street not the strip. Still has no issues smoking anything that trys to run me. Even with an mt82 and firehawks on the rear the vast majority of the year.
Sponsored