Sponsored

New to GT350

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
I don't currently have one but I might have the opportunity to get one, a 2017 Ruby Red factory stripe delete with 32k miles. I know the first gen engines had some issues, but were they very bad for a car that isn't going to be driven a lot? And never on a track or drag strip. Like I said, I don't know much about them but I have always been an admirer.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This has been brought up and gone over at naeseum. There are so many threads its ridiculous. The short answer is in your situation with that particular car and mileage the overall condition and history(like any used car) will tell you if its a good purchase or not. There are aftermarket warranty’s out there that you can purchase that will cover the powertrain if you need some peace of mind. These cars are amazing, regardless of year.

greengoblinmach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG Mach 1
I've wanted a GT350 since they came out, it was my dream car. I could've bought a 2017 gt350 in February and weighed it against the Mach 1.

My summary of research on the Voodoo is this:
  1. Need track pack or 17+ car for all cooling
  2. Some early ones ate oil (some of them check each time you fill up w fuel, kind of ate)
  3. Low oil caused issues if not topped up
  4. Ford replaced engines in early cars, sometimes, due to excessive oil consumption.
  5. Gen2 engines had better luck with oil burning
  6. Many cars are out there that do not have the oil consumption issue
Also, it sounds like if you're not going to track it, the voodoo may not be at home. I understand that that engine needs to rev.

I couldn't pull the trigger on any GT350 since I couldn't find one that had the engine replaced or that I knew had the oil level monitored throughout it's life. With those requirements not satisfied, there was too high a risk (real or perceived) so, I bought a brand new Mach 1 for similar money. Basically, I couldn't find an example I'd be happy with in my budget.

Just my $.02 and a summary of my research. If you do some searching, you will find PLENTY of information on this - just be careful, you might go crazy with the volume of information across various forums on this topic lol

Also, keep in mind: if you like something, don't search for it on the internet..

Last edited:
OP
OP
22MAVXLT

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Yeah I already knew of the oil burn issue. The owner is checking to see if the engine was replaced by the previous owner or not. I will say probably not as an older gentleman had it. But we will see. Interior is a 10 out of 10 and exterior is a 9 out of 10. Nothing a good paint correction and ceramic coat can't fix.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
With those miles, I would say you’re most likely good. I say go for it! I’ve had my ‘17 for over 6 years and 38k amazing miles!

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Use the vin and call a dealer and have the oasis run. It’ll tell you all warranty work that was done.

Yeah I already knew of the oil burn issue. The owner is checking to see if the engine was replaced by the previous owner or not. I will say probably not as an older gentleman had it. But we will see. Interior is a 10 out of 10 and exterior is a 9 out of 10. Nothing a good paint correction and ceramic coat can't fix.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Pull drivers side plug/valve cover thing (It just pushes in, I should know the technical name). If the sticker on the bottom side says Gen II, you have a Gen II.

I have a gen 1. When flogging the car, it doesn't burn oil. But drive the car nicely to work, it consumes it like a fish does water. I only ever go about 500-1000 miles on an oil change. The older the oil, the faster the car consumes it. And the engine likes Castrol far better than Motorcraft. I could only ever get about 500 miles before it was consuming oil in massive quantities.

Having driven a couple GT's at various levels of modification, the GT350 brakes are like no other Mustang (I'd argue better than the 500 because the car is lighter). The '19s and newer have a plethora of upgrades from the 2018s and older.

Go to the GT350 specific section and you can read all your heart desires on the differences.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Like Wilto says, Check to see if it says GT350R or KA under the valve cover thingy. The first numbers are production year on the new motor as well.

Like others have said, this has been discussed ad nauseum. Buy the car, immidiately buy the ESP warranty, send it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
22MAVXLT

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I am going tomorrow to pay off my '22. I paid off my truck this afternoon. Now, I have to wait and see if my buddy is actually going to sell the GT350. What would ya'll say is a fair price?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Need more info and a few pics for that. :rockon:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I am going tomorrow to pay off my '22. I paid off my truck this afternoon. Now, I have to wait and see if my buddy is actually going to sell the GT350. What would ya'll say is a fair price?

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Pull drivers side plug/valve cover thing (It just pushes in, I should know the technical name). If the sticker on the bottom side says Gen II, you have a Gen II.

I have a gen 1. When flogging the car, it doesn't burn oil. But drive the car nicely to work, it consumes it like a fish does water. I only ever go about 500-1000 miles on an oil change. The older the oil, the faster the car consumes it. And the engine likes Castrol far better than Motorcraft. I could only ever get about 500 miles before it was consuming oil in massive quantities.

Having driven a couple GT's at various levels of modification, the GT350 brakes are like no other Mustang (I'd argue better than the 500 because the car is lighter). The '19s and newer have a plethora of upgrades from the 2018s and older.

Go to the GT350 specific section and you can read all your heart desires on the differences.
500-1,000 miles on an oil change???

OP
OP
22MAVXLT

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
Well, my Daughter wrecked her car last Thursday, she hit a deer and messed it up pretty good so I am going to have to pass on the 350 for now. We don't know what is going to come out of this situation, so it's probably best I don't spend $50k right now.
9CADE3E6-1907-46CA-B190-A0EEA654677B.jpeg

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
500-1,000 miles on an oil change???
I do a lot of autocross. Buy about the 8th event, the oil is starting to break down. Which equates to about 500-1000 miles.

I don't drive the car much outside of event days, especially in these East Texas summers.
Sponsored