Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Does anyone know what specifically is different with the new USB hub? does it have a more robust power supply, or maybe just some chip to handshake with apple?

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what specifically is different with the new USB hub? does it have a more robust power supply, or maybe just some chip to handshake with apple?
I wondered too and I was told its for apple to "handshake" as you said

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Updating my unit right now on a trickle charger and 8gb stick. Didn't want to drive around aimlessly for a half our or leave the car idling that long, we'll see how it goes.

ETA: I have a non-nav unit, and I'm getting the MEM_ERR03 error. Reading the instructions to work around this and oh-my-god, what a f**ing pain in the ass. How dumb is it that Ford expects this to work for average joe? The non-nav units literally don't have enough RAM for the install process to work. Do they even test this shit before they send it out?

ETAx2: Please see my post in this thread (as well as [MENTION=27148]Bubbadini[/MENTION] 's instructions on the first page of that thread) for help with resolving the MEM_ERR03 error on a non-nav Sync 3 APIM.

Last edited:

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Well, typical of my luck with technology, I wasn't able to update.
1. Got a brand new SanDisk 32gb USB drive.
2. Formatted it to Exfat.
3. Downloaded zip file from Ford website.
4. Unzipped/Extracted the whole folder.
5. Transferred that entire folder to USB drive.
6. Started car, turned off Bluetooth.
7. Inserted USB, recognized device, waited 10-15 minutes but never got the "Updating System Software"
No idea what I did/am doing wrong. :shrug: Does it matter if I never updated from 1.0v to 2.2v/2.3v first?? I'm sure it's something stupid I'm missing but technology and I just don't mesh. :headbonk:

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
Does your USB drive have a built-in activity light which flashes when its being read? If so, then that is a good way to know that it is still copying files - and you didn't give it enough time to complete before pulling it out!

You will only get the "system update in progress" message AFTER the files have finished being copied across. Your new USB should be quick, older USB's can take 20+ mins to copy.

Other than that, there are other reasons it didn't detect - if you scroll back a few pages on this thread you can read what others did with theirs - good luck! :)

PS. is 1st April - where is the WAZE update already!!! :) :) :)

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Does your USB drive have a built-in activity light which flashes when its being read? If so, then that is a good way to know that it is still copying files - and you didn't give it enough time to complete before pulling it out!

You will only get the "system update in progress" message AFTER the files have finished being copied across. Your new USB should be quick, older USB's can take 20+ mins to copy.

Other than that, there are other reasons it didn't detect - if you scroll back a few pages on this thread you can read what others did with theirs - good luck! :)

PS. is 1st April - where is the WAZE update already!!! :) :) :)
It flashed when it was first inserted but went away after it "recognized" it. I assumed after 10-15 minutes of driving with no flashing, it wasn't reading it. If I try it again in the next few days am I going to need to do a factory reset?

rpitsing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Prem Convertable PP EcoBoost 201A
I’m was only able to update using Windows, not Mac. Extract files from within Windows and then copy over to the ExFat usb Drive. Apparently Mac adds some hidden files to the usb drive that causes the head to choke. Sad, the engineering team couldn’t test.
I used VMware to emulate a Windows 10 image and had no problems after losing an hour doing the same this on my Mac.
Nothing really lets you know it working -for awhile, just sit and watch screen for 20 minutes.

Once complete, Upload the new file written to the usb Drive and send to Ford. Now I see the automatic system WiFi looking for and downloading upgrades wirelessly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I’m was only able to update using Windows, not Mac. Extract files from within Windows and then copy over to the ExFat usb Drive. Apparently Mac heads some hidden files to the usb drive that cause the head to choke.
Used Windows 10.....:shrug:

Kakemone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well, typical of my luck with technology, I wasn't able to update.
1. Got a brand new SanDisk 32gb USB drive.
2. Formatted it to Exfat.
3. Downloaded zip file from Ford website.
4. Unzipped/Extracted the whole folder.
5. Transferred that entire folder to USB drive.
6. Started car, turned off Bluetooth.
7. Inserted USB, recognized device, waited 10-15 minutes but never got the "Updating System Software"
No idea what I did/am doing wrong. :shrug: Does it matter if I never updated from 1.0v to 2.2v/2.3v first?? I'm sure it's something stupid I'm missing but technology and I just don't mesh. :headbonk:
Don’t copy the whole folder onto the usb drive but the auto install file and the other folder containing the files with the update. That way when you plug in the drive the system will detect it and will start the update
Basically the problem is with step 5

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My update didn't take anywhere near as long as some of you guys are reporting.

acool on the F150Forum said that the APIM can actually have some issues reading exFAT with good speed. FAT32 works just fine for this update without introducing a speed problem, and that's what I used.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Don’t copy the whole folder onto the usb drive but the auto install file and the other folder containing the files with the update. That way when you plug in the drive the system will detect it and will start the update
Basically the problem is with step 5
Are you saying that I just need to transfer the "SyncMyRide" files only to the USB? This is what is on my USB
Screenshot_20180401-093333-768x1579.jpg

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
does anyone know for sure if Ford dealers now have the ability to upgrade to Sync 3 and have the tools to access Sync 3? Reason I'm asking is I've updated to Sync 3 months ago but had to have a new rear view camera installed and at the time the dealer was not able to activate it because they didn't have the ability to communicate with Sync 3 at the time. Thanks in advance for any insight. :cheers:
Sponsored