Sponsored

New Shelby GT350 Mustang Revealed! 5.2L Flat Plane Crank V8, 500+HP / 400 LB-FT

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Any hedge fund guys hiring here? I need more coin so I can have this in my garage ASAP.
Sponsored

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
Hey photoshop guys can we please see some different colors. Please and thank you.

Wheels, tires, brakes, and recaros in a GT Track Pack would be awesome.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
This is a serious development. Too bad Ford didn't use at least the front tires here on the Mustang GT, but now we know why. I really like this one and am wondering what it will cost. I guessed 54-64k and was wildly booed... as if I was ASKING for a high price. I was simply taking into consideration what I saw and I saw an EXPENSIVE build!

I want one for fun.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' GT500
Hats off to Ford; terrific job. I was skeptical of a flat crank making it into production (even though Tear the Horizon said it was a sure thing). I find the 8200 redline borderline unbelievable and wonder about the details of the warranty. For comparison:

Average piston speed (in meters/sec):

GT350 5.2 @ 8200 rpm: 25.3
NASCAR 358 (nominal) @ 9400 rpm: 25.9
Ferrari F163FB @ 9000 rpm: 24.3
Honda F20C @ 8900 rpm: 24.9

Peak piston acceleration (in g's):
GT350 5.2 @ 8200 rpm: 4,560
NASCAR 358 (nominal) @ 9400 rpm: 5,154
Ferrari F163FB @ 9000 rpm: 4,662
Honda F20C @ 8900 rpm: 4,745

Force is what breaks things (remember F=dp/dt = m*a for constant mass, anyone? Bueller?) so accel's aren't the only factor -- mass comes into play also. Bore of the 5.2 is likely 94.0 mm, same as the F163FB. So we're probably looking at inertial forces very similar to that in the Ferrari and frictional forces about 4% greater.

Engine has to have absolutely top-shelf pistons, rods, and wrist pins (and rings, and cap screws, etc.). Perhaps titanium rods and pins? Perhaps Carrillo or Oliver quality steel rods? Pistons will have to be bullet-proof and super light.

Going to be pricey...

Given the high redline (higher than I was expecting) and using my previous guesstimates for VE (105% at max power) and BSFC (0.50 at max power), I get ~570 horse @ 8200 rpm. 500 horse at 8200 needs only rather pedestrian values, so I have a feeling Ford will surpass 500 horse by a good margin.

Otherwise, any details about the shift linkage? Given Ford has gone to a flat crank, they can't be too concerned w/ NVH and so hopefully the linkage won't be attached to the body.
Nice analysis and summary of the comparable engines. :thumbsup:

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
I was fortunate to be extended an invitation to this event today by one of the higher ups at Ford. The car, for me, hits all of the right notes in the right places. It will likely be a bit lighter than the GT/PP, but not by much. The weight savings they got out of the front radiator support and other parts will be picked up by larger diameter exhaust, heavier transmission, bigger brakes (4 pistons on the rears), etc. Nice to see the Tremec 6-speed rather than the MT-82, however, the shift pattern is the same with the Reverse in the upper left next to 1st gear, which I like. The new Recaro seats in cloth look great and the upper part of them looks like a cobra head. Exhaust note was nice, not too loud or raspy. Not sure how they are going to handle the harmonic balancing of the FPC in this new motor, but nonetheless, it will be a free revving monster!

Steve Ling, their Marketing Manager would not release an exact date for when the order books would be open, but my guess would be spring 2015.

I asked Aaron Shelby, grandson of Carroll, what he thought his grandfather would say about the new GT350, and he said he would be very proud of it and do backflips.

Henry Ford III also said that the Ford Family really wanted to get this right, both for the public as well as Carroll's legacy (but even Joe Hinrichs grimaced when we mentioned there weren't more "Shelby" names on the car other than the front splitter; every time his name is on the car, SA gets a licensing fee for it).

305's in the rear and 295's in the front on 19x11 and 19x10.5 wheels. Fat meats! Michelin Pilot Super Sports - state of the art. Magnetic shocks will really make this car sing and beat the sh*t out of the Z28. I also found out why Ford is going to all black wheels on their performance models - owners seem to hate cleaning off the brake dust from their wheels. Personally, I don't mind the black wheels, but prefer the front faces to be machined to give that silver edge (similar to the Boss 302LS Wheels).

Also had a chance to chat with Matt Stone, who's previously written for Motor Trend, Motor Trend Classics and has been on the Barrett Jackson broadcasts, which are all going to the Velocity Channel. He was very impressed with it. Too bad his former compatriots at MT are a bunch of morons. But once they test this against the Z/28 they will realize what an overpriced POS the Z/28 is.

I died and went to heaven today, and my checkbook is ready. OPEN THE ORDER BANKS! :shocked:

289isfine

289isfine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1200R
How far from Los Angeles I will need to travel for one at sticker price..?...

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
All I can say is, WOW!!
:shocked: :ford:

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
So, which one of you guys will be the first to order vanity plates for the GT350 that reads "I-E-A-T-Z28"?

Considering how the Mustang GT almost nudged out the Porche 911 GT3 in the Road and Track PCOTY competition, I think I know which car might win next year.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I asked Aaron Shelby, grandson of Carroll, what he thought his grandfather would say about the new GT350, and he said he would be very proud of it and do backflips.

Henry Ford III also said that the Ford Family really wanted to get this right, both for the public as well as Carroll's legacy

Thank you. I was lucky enough to meet these two gentlemen (as well as many other famous faces such as Parnelli Jones) at the Shelby Bash for the 50th. Both a superb brand ambassadors, full of enthusiasm and happy to talk to mere mortals like me. And automobiles aren't even Aaron's day job, he's in finance.......but I guess it's in his DNA from his grandfather.

This is an amazing car. I'll take mine in the grey/black colour scheme seen in the CGI video, assuming that grey is accurate.

And I don't care if they don't sell it officially here in the UK. A LHD personal import would feel more "real", anyway :)

nonnex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I fear that this GT350 is americas only :(

Any inside info about international availability (esp. Germany) yet?

I would not be very happy to do a personal import, but if there is no other way to get it, I would take the additional import and EUR modification costs if the specs are still that good in detail and tests.

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Said they something about weight, price and launch date?

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Thank you. I was lucky enough to meet these two gentlemen (as well as many other famous faces such as Parnelli Jones) at the Shelby Bash for the 50th. Both a superb brand ambassadors, full of enthusiasm and happy to talk to mere mortals like me. And automobiles aren't even Aaron's day job, he's in finance.......but I guess it's in his DNA from his grandfather.

This is an amazing car. I'll take mine in the grey/black colour scheme seen in the CGI video, assuming that grey is accurate.

And I don't care if they don't sell it officially here in the UK. A LHD personal import would feel more "real", anyway :)
DO IT PAUL!!!

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Definitely. Saw same thing from day one. Love it love it love it.

I Agree 100%! I too suggested Predator after the Nurburgring pics showed up. Besides We've had Terminator why Not Predator? It just sounds Bad Ass!
Sponsored