GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's the point, they're like 30 years too late with everyone moving to electric.

So is the limit 75db ? :shock:
Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Mustang specifically mentioned, seems to depend on which Mustang you have with regards to flexibility on noise!

So more bhp per tonne the better. Wish they'd use BHP and not KW, I have no idea what my car is in KW without converting!

With regards to the acoustic cameras, surely if I just dip my clutch when I go past it'll reduced the dB level?
They have already started issuing fines in Kensington & Chelsea

Chelsea's 'noise cameras' snared 130 drivers with loud engines in their first 11 days switched on | Daily Mail Online

Noise cameras aim to stamp out loud cars - Confused.com

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
That will be to catch all those Middle Eastern Lamborghini drivers not our good old Americana machines.

Don’t forget the special relationship !!
I agree that the RBK&C is focused on Lambo drivers that make an insane amount of noise around town. However, it's clear that the trend in the UK is towards noise suppression. Thankfully, most councils do not have the RBK&C's budget.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
A lot of homologated cars can exceed 80db, so there is a legal conflict between driving a car certified and homologated for the U.K. and then trying to fine the driver for driving that car.

Furthermore, db is sensitive to range/distance between the source of the sound and the detector. This is very weak enforcement and I expect one of the wealthy who will be fined, to fight the ticket and set a president which will render these cameras, void and null!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't know the UK law, but over here there's absolutely nothing they could conceivably do as long as I had the stock exhaust on a car that's been legally homologated and registered. So, if it ever crosses their mind to do this here, I will drive past the detectors at 7000 rpm in Track mode just to spite them. :devil:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Why just the manual? You can take an automatic to 7000 rpm just as easily. Actually, even more easily, because you can just floor it without having to mind the rev counter.

Anyway, what this means is merely that the UK (and possibly the EU as well) will be returning to the pre-2015 era, when people who wanted Mustangs had to import them themselves. There's nothing wrong with a US-spec Mustang (or an Aussie-spec, if you want it with RHD).

Last edited:

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Why just the manual? You can take an automatic to 7000 rpm just as easily. Actually, even more easily, because you can just floor it without having to mind the rev counter.
That makes no sense to me either. Getting pretty sick of the way it's going over here, fuel now 1.61 a litre for super, speed limits being reduced by 10 mph, the 20s are a right nuisance in the mustang. Sigh

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what Porsche came up against and the explanation on why the manual is penalised :

SAE J1470 aims to measure "the highest noise level consistent with urban driving." The exact testing method varies based on vehicle size, power output, peak acceleration rate, and gearing, but generally, it involves a full-throttle run starting at 50 km/h (31 mph) and continuing until the engine reaches its peak-power rpm. Manual-transmission vehicles are tested in either second or third gear; given the GT3's curb weight and power output, the procedure calls for third.

Here's the thing: Automatic-transmission vehicles aren't necessarily tested at wide-open throttle. The method specified in J1470 states that "the throttle shall, as rapidly as possible, be opened as fully as will ensure maximum acceleration without operating kickdown" (emphasis added), and held at that position until the car reaches the end of the testing area. "Kickdown," as defined by the SAE, means "a forced downshift to the lowest possible gear (first or low gear)."

You see the problem here. The PDK-equipped GT3 can do nearly 80 km/h in first. Certainly, flooring the accelerator in an automatic GT3 would trigger a multi-gear downshift all the way to first. So while the procedure calls for the manual GT3 to run full-throttle nearly to redline in third, the same procedure prohibits full-throttle acceleration in the automatic version of the very same car. Hence, the PDK passes the test, while the manual fails.

WD :like:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Here's what Porsche came up against and the explanation on why the manual is penalised :

SAE J1470 aims to measure "the highest noise level consistent with urban driving." The exact testing method varies based on vehicle size, power output, peak acceleration rate, and gearing, but generally, it involves a full-throttle run starting at 50 km/h (31 mph) and continuing until the engine reaches its peak-power rpm. Manual-transmission vehicles are tested in either second or third gear; given the GT3's curb weight and power output, the procedure calls for third.

Here's the thing: Automatic-transmission vehicles aren't necessarily tested at wide-open throttle. The method specified in J1470 states that "the throttle shall, as rapidly as possible, be opened as fully as will ensure maximum acceleration without operating kickdown" (emphasis added), and held at that position until the car reaches the end of the testing area. "Kickdown," as defined by the SAE, means "a forced downshift to the lowest possible gear (first or low gear)."

You see the problem here. The PDK-equipped GT3 can do nearly 80 km/h in first. Certainly, flooring the accelerator in an automatic GT3 would trigger a multi-gear downshift all the way to first. So while the procedure calls for the manual GT3 to run full-throttle nearly to redline in third, the same procedure prohibits full-throttle acceleration in the automatic version of the very same car. Hence, the PDK passes the test, while the manual fails.

so they fix the results by setting rules that exclude a particular type of vehicle. Mm sounds like F1 these days hahaha. I always figured the mustang would be the last modern manual car I'd ever own. Might as well enjoy it while i still can

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

That's a great test LOL. Look, as much as I love my Tremec box, let's be grateful because who knows if they change the test then maybe the auto's are too loud too. I can feel myself slowing slipping to an EV...full autopilot.
Sponsored