New Engine required :(

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Oil degrades over time even when sitting in unopened containers, so will definitely degrade when opened and put into an open to atmosphere engine on a shelf for a few years.

There is a general consensus of terminology coming from the oil companies that unused, unopened and stored in its original container out of extremes of temperature, motor oil will last for an “extended period”.

What an "Extended Period" actually means is less certain, although when pushed most suggest that the oil shouldn’t be used after a few years; the exact period varying between 2 years (according to Total) up to 5 years (Mobil).

Yes I know you will shout, but they are going to say that to make you buy more, and there is probably a modicum of truth in that, but there is also truth and science behind the message too.

So does motor oil expire?

Yes it can but depending on the conditions and the type of oil it might take a long time, say in the realm of 4 to 5 years or so max.

So unless there is an expiry date on the container and it’s still in the future, or you know exactly how long you’ve had it and how it’s been stored, it’s time to take those cans, part-cans and bottles of motor oil down to your local recycling center and remove the temptation to use it.
I'm sure that is all true, but I suspect even 5 year old unused oil is in better shape than oil that has been circulating in an engine for 12 months or 12000 miles ?
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That's why BMW and others have running in oil change after a 1000 miles or so.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Very interesting thread.
I took delivery of my 2019 a couple of weeks ago and am still running her in. 550 miles so far. this weather has meant I haven’t been inclined to go for any nice long runs.

I now plan to do an oil change after a 1000 or so miles just in case.

have a Borla ATAK on order too so might wait to put that on until I’ve checked the oil first.

sorry you had such hassle but I would check with ford if your engine is the coyote 3 that it should have for the year. I have read there are decent improvements over the previous gen 2 engine.

nev
exhaust changes are not going to void anything. headers maybe but anything back from the cat is just sound. my dealer actually tried to sell me a 2015 with the exhaust on.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
That's why BMW and others have running in oil change after a 1000 miles or so.
Really?

Not if you look at their service schedules they don't. In fact all the German brands have hugely extended intervals now which keeps costs down for business leases but does little for the long term future of the engine. You can get to 20,000 miles in an Audi before it asks for it's first oil change !

Apart from a few exotics I don't think any makers require a running in oil change these days. Not saying you can't do it, just not a requirement to maintain warranty.

If you Google 'first oil change metal shavings' you will see hundreds of posts about it from every marque under the sun and related to machining and drilling during manufacturing. Second oil change is a different matter as it should all be gone by then. By the time it has reached the magnetic drain plug it is safe. There are literally millions of engines made each year that get used and abused without problems so I wouldn't be too concerned if mine has some metal in the oil at first change. It goes back to one of my original posts about the OP's engine - those metal shavings looked like machining left overs and the engine was running fine. Was there a reason to change the engine ? What does it look like on strip down ? Not saying it wasn't knackered, but was there any evidence of actual damage ? It will be interesting to hear if any reults are released by Ford to the OP

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
BMW M cars have a 1,000 mile running in service which includes oil change, unless they have changed it recently.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
BMW M cars have a 1,000 mile running in service which includes oil change, unless they have changed it recently.
Totally agree with early changes and checks, if only for piece of mind.

My Mustang has done just coming up to 2500 miles since I got it, in mid August, and at the weekend I will be doing its 5th oil flush and change since I got it.

Only the last change (4th) was totally clean of any metal filings.

Will most likely do another change at around 3,000, then limit them to one every six months or so, if this change and the nest show no signs of metal.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mustangs have an unofficial 1500 oil change. There's an old thread where someone in the US had their oil analysed and posted the contaminants levels.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree with early changes and checks, if only for piece of mind.

My Mustang has done just coming up to 2500 miles since I got it, in mid August, and at the weekend I will be doing its 5th oil flush and change since I got it.

Only the last change (4th) was totally clean of any metal filings.

Will most likely do another change at around 3,000, then limit them to one every six months or so, if this change and the nest show no signs of metal.
Wow

You must spend more time changing the oil than actually driving it :shock:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Been changing mine once a year, which has been around 3000 miles each time.

Sponsored

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
exhaust changes are not going to void anything. headers maybe but anything back from the cat is just sound. my dealer actually tried to sell me a 2015 with the exhaust on.
Hi. Thanks.

I wasn’t so much concerned about warranty as going through the effort of putting the parts on only to find the car has to go away for surgery the following month. Then the risk and potential hassle of my nice new exhaust and intake bits being ‘misplaced’ while the car is in.

apologies if I sound like a cynic but I’ve had upgrades go ‘missing’ at main dealers before, although not Ford.
Sponsored