New owner question Wind noise

BARNESGN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
G8 GT 15 Q50 S 15 GT Premium PP
Just bought a 2015 GT PP 28k miles. On the way home I noticed what seemed to be some wind noise from the passenger side. Window was up. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
When it rains (or use a hose I guess), check to see if it gets wet inside or along the pillar going down towards the fuse box area. Mine ended up having cracks in the seal on both a pillars which were leaking in water and wind noise.

OP
OP

BARNESGN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Will do, thanks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the passenger door seal - this would be the large rubber gasket going around the entire window area (seen when door is open). Make sure it’s not distorted, especially in the upper corner near the B-pillar.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I sometimes get a wind noise coming from the passenger side near the front of the wind. It doesn't happen all the time and even then only over about 40mph. Have never figured out why.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I get that on my '19 on windy days. No water leaks or anything, so I just attribute it to a characteristic of the car.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I think the door mirrors create a lot of noise, some of which reaches the cabin. We have smaller mirrors over here as well !

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I had this problem on my 2015 when I first got it. It went away after the dealer changed the passenger door latch (TSB). My guess is they adjusted the latch properly, which helped the door seal correctly when closed. You might try to adjust the latch and see if that gets rid of the noise.

OP
OP

BARNESGN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Took the car in under warranty (limited from Carvana), Dealership changed the passenger door seal. This weatherstrip covers about 3/4 of the door, and had no effect on the wind noise.

Simul what TSB are you referring too? That sounds like a good idea to try..

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Took the car in under warranty (limited from Carvana), Dealership changed the passenger door seal. This weatherstrip covers about 3/4 of the door, and had no effect on the wind noise.

Simul what TSB are you referring too? That sounds like a good idea to try..
There are two, one for the 2015s and one for the 2017s:

2015: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/s550-mustang-recall-and-tsb-info#recall2
2017: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/s550-mustang-recall-and-tsb-info#recall8

Only the 2015 TSB above is in reference to the latch itself. The 2017 recall looks to be for the handle on the outside.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BARNESGN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I was finally able to ride on the passenger side to listen to the wind noise better. The sound is not coming from the p/s window, it's coming from the the top of the front windshield glass exactly where the sun visor bolts in. I think I Think I'll need a new front glas seal, maybe a new glass also.

OP
OP

BARNESGN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Just to update, put in new front glass. My windshield was delaminating around the edges. This did not stop the wind noise. However I noticed a tinny tiny pin hole near the edge of the drip rail area. Put a dab of clear silicone on it, and no more wind noise. To properly fix this Ill need to remove the front glass and repair the area then repaint. Remember no water leaks occurred so this hole must not be very deep, but it is enough to cause some kind of turbulence.
Sponsored