Sponsored

New Mustang Owner - Help (Driving Tips)

got_stanged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Shadow Black, 401A, Performance package, Active Exhaust & Enhanced Security
Edit: "Thank you everyone who took time to respond to this post. I am thankful for all the tips, advice and feedback. The reason for buying this car was not to race or drift. I have driven so many less expensive cars and Motor bikes in my life, but none of them made me feel connected. First time I tried to test drive, I pushed the start button and the sound of the V8 put a big smile on my face. Somehow my heart said this is it, this is my car. If I had a bad day, I know just sitting in this car would put a smile on my face. Honestly I was looking to get the EB, But that changed before I even drove this beautiful car for even a Mile. The whole time I could feel my heart enjoy how the car made me feel. The Vibration. I was not even flooring the car while test driving. That said I am sure I will never be a reckless driver. If I want to try some Donuts or Wheel Lock etc, I will try that in a spacious empty parking lot. But never on the road. I intend to keep this car for as long as I live. Thank you once again I will keep learning and I will keep practicing and get to know my car and Enjoy my drive One quarter mile at a time :)"

Hi Everyone... I am new and happy to be part of Mustang Family. I am proud that my first ever car purchase is this Mustang. As a new owner I would like to get some driving tips. I have seen my friends send me videos on how Mustangs loose control and get into an accident. I totally feel that the issue is mostly with Drivers and nothing wrong with the Car. Please help me understand this and if possible give me tips on how to drive without loosing Control. Do's and Don'ts. If I do loose control, is there a technique i can learn to bring the car back to line.

I have got the Manual Transmission 2019 GT Premium with performance package.

Just a Background about me. I have always driven a Manual Car. They are mostly All wheel drive. I currently Drive my family's Subaru Legacy which is a Manual.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Typically itā€™s stupid people doing stupid things in crowded areas.
So if you donā€™t try to do burn outs or doughnuts in the middle of the road and donā€™t street race on roads or highways you should be good
There are always places where u can do that stuff where itā€™s safe, remember you are driving a lethal weapon and with that comes responsibility.
These cars handle well but you need to learn what they can do and where

XxShadexX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 YZF-R6
I'm fairly new myself, just got a manual 2019 pp1 as well.
In my experience any situation where I accelerated too hard into a turn was corrected by the traction control systems. Try to keep the car in either comfort or sport untill you better understand the handling, and the car will cover for you. Also the car has a 1k mile break in, Ford suggest keeping the rpm below 5k and varying your speed (don't cruise at any speed for too long). It should help you get used to the car as well as assure a smooth break in.

Enjoy the new ride, post some pics!

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hi Got Stanged,

In keeping with the others, I think the culprit is the nut behind the wheel.

Most people do NOT drive in a high-performance manner on a regular basis. I went to Bob Bondurant School of High-Performance Driving in 1991 or so. I was lucky enough to graduate number one in my class, but have not driven like that, except on a race track, since then. I got a 2002 Camaro SS in 2002 when I lived in Portland, OR and joined the SS Owner's Association. We participated in several track days at Portland International Raceway and I got to drive in a spirited manner. When I say "a spirited manner," I don't mean running it up to the redline on the street ... I mean driving fast and cornering fast (faster than 100 mph) when you KNOW there is nobody coming the other way. So, I can slide the car in a 2-wheel or 4-wheel drift around a turn more or less at will. I don't on the street because: 1) it is the slowest way around a turn, 2) it will get you a bad ticket (reckless driving), 3) I am buying the tires and brakes, 4) the street surface condition is unknown to me, and 5) unless I KNOW the area, the potential runoff area is ALSO unknown to me.

Please read on. I did not relate that to brag. If you look at most the Mustang videos of them pulling out from a car show or just being stupid, you will see they put their foot into it and STAY into it, even after they have lost control ! Almost universally, they wait until it is almost 60Ā° - 90Ā° sideways THE OTHER WAY before they let up.

Here is the thing ... once it starts to go sideways and you counter-steer, you SHOULD back off when the counter steer takes effect and the rear end starts coming back straight. When I say back off, I don't mean let off and brake, I mean reduce power until the tires bite and the car snaps back straight. What these Mustang clowns do instead is STAY on the gas until it snaps back the other way with a LOT more force than the initial correcting move it made.

What that tells me is they have never practiced a power slide in a safe place, such as a race track or open parking lot. So, they are essentially doing it for the first time in public, close to curbs, other cars, and pedestrians. How stupid can you be? Watch the videos and see! If they removed their brains and balanced them on the edge of a razor blade, it would resemble a BB rolling down a 4-lane highway.

Here is a video of a Mustang drifting on the street.

While I do NOT agree with what he is doing, it clearly shows there is NOTHING inherently wrong with the Mustang. He is drifting with good control ... just being somewhat stupid about where he drifts.

If you are going to do these things on public roads, you will likely lose your license at some point. But, if you really WANT to do these things, go to a professional driving school and learn them on someone else's equipment. It costs a few thousand dollars or so, maybe slightly more. Maybe $3k - $5k. You will learn it right and it is WAY cheaper than a new Mustang complete with reckless driving citation on your record. Once you get that, having ongoing insurance for your 450 hp Mustang will make the driving school cost seem VERY reasonable in comparison.

Since you have driven manual shift vehicles, keep doing so with good sense and you won't have any trouble.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Don't worry about those videos. Those cars are driven by idiots that think they can drive. If my wife can drive a Mustang GT (and has for 9 years), you can too. Just don't turn the nannies off, and then hit the floor with the pedal unless you know where the car if going to go beforehand. Congratulations, and enjoy that new Mustang. And, welcome to the forum.

Sponsored

Redskull

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Hi Everyone... I am new and happy to be part of Mustang Family. I am proud that my first ever car purchase is this Mustang. As a new owner I would like to get some driving tips. I have seen my friends send me videos on how Mustangs loose control and get into an accident. I totally feel that the issue is mostly with Drivers and nothing wrong with the Car. Please help me understand this and if possible give me tips on how to drive without loosing Control. Do's and Don'ts. If I do loose control, is there a technique i can learn to bring the car back to line.

I have got the Manual Transmission 2019 GT Premium with performance package.

Just a Background about me. I have always driven a Manual Car. They are mostly All wheel drive. I currently Drive my family's Subaru Legacy which is a Manual.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.
If you leave the traction control on, you shouldn't have any issues even under hard acceleration

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
I worry about all the other people around me rather than me being worried about myself. Just use common sense. Don't be one of "those guys"

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Do not drive with blindfold.
Do not steer car with your feet.
Do not start out in 6th gear.

Sponsored

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Is it the traction control or the stability control that is the cause?

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Don't text and drive. There ya go. My advice.
Now, now, now. He has the Manual. According to this forum, only A10 drivers can text and drive.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the ass end gets loose LET OFF the go pedal...

Donā€™t drive like a fool in bad weather conditions.

Donā€™t take turns or on/off ramps at excessive speed.

Youā€™re not invincible and cannot be replaced.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
If you drive like an Axx
You wind up busting your Axx

Drive like a fool
somebody will sue

I was always taught to drive like an egg is under the throttle until I earn the right to safely drive aggressively.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Keep the traction control on. Don't nail the gas until the wheels are straight, and if you are on summer tires and it's cold keep it slow.

The car isn't going to veer off the road into a crowd of people for no reason or errant input from the driver.
Sponsored