Sponsored

New Model

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
Additional weight savings can be had assuming they go with a smaller turbo V8 as the OP mentioned.

I can see more aluminum without a price increase due to the MASSIVE investment Ford has made in aluminum due to the F series trucks fully moving over to aluminum for all 2017 models.

The rest I don't buy, especially the standard leather interior. The HUD I can believe.

Oh...and a target weight of 3,150lbs for a GT? Not a chance in hell. The Mustang already has about 40% of it's body panels in aluminum, you'd need to convert portions of the frame to aluminum and other expensive, lightweight materials to get that low.

If the Mustang went FULL aluminum body, roof, quarter panels, doors and trunk, etc...it would reduce the car down to about 3,575lbs as it is. Going to aluminum suspension components, sub frame, k-member, etc...would see maybe another 75lbs or so.

3,500lbs is possible on a GT, but not less than 3,200lbs, and especially not with standard leather and HUD.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I forgot to mention all LED exterior lighting!

I hope they make it a dry sump, and upgrade the propshaft & driveshafts! :)
And when is all of this supposed to hit? Next fall in 2017 for MY '18?

Just curious on how you know all this stuff but yet you couldn't ask your source about the very first question you started this thread with...

Last edited:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Just a few thoughts, I'm being honest in just my opinion and intrested in yours.
A lot of what your saying sounds like the Prope project, total uprising by Mustang followers.
I can't hardly believe they would put AWD on a Mustang either, again sounds like Probe.
And last I would thing the V6 Eco boost would compete with the V8 performance at too many levels, so in my very honest opinion a no go. Plus cost increases for the V6 Eco boost cost wise would be very similar to the V8. I know some would welcome the turbo must vast majority would go V8,,,,, again just my thoughts

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special
there is very slim to no chance ford is going to make the mustang platform 4wd. it would probably be cheaper to develop an all new drivetrain let alone making it a plug in hybrid. also the price increase on a car like that would be enormous. an ecoboost 8 Is probably in development but I don't it'd ever make it to the GT model, itll be a halo motor for the gt500

Sponsored

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
they tried that already it was called the PROBE and where is that now junkyard

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Additional weight savings can be had assuming they go with a smaller turbo V8 as the OP mentioned.

A smaller displacement turbo engine would likely weigh as much if not more than a naturally aspirated larger displacement engine. Displacement does not have a large impact on engine weight(example GM LS engine family), however adding turbos with associated intercoolers and ducting does add up to quite a bit.

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
Very true Grimace! Turbos & system are weighty

Guys it won't be a plug in lol!