Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Funny how many people around here have 'inside contacts.'

4wd ecoboost with electric motors? Lol, get real. It's a Mustang. Not to mention that would probably make it cost more than a GT.

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
It won't be a real 4WD!

Engine power will be 100% RW, with motors powering the front wheels, it won't be much but is a step in an interesting direction!

I'm not being funny electric motors aren't expensive and have been around for years! We have much superior stuff available to us, energy recover systems, fuel cell etc

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Just got wind from an inside contact that :

Ecoboost - electric motors feeding front and rear (4wd) engine only powers rear
Interesting, would give some really nice low end torque and stability

GT - V8 Turbo
Hopefully it keeps a good engine note... I would expect it would go down in size if this is true. It will be necessary to hit CAFE.

V6 no longer RIP
Trying to figure out how to read this. Does this mean the V6 is no longer dead? Or it is no longer offered and it should rest in peace? :ninja:

Aluminium everywhere! Light! (Subframe suspension etc)

Interior - heads up display as standard, leather dash and doors, etc
Seems somewhat contradictory as Aluminum is to lighten and leather is heavier... but let's go with it.

Price won't change
Of all of the statements this is the most hard to believe. All the extra tech and materials will drive the price up, unless Ford is not OK with losing money (service model?). Maybe the investments in aluminum on the F150 will make the R&D part there already taken and no incremental cost other than materials.

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant to add a comma lol, may it Rest in Peace :)

2018 won't see a price increase however when engines change you may see a price increase its too far away to tell,

Everyone loves leather ;)

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special
Just got wind from an inside contact that :

Ecoboost - electric motors feeding front and rear (4wd) engine only powers rear

GT - V8 Turbo

V6 no longer RIP

Aluminium everywhere! Light! (Subframe suspension etc)

Interior - heads up display as standard, leather dash and doors, etc

Price won't change

sounds to me like your inside source is smoking something or yanking your chain

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I can see more aluminum without a price increase due to the MASSIVE investment Ford has made in aluminum due to the F series trucks fully moving over to aluminum for all 2017 models.

The rest I don't buy, especially the standard leather interior. The HUD I can believe.

Oh...and a target weight of 3,150lbs for a GT? Not a chance in hell. The Mustang already has about 40% of it's body panels in aluminum, you'd need to convert portions of the frame to aluminum and other expensive, lightweight materials to get that low.

If the Mustang went FULL aluminum body, roof, quarter panels, doors and trunk, etc...it would reduce the car down to about 3,575lbs as it is. Going to aluminum suspension components, sub frame, k-member, etc...would see maybe another 75lbs or so.

3,500lbs is possible on a GT, but not less than 3,200lbs, and especially not with standard leather and HUD.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see more aluminum without a price increase due to the MASSIVE investment Ford has made in aluminum due to the F series trucks fully moving over to aluminum for all 2017 models.

The rest I don't buy, especially the standard leather interior. The HUD I can believe.

Oh...and a target weight of 3,150lbs for a GT? Not a chance in hell. The Mustang already has about 40% of it's body panels in aluminum, you'd need to convert portions of the frame to aluminum and other expensive, lightweight materials to get that low.

If the Mustang went FULL aluminum body, roof, quarter panels, doors and trunk, etc...it would reduce the car down to about 3,575lbs as it is. Going to aluminum suspension components, sub frame, k-member, etc...would see maybe another 75lbs or so.

3,500lbs is possible on a GT, but not less than 3,200lbs, and especially not with standard leather and HUD.

I don't buy it either BUT an aim is just an aim! I would rather them try to over reach than settle for mediocraty! If no one ever dreamed and tried to achieve where would we be?

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I don't buy it either BUT an aim is just an aim! I would rather them try to over reach than settle for mediocraty! If no one ever dreamed and tried to achieve where would we be?
My main concern would be this: if in the end they over reach in the quest to lower weight and cut the general purpose usability of the car, then I would rather carry the extra weight. Changing materials is one thing. Changing the footprint and space within the cars is another, and that moves the car into a different segment. People (I think) love the Mustang because it provides great driving characteristics (maybe not class leading, but great) while still providing a practical option for daily driving and grocery hauling. If you go the 2016 Camaro route and cut the usability (trunk, interior volume including rear seat space) then the car cuts out many of the fringe buyers who are not die-hards (EDIT for clarification, non die-hards are a majority of the buyers) but are willing to consider it because it is a cool alternative to the normal people haulers. Of course, if the 2016 Camaro starts selling 15-20k per month then my theory is blown out of the water... :)

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Oh yeah, ..I'd rather see them be ambitious!

There are some things that Ford can do right now to make the car lighter, but it's all going to cost.

They could switch the Coyote over to a composite oil pan, which would save about 5lbs.

They could produce the aluminum door shells they developed for the car back in 2014 which would save about 15lbs.

They could go with an aluminum trunk/boot lid, which they also developed, and would save about 5lbs.

Going to an aluminum composite rear subframe (the IRS cradle) would likely save around 10lbs.

All of that would produce a car right about 30lbs lighter than the current one. A base GT would be 3,675lbs and a GTPP would be 3,705lbs

How much would the price go? Who knows..only Ford bean counters know that. Not as much as people would think though since everything except the composite 5.0 oil pan would be spread across the entire lineup.

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention all LED exterior lighting!

I hope they make it a dry sump, and upgrade the propshaft & driveshafts! :)
Sponsored