New headers before supercharging?

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I am told that I should install better headers on my 2015 Mustang GT before supercharging it, because otherwise the headers become the "constraint" to the whole process of air flow. I am also told that better headers will themselves increase my effective horsepower. I would appreciate any input from the many experts out there.
Sponsored

Cheezzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt- 401a, PP1, A10, Active exhaust
You could probably just do cat deletes if you wanted to go the cheap route of getting better flow and add power that's if your still on stock headers and cats which is what i'm assuming.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
True as far as it goes. If you're putting a blower on your DD, save the $ for good injectors, fuel pump and tube. Headers aren't good bang for the buck on a blower car.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
True as far as it goes. If you're putting a blower on your DD, save the $ for good injectors, fuel pump and tube. Headers aren't good bang for the buck on a blower car.
some people have gained up to 40whp and even more in other applications with headers alone in a SC car. How is that not worth it lmao?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Headers on a blown car are a fine bang for the buck. Everything is cumulative once you start modding. A 18+GT intake is also a fine mod and will net you 40+ at the wheels. Back in 2015 when headers were $1500 plus. I could see people’s trepidation. Not today.

Sponsored

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Headers on a blown car are a fine bang for the buck. Everything is cumulative once you start modding. A 18+GT intake is also a fine mod and will net you 40+ at the wheels. Back in 2015 when headers were $1500 plus. I could see people’s trepidation. Not today.
exactly. Go headers at the same time so when you tune, you take advantage and save money. As long you go headers 100% do it any time you want.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Headers, compared to a set of MAK cat deletes, are definitely not worth it. A good set of catless headers will cost $1800. Add another $500 or more for install youre at $2300 for 40rwhp gain. The MAK cat deletes, for only $400 will net you only like 5rwhp less than a set of headers. So by spending an extra $1600 for 5-10rwhp it technically doesnt make it worth it.

However with that being said, if you want to make more than 850rwhp and want a max effort build, then by no means just get the headers out of the way now as if you plan on pushing 4 digit power numbers the headers will always outperform the cat deletes.

But in my scenario, and for most others who want mid 800 wheel, there is nothing wrong with getting 3inch MAK cat deletes and saving the other ton of money on headers + install for other supporting mods like fuel system etc.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
$1800 is for gold plated stuff. You can get a set for $550-700. Cat deletes are $350-$400 And bolting the stuff on yourself is free. OP don’t spend 10 grand on a supercharger kit/install and then cheap out on your exhaust.

Last edited:

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
1800 was my ARH long exhaust system including headers and shipped to PR lol

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Well headers aren’t necessary as soon as you supercharge but they will help a lot. If you aren’t trying to make a lot of power the stock exhaust will do just fine. But a set of headers will allow you to make more power and will also decrease the psi the engine sees at a certain power level which is obviously good. If it’s in your budget I would do them with the supercharger but you can also do them after.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been considering the same thing and overall the factory headers/cats are decent and not restrictive enough to warrant changing them unless you're aiming for 800+ bhp. You're looking at $2k to do it right, spend that money on tires instead.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
It's not required but it will help.

Another option are cat deletes which are alot cheaper and give almost the same gains. People have made over 900whp on stock headers.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
$1800 is for gold plated stuff. You can get a set for $550-700. Cat deletes are $350-$400 And bolting the stuff on yourself is free. OP don’t spend 10 grand on a supercharger kit/install and then cheap out on your exhaust.
90% of people dont have the time, the knowledge, or the space to install something as complicated as headers, boosts, opg's realistically. Assume OP has to take it a shop, install will run him 500 at the minimum. And $550-700 will get you a set of ebay headers, not kooks, arh, stainless works etc

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If he wants a reliable 650rwhp daily and is not trying to reach the 900 wheel mark, there is nothing wrong with the cat deletes and by no means would it be considered "cheaping out". Regardless the cat deletes have been proven by companies like procharger to be fine for your typical boosted mustang (not someone who eventually wants to go balls to the wall).
Sponsored