Sponsored

New Engine at 13k Miles

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Providing some insight that might be of help to some of you other 5.0 owners with oil consumption issues.
Long story short, I'm getting a short block replacement, but I was really hoping Ford would okay a long block

My engine was consuming 1qt of oil every 1200 miles, and also has the engine tick/thump. I do not know if they were related.
I brought the issue up with the dealership and they started an oil consumption test/log.
Brought it in after a few weeks of driving, they logged the consumption and submitted it to Ford.
Ford then gave the go-ahead to do further testing, manual compression tests, inspect for oil leakage etc...
Dealer rep sent me pictures that they submitted to Ford of the findings; excessive oil leakage in 1 or more cylinders, bad scoring, and oil exposure to spark plugs.
The pictures were pretty shocking.

Ford has given the okay to order a short block and new gaskets to replace under warranty.
I'm hoping short blocks are not available anytime soon and a long block would speed up the process,
but obviously, Ford will only approve what they believe is enough to correct the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I understand the temptation to get an entirely new engine, but your cylinder heads are probably perfectly fine lol

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I understand the temptation to get an entirely new engine, but your cylinder heads are probably perfectly fine lol
I agree 100%, but that is probably not the concern. The concern is the disassembly / reassembly process. Is the tech using all new hardware, torquing correctly, following all procedures to the T? And doing so in a clean environment? In the world of flat rate repairs, esp warranty, there is not much incentive to taking your time.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I agree 100%, but that is probably not the concern. The concern is the disassembly / reassembly process. Is the tech using all new hardware, torquing correctly, following all procedures to the T? And doing so in a clean environment? In the world of flat rate repairs, esp warranty, there is not much incentive to taking your time.
Very true.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Do you guys know if a new oil pan is standard with a new short block?

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Another quick update, short block and other necessary parts have been ordered by dealership.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
i just got long block approved on mine... how? idk...

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
i just got long block approved on mine... how? idk...
Something major must have given you a new long block... what happened?
I was really pushing for a long block, but Ford won't budge.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Something major must have given you a new long block... what happened?
I was really pushing for a long block, but Ford won't budge.
I have a post on here that goes over everything, but all i was told is they replaced cam phasers 3x and cam phaser solenoid, was still making the 2k rattle. They said compression was fine, but since they are replacing long block i dont believe them...
Sponsored