Sponsored

New cam covers, quick question on dipstick

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
My cam covers had a small leak, known issue for a 2016, but somehow I was not aware of the TSB, yadda yadda yadda I installed new aluminum cam covers from Ford Performance. Ordered from CJ Pony Parts, and it was recommended to also order the GT350 dipstick tube. So I did that and installed everything today, and it went pretty well overall. However, I'm now suspect of the dipstick, as it sinks way further down now with this new dipstick tube. The original tube as a 2" yellow angle, and maybe another inch that is straight. As of now the original dipstick with this new GT350 tube reads way over filled, which isn't the case. CJ's website isn't real clear on this, and I probably need to call, but hoping some of you ran into this already and had the answer. Should I have ordered a new indicator as well?

engine.jpg

OG dispstick tube.jpg

GT350 dipstick tube.jpg

all the way in.jpg
Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
So. the original dipstick tube does not fit with the GT500 cam covers? Makes sense that a replacement tube that is shorter than the original would lower the dipstick into the pan farther indicating an overfill condition when it is not. With the 350 and 500 having different sumps than the GT it makes sense that the dipstick tube might be a different length, but I am surprised that Ford would redesign the attachment method requiring replacement of the tube. If the tubes are different lengths, then it would seem that the dipstick would also require replacement or modification to be accurate.

I am planning on doing this modification as I had two loose bolts on the driver's side cover with a very minor weep and am aware of the baffling difference so I am interested in the resolution of this problem.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
IIRC, I used a GT tube.

OP
OP
jody858

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
If you look up the covers on CJ's website, this tech tip is listed:

Tech Tip 2: For 2011-2017 5.0L Engines, Ford Performance recommends using a dipstick tube from the 2015-2020 5.2L GT350 or GT350R. Please see P/N: FR3Z-6754-B for the factory Ford component.

Ford Performance M-6067-M52S Mustang Cam Cover Aluminum Kit 5.0L 2011-2017/ 5.2L 2015-2022 (cjponyparts.com)

They do not mention anything about a new indicator, just the tube. The original dipstick fits just fine, but does go in much deeper now and produces a false reading.

I also read on another site that the original dipstick tube didn't fit the new covers. I didn't attempt to test fit this when I had everything apart, as I didn't realize the issue until everything was installed.

I'm a little perplexed, and my research hasn't turned up much so far.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
For what it's worth, I installed these covers a couple months ago on my car, 2016 GT, and reused the stock tube and dipstick. A week prior to doing this job I had changed my oil, and of course checked the level afterwards.

After completing the cam cover job, I checked my oil again and the level seemed to be at the same full level as before. When I get a chance, I'm going to have to double check to be 100% certain now so I can rest easy. But I don't think it made a difference for me. And I too considered ordering the GT 350 tube and dipstick when I ordered the covers. But I decided against it once I read on here somewhere that someone just reused the stock GT part.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jody858

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
So sounds like I should have just reused my original tube and not bothered with CJ's recommendation. If I have time today after work I'll see if I can swap these out. I'll let you know my results.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I just did the install and reused my stock GT tube and dipstick. I did order the GT350 tube, but it'll just sit on the shelf or get sold/thrown out.

JR

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Just checked my oil level again and it's reading full as normal. And after taking another look, these cam covers seem to hold the dipstick/tube at the same depth as the factory plastic covers. So I don't see how the stock dipstick level could read any differently with the aluminum covers as opposed to the plastic ones.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So sounds like I should have just reused my original tube and not bothered with CJ's recommendation. If I have time today after work I'll see if I can swap these out. I'll let you know my results.
If you use the GT350 tube, you need the shorter GT350 indicator (aka dipstick) too. BTDT with my valve cover upgrade too.

OP
OP
jody858

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
I removed the GT350 tube (not that easy actually) and installed my stock tube and everyone was correct, it fit just fine. Not sure why CJ's site recommends this.

I checked my level a few times this week and it is still showing a tad high, just past the hash marks and the top hole, maybe a 1/4" total. I"m going to chalk that up to the Ford house who last changed the oil. I don't think I'll be going back to them, they done me wrong too many times. It's not over-filled by any means, but their attention to detail is the last thing I'd expect to get right.

@NightmareMoon if it's not too much trouble could you measure your dipstick? I'm just curious compared my stock one, which measures exactly 21" from tip to o-ring.

Thanks for the information everyone. This has all been very helpful.

OG tube and stick.jpg

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The difference is exactly the size of that yellow extension on the GT tube. This is the shorter one for the GT350 tube.

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_5703.jpeg

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I just used the GT tube 15-17 and it’s perfect.
Sponsored