Sponsored

New Breaks and Rotors...Powerstop questions

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
So I'm going to need to do brakes/rotors for my 2015 Ecoboost and was curious if you guys had any opinions about Powerstop Evolution Coated Rotors...and then Z16/17 pads vs Z23 pads to go with them. Zero track use and just daily driving; any thoughts on the rotors, and any reason to go with Z23s over the Z17s?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can't speak for the rotors, but I was thinking about z23 or z26 pads. I went z23 for price and how little I track the car. They also cut down on the brake dust compared to the Brembos. I tried to match the performance of what I had as I didn't want to lose any. And I'm happy with the z23's.
I heard a lot of people talk about the z23 or z26, and not much about the z16/17. That might add a mark for the z23.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
Z26s here. No complaints. Especially in the brake dust department.

OP
OP

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
I'll put it this way... mixing and matching the rotors with even the Z23 pads is stll a lot cheaper than the Z17+rotors package deal on AM at the moment:

PowerStop Mustang Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Rotor and Pad Kit; Front and Rear K6808 (15-23 Mustang EcoBoost w/o Performance Pack, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

PowerStop Mustang Evolution Coated Rotor; Front AR85158EVC (15-23 Mustang EcoBoost w/o Performance Pack, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)
PowerStop Mustang Evolution Coated Rotor; Rear AR85161EVC (15-23 Mustang EcoBoost w/o Performance Pack, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)
PowerStop Mustang Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon-Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads; Front Pair Z23-1791 (15-23 Mustang EcoBoost w/o Performance Pack, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)
PowerStop Mustang Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon-Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads; Rear Pair Z23-1793 (15-23 Mustang GT, EcoBoost, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

then there are the Z17s just for kicks:

PowerStop Mustang Z17 Evolution Plus Clean Ride Ceramic Brake Pads; Front Pair 17-1791 (15-23 Mustang EcoBoost w/o Performance Pack, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)
PowerStop Mustang Z17 Evolution Plus Clean Ride Ceramic Brake Pads; Rear Pair 17-1793 (15-23 Mustang GT, EcoBoost, V6) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

The only real gain from buying them as a kit is that the rotors extend from a 90 day warrenty into a 2 or 3 year warrenty(Powerstop site says 24 month...AM site says 36 month). All out the door if I go with the Z23s anyway; but any logical benefit from paying more for that type of warrenty? I almost think I would never really be able to easily use/prove it anyway and should just go the route of piecing everything out and maybe going with the Z23s over the Z17s that way anyhow.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Z23 are perfectly streetable. Some people like head-snapping bite, I find that uber annoying. I have no idea how good the Z17 pad is but I'm very happy with the Z23 so I'm not inclined to experiment.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I have the Z26 pads right now. No complaints for street driving. Low dust, decent bite, rotor friendly, cheap. Ceramic pads are never going to have the bite and fade resistance of semi-metallic, you just have to determine your priorities.

You will get better pedal feel with pads like the Z26 that have metal shims, whereas the Z17 and Z23 pads have rubberized shims, and can give a bit of a soft or squishy feeling

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
In my experience, the coating on their rotors doesn't seem to last long and they'll eventually rust. The Z23/26 pads are good but there are better options. I like the Hawk Performance 5.0 or Performance Ceramic pads better. I also l like the Centric brand rotors as the coating seems to hold up better.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I run Z26 with the Powerstop rotors with no issue. I have about 20k on them and no rust or any other problems.

OP
OP

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Dumb question that I can't get an answer to exactly...but do these brakes and kits come with pin bushings/boots? Do I need to track that down separately, and what's up with the included hardware? Is what comes with it actually good/useful, or do I want to go another route for the hardware itself?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mind me...you mean just reuse the original stuff off of the car for pins/bushings/etc?
Reuse is fine. Get yourself some red brillo pad or steel wool and clean up the pins and springy retainers.

If you want or need new, OP has, and I'm pretty sure I saw CJ Pony sells a pin/spring kit.

The rubber boots should be fine if you didn't tear them or they aren't cooked. Those you need to get at a parts counter I suspect.

OP
OP

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Reuse is fine. Get yourself some red brillo pad or steel wool and clean up the pins and springy retainers.

If you want or need new, OP has, and I'm pretty sure I saw CJ Pony sells a pin/spring kit.

The rubber boots should be fine if you didn't tear them or they aren't cooked. Those you need to get at a parts counter I suspect.
nevermind...just saw the OP site lol. Dumb question...I'm going to link a couple of things if you could look and let me know if I'm ok or not. I'm just standard Premium Ecoboost breaks without any performance package or upgrades, so that's where I'm a bit shaky as these say performance package Ecoboost...but:

2015 2016 2017 Mustang GT Brembo Brake Hardware Kit (opmustang.com)
2015 2016 2017 Mustang GT Brembo Brake Hardware Kit (opmustang.com)

I'm only seeing those two options for fronts and rears. Are those actually going to fit/work though, or is that performance package only, which I don't have? I thought I had two piston calipers, those mention four, etc.

Last edited: