Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Yes the performance gap between R and non-R in narrowed, but so is the price
So many are dismissive of the incredible impact of the CF wheels and all the component differences to make them work. The R to me has always been about the wheels and suspension. Can you get an light AL wheel? Yes. Can you get strong AL wheel? Yes. The two do not coincide. CF wheels however provide both and the benefits set a ripple effect throughout the suspension. So much so that Ford changed the dampeners, springs, bushings etc. The wheels alone are worth the price of admission. Motoiq and Billy Johnson have a great write up on the matter.

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-revolution-carbon-fiber-wheels/
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ford caved and added snake puddle lamps? Fail.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
So many are dismissive of the incredible impact of the CF wheels and all the component differences to make them work. The R to me has always been about the wheels and suspension. Can you get an light AL wheel? Yes. Can you get strong AL wheel? Yes. The two do not coincide. CF wheels however provide both and the benefits set a ripple effect throughout the suspension. So much so that Ford changed the dampeners, springs, bushings etc. The wheels alone are worth the price of admission. Motoiq and Billy Johnson have a great write up on the matter.

Narrowed. He didn't say that they are identical now.

But Billy Johnson himself said the performance difference between the P4S tires and the Cup 2 tires is greater than the difference between CF wheels and AL wheels. CF wheels just gives the added benefit of helping reducing uneven tire wear.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Narrowed. He didn't say that they are identical now.

But Billy Johnson himself said the performance difference between the P4S tires and the Cup 2 tires is greater than the difference between CF wheels and AL wheels. CF wheels just gives the added benefit of helping reducing uneven tire wear.
"they are identical?" I did not say anything other than what I wrote and what I wrote is about all tweaks Ford did to suspension because of the benefits of the wheels. CF wheels do much more than reducing tire wear lol. Many benefits listed in the article (steering feel, rotational inertia, less camber etc.)

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Wow. Even cheap cars?

When did this start?

Must be 2019 because the 2018 GT350R didn't have it.
Actually, it came with the electronics package and all GT350Rs after a particular date were produced with the package because the car had to have a rear view camera to be legal in some jurisdictions.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Actually, it came with the electronics package and all GT350Rs after a particular date were produced with the package because the car had to have a rear view camera to be legal in some jurisdictions.
All GT350R's from 2015 and on came with back up cameras if they were not ordered as Base 920A cars.

:wink:

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Ford caved and added snake puddle lamps? Fail.
Where did you see that?

I like the puddle lamps. They're kinda cool on the GT. I was surprised that the $60k Halo version of the car didn't come with this little feature and was a little disappointed. I understand that since it was not identified as a Mustang anywhere on the car, it wouldn't make sense to have running horse puddle lamps, but the Snake would be cool.
Personal preference though.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I don't feel like they caved. Its the same thing all car manufacturers do if they keep producing the same vehicle more than one year. They hold back and each year add a little something to sell more.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak

I agree. My belief is the CF wheels + Cup2 tires are the two biggest factors in the R's superior track capability. That's why I'm quite intrigued that the '19 non-R GT350 maybe getting the CF wheels as an option. If so, the big question will be the aftermarket cost for '15-'18 owners who might want to upgrade. The cost of the OEM R wheels is prohibitive for most owners.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), the Ferrari's 488 CF wheels (by Carbon Revolution - who also supplies Ford) look similar to the GT350 design. Makes me wonder if those are actually the new CF wheel option.

ferrari-488-pista-fitted-with-carbon-fiber-wheels_100670630_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-carbon-fiber-wheels-annually#image=100670630

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I agree. My belief is the CF wheels + Cup2 tires are the two biggest factors in the R's superior track capability. That's why I'm quite intrigued that the '19 non-R GT350 maybe getting the CF wheels as an option. If so, the big question will be the aftermarket cost for '15-'18 owners who might want to upgrade. The cost of the OEM R wheels is prohibitive for most owners.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), the Ferrari's 488 CF wheels (by Carbon Revolution - who also supplies Ford) look similar to the GT350 design. Makes me wonder if those are actually the new CF wheel option.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-carbon-fiber-wheels-annually#image=100670630
The CF wheel option is the R. The language is shiat and it is misleading. There was similar language during the release of the 15-16 gt350

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
Anyone know what color this is in the video? Is it the new Ford Performance Blue?

Definitely Kona Blue. Performance blue is lighter than this.

Here's some sample color swatches to show the differences (not the best quality though).

These pictures are from the dealer I bought my car from. He received these paint swatches and each of these colors has what cars they will be available on listed on them. All of these show available on the GT350 for 2019. Sorry for the blurry pic, I got it off Facebook... The colors shown in order starting at top left and going down are Ford Performance Blue, Kona Blue, Velocity Blue, Orange Fury Metallic Tri-Coat, & Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat. And then on the top right going down is Need For Green, Oxford White, Ingot Silver, Race Red, Magnetic, & Shadow Black.

6A3160DC-838B-474A-853E-26C729A49F2F.jpeg

Also, here’s a comparison of the new Ford Performance Blue and Velocity Blue compared to the hood of the Lightning Blue car they are sitting on...

4F4F6D88-3C93-4E4B-81E9-7A2FC94CA2B5.jpeg

A7B9DC36-88A0-4559-B9E2-196BC44A0BE6.jpeg

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

They won't be an option on the non-R; it has said the same "available carbon fibre wheels" since the beginning. By available it means selecting the 920A package, aka the "R" model.
Sponsored