OP
OP
skytop1

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Nothing is happening in 2017. The 2015 Mustang has been so successful why would ford refresh it in less than two years? Makes no sense from a business standpoint. The current car will carry into 2018/2019 at least with more options and a mach 1 thrown in there somewhere. I don't think most people on forums understand the money and resources that go into a redesign on an assembly line vehicle. The SN95 was a turd and ford didn't even UPDATE it for 3 years. The new edge was 260 hp and ford didn't change it for 6 years. but the 2015 is outselling every car in its class and people expected a 2016 refresh lol.
The post was all about the 2018 refresh which all ready in the cards. The Mustang by 2018 will be going into its 4th year of production and will need to be highly competition to maintain the torrid sales rate.
With due respect, re think your position.
Sponsored

edillen3953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot silver Ecoboost Premium w/PP
Nothing is happening in 2017. The 2015 Mustang has been so successful why would ford refresh it in less than two years? Makes no sense from a business standpoint. The current car will carry into 2018/2019 at least with more options and a mach 1 thrown in there somewhere. I don't think most people on forums understand the money and resources that go into a redesign on an assembly line vehicle. The SN95 was a turd and ford didn't even UPDATE it for 3 years. The new edge was 260 hp and ford didn't change it for 6 years. but the 2015 is outselling every car in its class and people expected a 2016 refresh lol.
Totally agree. I wouldnt expect much in the way of more power.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
At 40 mph you'd be in 8th gear (great for fuel economy). Anytime you wanted a downshift, it was pretty immediate (compared to the s550).
Seems like too short of an 8th gear, but then again I don't know what car or the RPM range in it. For MPG, you'd optimally want the last gear to be usable anywhere from 55-70 MPH. Any lower and highway speeds would mean a higher RPM than necessary for cruising.

I totally agree with you for transmission shifting speed, however. One of my favorite transmissions (people hate it!) is the Aston Martin Sportshift II 7 speed single clutch. On the street it's horrible lol, but when you get it on it that transmission shifts extremely quick AND violent. That, and you would think the paddle shifters were psychic because they felt like they would change gears the split second before you pressed them. That car could shift faster than you could consecutively press the paddle shifters.

THAT is the type of transmission I would kill for in a Mustang and would get me to leave my manual.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Make it a 10 speed manual then you'd have my interest~~~
Then you could be like all those Fast and furious movies with 7-8 shifts in the Quarter mile :lol:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Seems like too short of an 8th gear, but then again I don't know what car or the RPM range in it. For MPG, you'd optimally want the last gear to be usable anywhere from 55-70 MPH. Any lower and highway speeds would mean a higher RPM than necessary for cruising.

I totally agree with you for transmission shifting speed, however. One of my favorite transmissions (people hate it!) is the Aston Martin Sportshift II 7 speed single clutch. On the street it's horrible lol, but when you get it on it that transmission shifts extremely quick AND violent. That, and you would think the paddle shifters were psychic because they felt like they would change gears the split second before you pressed them. That car could shift faster than you could consecutively press the paddle shifters.

THAT is the type of transmission I would kill for in a Mustang and would get me to leave my manual.
F30 335i, sports 8AT. It was the N55 engine with a turbo. Torque was strong from 1200 - 5500 RPM, you basically had about 300 lb-ft at 1200 RPM (BMW number, and they're conservative).

Hmm, never driven an Aston Martin. Yeah, a faster AT would be nice in the Mustang.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
F30 335i, sports 8AT. It was the N55 engine with a turbo. Torque was strong from 1200 - 5500 RPM, you basically had about 300 lb-ft at 1200 RPM (BMW number, and they're conservative).

Hmm, never driven an Aston Martin. Yeah, a faster AT would be nice in the Mustang.
Earlier this year I drove a tuned (355HP/400TQ?) 2014? 135i AT for a week. The Aston Martin's trans was better, but that BMW (DCT?) was pretty damn good too, yeah. I mean realistically, you can't expect a 100K car's transmission but shoot I'd be thrilled with that BMW one.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I would really like a 7 speed manual in these cars. 6 th gear is about useless in these cars because of the highway mpgs. We need a gear between 5 th and 6 th gear.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was thinking the something, the extra gears in an automatic is one thing. To row your own in a 10 speed, your right arm and left leg would be Hulk sized in about a month.

It'd be nice for an over over over overdrive for lower rpms when cruising at high speeds.

OP
OP
skytop1

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Wow, are you new guys "spoiled.";)

I grew up driving a 3 speed on the column and a 4 speed 'on the floor.' For acceleration, the 4.11 or 4.33 gear set was installed. At a measly 60 mph (the highway limit), the engine was turning 3100 rpm or 3400rpm. We only had 14" and 15" tires back then. To pass, you knew you had to spin the engine up to near 5000 rpm. The 289 (Ford) and 327 (Chevy) engine were red lined at about 6500 (solid lifter cams). The noise from the engine at over 3,000 rpm was high. In the summer, we had one eye on the speedo, one eye on the tack, and the third eye on the temperature gauge.
All the guys used to dream about was 'if only' they would finally bring out 5 speed gear boxes. That would be perfect! BTW, GM had only 2 speed automatics while Ford and Chrysler had the 'advanced' 3 speed autos.

Be thankful you gents now have 6 speeds, double overhead cams, 19" tires and reasonable differential ratios! For me, this new GT is paradise~!

Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, are you new guys "spoiled.";)

I grew up driving a 3 speed on the column and a 4 speed 'on the floor.' For acceleration, the 4.11 or 4.33 gear set was installed. At a measly 60 mph (the highway limit), the engine was turning 3100 rpm or 3400rpm. We only had 14" and 15" tires back then. To pass, you knew you had to spin the engine up to near 5000 rpm. The 289 (Ford) and 327 (Chevy) engine were red lined at about 6500 (solid lifter cams). The noise from the engine at over 3,000 rpm was high. In the summer, we had one eye on the speedo, one eye on the tack, and the third eye on the temperature gauge.
All the guys used to dream about was 'if only' they would finally bring out 5 speed gear boxes. That would be perfect! BTW, GM had only 2 speed automatics while Ford and Chrysler had the 'advanced' 3 speed autos.

Be thankful you gents now have 6 speeds, double overhead cams, 19" tires and reasonable differential ratios! For me, this new GT is paradise~!
The reason we have "6 speeds, double overhead cams, 19" tires and reasonable differential ratios" is because back then people wanted more as well. Else we would be stuck with 2/3 speed as well.

So we are thankful just as people in 30-40 years will be for electric cars and the death of the V8, oooh wait.... I guess they'll hate us for it... Aah well you get the point.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
With the 2016 Camaro.... Having a Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed automatic, I can see Ford going with a ten-speed automatic...

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
This 10 speed transmission was co-developed with GM. By 2018 the Camaro could just as well have this same exact transmission in it.

OP
OP
skytop1

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
With the 2016 Camaro.... Having a Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed automatic, I can see Ford going with a ten-speed automatic...
Ford and GM jointly have developed a 10 speed automatic. The 10 speed auto is planned for the 2018 Mustang (and other Fords).

BTW, I just read that Mercedes has officially stated that they will not be developing any transmissions greater than 9 speeds. Perhaps we are reaching at 9 or 10 speeds the maximum advantage for efficiency and power.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm not sure of the exact details, but Ford and GM are working together to develop these new automatic transmissions..........a 9-speed for FWD applications, and the 10-speed for RWD. So, eventually, I guess the Camaro will get the same 10-speed. I assume they put the 8-speed in the '16 Camaro as they felt they couldn't wait so, again, I guess the Mustang gets it first, followed by Camaro at some point.

:)
Sponsored