Sponsored

New 10 speed auto planned for 2018

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
Who would have ever thought that American sports/muscle/pony cars in this price range would be getting such advanced components? It is amazing what is happening in the automotive world.
Sponsored

OP
OP
skytop1

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Who would have ever thought that American sports/muscle/pony cars in this price range would be getting such advanced components? It is amazing what is happening in the automotive world.
Ditto!
I am amazed at the increasing speed of mechanical and computer evolution that is happening.
Also, I am astonished at how manufacturers must almost constantly be changing and updating their production, service parts, inventory and manuals. Technicians and service persons must constantly be updating and re educating themselves to be current with the new technologies. And sheer complexity is remarkable.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wow, are you new guys "spoiled.";)

I grew up driving a 3 speed on the column and a 4 speed 'on the floor.' For acceleration, the 4.11 or 4.33 gear set was installed. At a measly 60 mph (the highway limit), the engine was turning 3100 rpm or 3400rpm. We only had 14" and 15" tires back then. To pass, you knew you had to spin the engine up to near 5000 rpm. The 289 (Ford) and 327 (Chevy) engine were red lined at about 6500 (solid lifter cams). The noise from the engine at over 3,000 rpm was high. In the summer, we had one eye on the speedo, one eye on the tack, and the third eye on the temperature gauge.
All the guys used to dream about was 'if only' they would finally bring out 5 speed gear boxes. That would be perfect! BTW, GM had only 2 speed automatics while Ford and Chrysler had the 'advanced' 3 speed autos.
Heh . . . time was when 4-speed gearboxes in U.S domestic cars was rare and 5-speeds were found only in exotics. Remember it well, along with Chrysler's Powerflite and Ford's "Fordomatic" (both 2A just like GM's Powerglides and Jetaways) and GM's Hydramatic (4A with fluid coupling instead of a torque converter).

The point made earlier about wanting to squeeze one more gear between 5th and 6th in the MT82 is well-taken, and equally applicable to the early S197's TR3650 (between 4th and 5th). Road course driving commonly entails speeds higher than the quarter mile trap speeds that can be comfortably reached in a 1.00:1 4th or 5th, and that huge jump to the top gear just kills acceleration.

That can be 'crutched' with a tall axle gear, numerically no higher than 3.31 and perhaps preferably smaller than that, but that trades away some of the suitability for daily driving by making 1st a little too tall and lower-gear response "soft".

I'll need to track down what the ratios in these 8, 9, and 10 speed automatics are. Partly to see if there are any ratios that are unusually short or tall (and rarely engaged), and partly for a hint of how busy you might get with the paddles (unless you're actually racing for $ and really good at it, I'm convinced that it is possible to be faced with having to do too much shifting). No, I'm not ready to sit back and let shift logic programmed by somebody else - that can't see the road I'm on for purposes of anticipating whether to shift or not - take over.

Norm

Last edited:

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
I've pointed this out more than once. The 17 F150 will get the tranny first, but it will be coming in the Mustang, probably 18. It will also be in the Super Duty is what I hear, and if it will take near 900tq it'll be hard to grenade in a Mustang.

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
a new auto in 2018 would be great, that's about when ill be ready to switch to a new car and ill be ready for a premium auto

Sponsored

OP
OP
skytop1

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
10 speeds? My....which one should I choose? Eeny Meeny Miny Moe....

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Wow, are you new guys "spoiled.";)

I grew up driving a 3 speed on the column and a 4 speed 'on the floor.' For acceleration, the 4.11 or 4.33 gear set was installed. At a measly 60 mph (the highway limit), the engine was turning 3100 rpm or 3400rpm. We only had 14" and 15" tires back then. To pass, you knew you had to spin the engine up to near 5000 rpm. The 289 (Ford) and 327 (Chevy) engine were red lined at about 6500 (solid lifter cams). The noise from the engine at over 3,000 rpm was high. In the summer, we had one eye on the speedo, one eye on the tack, and the third eye on the temperature gauge.
All the guys used to dream about was 'if only' they would finally bring out 5 speed gear boxes. That would be perfect! BTW, GM had only 2 speed automatics while Ford and Chrysler had the 'advanced' 3 speed autos.

Be thankful you gents now have 6 speeds, double overhead cams, 19" tires and reasonable differential ratios! For me, this new GT is paradise~!
Hell yeah! I went to driving pick up trucks in 1979 so this Mustang is the first performance car since then. It's luxury to me also.
I had a 1972 gmc pick up with 3 on the tree. You wouldn't believe how fast I could power shift that sumbitch.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
There are a number of these very sketchy websites around. I assume they exist purely to gain income from their advertising. OP, I take it you discovered this site via a Google search? That's how I've come across them before. They all seem like they've used a very bad language translator, although this one isn't as bad as some I've seen! They just seem to regurgitate information from other websites.
Yah these are sites that basically just word search and compile information and then generate a new article based on regurgitated stuff. No factual basis to these sites.

I'm not sure of the exact details, but Ford and GM are working together to develop these new automatic transmissions..........a 9-speed for FWD applications, and the 10-speed for RWD. So, eventually, I guess the Camaro will get the same 10-speed. I assume they put the 8-speed in the '16 Camaro as they felt they couldn't wait so, again, I guess the Mustang gets it first, followed by Camaro at some point.

:)
Do we have a date on the Raptor? It gets it first so everything is after that as far as I know.