Never seen this Bullitt before

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Hi Paul. Well it looks like luc’s post was pulled. Based on your response I’m glad it was. Anyway if you love your car and really want the Steeda updates, do it. If not, and quite frankly, it sounds that way, take the profit and move on.
I’m on the fence, though, so whether I’ll get whatever money I put in back out later makes a huge difference.
I’ve never researched whether you get your money back on mods installed by semi/sort of-manufacturer-sanctioned factory modders like Steeda, Shelby, Hennessy, etc.
But maybe it’s time I should.
Shelbys, I’m pretty for sure (e.g., a Super Snake) will tend to hold their value.
Not sure about Steeda.
Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Let me make the economics question more concrete because I’m interested in the thoughtful opinions of other members of the forum.
Ignoring tax, I paid about $51,000 Canadian for my Bullitt last year.
Because of Covid, I could probably get $61k for my 2020 Bullitt tomorrow even though I’ve put 5,00 miles/10,000 kms on it already.
That will likely go down a lot when the used car shortage goes away but I think my Bullitt will do better than a GT in the future (for example, but note I don’t mean to pick on GTs, as a I acknowledge the Bullitt is essentially a generously optioned GT), whatever happens.
So, will I get $40k Canadian back in, say, five or ten years if I transform my Bullitt into a SMQ Edition at that price?
I think the economic calculations suggest keeping my car stock.
What do you think?
I don't think you should ever look at buying cars (other than real collectibles) as an investment. Its a lifestyle choice as these cars are basically just toys for boys. At certain times they may look like good value but that is just luck. The normal depreciation is the price you pay for the fun and enjoyment they give you. If you are looking to make money, buy property or shares/stocks. I would have happily paid $51k for my Bullitt, as they were well over $80k here so you are already way ahead of me! Cheers

Reactions: luc

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I don't think you should ever look at buying cars (other than real collectibles) as an investment. Its a lifestyle choice as these cars are basically just toys for boys. At certain times they may look like good value but that is just luck. The normal depreciation is the price you pay for the fun and enjoyment they give you. If you are looking to make money, buy property or shares/stocks. I would have happily paid $51k for my Bullitt, as they were well over $80k here so you are already way ahead of me! Cheers
You’re right.
Five years from now my Bullitt most likely will be worth less than what I paid for it.
I realize that and maybe the way I asked the question made it look like I didn’t.
To clarify, I’m not thinking about my Bullitt or the SMQ package as investments but in terms of minimizing depreciation.
So the question again, put more precisely: Will adding the SMQ package result in a Bullitt depreciating more or less in net dollars (not percentage) from the new total cost of the car (purchase price plus mod price)?
Thoughts?
Experiences?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Steve McQueen (King of cool), Shelby, Saleen, Roush etc. All these names bring an emotional tie-in or response to those that are attached to those names and their heritage or memories from motorsports and or the entertainment business. Buy one or more of these cars and enjoy them as they are designed and built for; driving. Steeda has a long history of building products that they race and have proven to be effective.

Marketing is part of how business is done in this country and those that are famous lend their names or likenesses to a variety of products and then we can buy or not. Heck, there may even be some salad dressing or popcorn in your home associated with another cool dude by the name of Paul Newman. I'm sure there's is a cost benefit to that business model as well.

Check out NASCAR for a business model that displays product names all over their cars even though no one on that team may use that product but certainly benefit from the cash flow provided by those sponsors. Enjoy your rides and happy motoring. Be blessed.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Will adding the SMQ package result in a Bullitt depreciating more or less in net dollars (not percentage) from the new total cost of the car (purchase price plus mod price)?
Yes, and no. If you find a buyer that is just looking for a green Mustang with a M6, the mods will be worth little to nothing. So you may only get the value of the car itself and nothing for the additional things you do to it.

But if you find someone that knows the history of the Bullitt and wants one for that reason you will make out better. Much better if the buyer knows who Steeda is (doesn't everyone) and understands Chad McQueens involvement with the car.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Here’s a real world example, an 8500 mile 2017 Roush that stickered for $69 k (including a pre-mod $40 k donor GT in its price) that sold for $41 k in 2020.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ford-roush-stage-3-mustang-gt/
Don’t think that GT donor vehicle would have gone all the way down to $12 k (is that right, my math I mean?) had it not been touched and was on the market in 2020 with just 8500 miles.
If this is typical, then these kinds of aftermarket-modded Mustangs, even from reputable shops, really don’t make financial sense, do they?
Doubtful that the math on a Steve McQueen Edition would work out any better.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Here’s a real world example, an 8500 mile 2017 Roush that stickered for $69 k (including a pre-mod $40 k donor GT in its price) that sold for $41 k in 2020.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ford-roush-stage-3-mustang-gt/
Don’t think that GT donor vehicle would have gone all the way down to $12 k (is that right, my math I mean?) had it not been touched and was on the market in 2020 with just 8500 miles.
If this is typical, then these kinds of aftermarket-modded Mustangs, even from reputable shops, really don’t make financial sense, do they?
Doubtful that the math on a Steve McQueen Edition would work out any better.
Can I give my opinion? 😁
I think that you are 100% right on the principle but the sale number was skewed because of the timing
Last July was smack in the middle of the pandemic with very few buyers and a lot of cars. Exactly the opposite of now
As a reference I just have been offered $35k for my base 17 Mustang gt pp1 with 20k miles
And I only pay $31.5 k new in 2018

Sponsored

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
Aside from any marketing, it's just a spectacular car. You just can't imagine how much better it feels then a stock Bullitt. Regardless of the speed, and the supercharger makes it a screamer, the improvements that Steeda makes to the lifts it into the rarified ranks of the finest big dollar GTs.

And yes, I was planning on converting mine. My last discussion with Joe at Steeda was 2 days before Covid hit and then everything ground to a halt. We were just discussing time frames and schedules, all of which went away when the border closed. I had a custom poster printed up which still sits on my garage wall.

As an aside, I drove down to meet Joe and the rest of the Steeda team in Detroit, and you can not imagine a nicer, more dedicated, more enthusiastic group of car guys.

It really does feel like an Aston or Maserati at a third of the price. No, you don't get the fancy leather, but you don't get the $10,000 repair bills either.

If all you are looking for is bang for the buck performance, then no, this isn't the best way to go. However, if you want a truly refined, drop dead gorgeous GT car, then I cant think of anything better for anywhere close to the money.

F2C962BF-FA59-4614-A89C-2E47E2FD0592.jpeg
1EEE36D7-FE0E-477C-B861-D99751DA9774.jpeg
40C008C7-5D72-423A-A6C4-E150524E114B.jpeg
8227FB1D-82D4-4734-9ED5-83D3CC9C2DE4.jpeg
43FE716E-D29C-4D60-8CAF-E7C5A3C69A50.jpeg
059F73DC-D02F-4C1B-98E5-3E6E4D64ED70.jpeg

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Usually used cars start to increase in value when people that were very young when they were new dreamed about them and can now afford to buy them ...
Man, that's for sure. I'd love to find a '67 Grand Prix convertible. I found one years ago at a museum in Wisconsin; white over red, eight-lug wheels, absolutely gorgeous. Even with shipping to Florida, it would have been more than reasonable. However, even "reasonable" was outside my reach at the time. Now that I could afford "reasonable", there are none to be found. The nearest lately is one that's kinda scruffy, nice but not gorgeous ... $80K!! Waaahhhh!

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
...too bad that whomever owns it can't take
the trouble to keep it clean...............
That would be the dealership with the stupid high markup. Same dealership that's also asking 150K for a CFHP 2020 GT500, and 1.5 million for a green Ford GT with yellow stripes. I told the sales guy why is it sporting Lotus racing colours haha.

Cold_one

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt (3033); 2018 Navigator; ++++
OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pretty sure the unit Vickar Ford in Winnipeg is selling is NOT a limited edition Steve McQueen version. looking at the dealers photos its a regular 19 Bullitt.
Drive down there and take a look at it then if you don't believe me. Or call and ask for Emery.
Sponsored