Sponsored

NEVER Factory order a Mustang

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
""Any deposit on a car should be 100% refundable and subject to final approval once the car arrives. I always add that tidbit on the sales contract."

"should" is something you write I fully agree with. However, read the contract. There is no use of the word should. It is your car.
You take it or walk away from your deposit and hope that is the last you hear of it.
That is why you need to specify those terms on the contract by addiing it to the contract. Nevertheless, if the car arrives damaged, I'd refuse delivery of it and get my deposit back. When I give a deposit, I give a money order and have the memo say: "This deposit is for xxxx and is 100% refundable." This is in addition to what the contract says.

I ordered a Ram 2500 and it arrived damaged. I refused delivery and asked for my money back and got it back.
Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Sorry, but that's all total BS.
Dear Silver Bullitt,

In my state, "but that's all total BS" is not a legal term.
Read the contract. Read what you sign. Read all the fine
print front and back. In transit damage is covered in print.
Should + but that's all total BS is not stated. It is your car.
It is your order. It is your deposit. You can buy or walk.
Try to order with as small a deposit as possible in case you walk.
Want to test your theory. Order a 2019 GT350 and put a dollar down.
Let me know how that works out.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Dear Silver Bullitt,

In my state, "but that's all total BS" is not a legal term.
Read the contract. Read what you sign. Read all the fine
print front and back. In transit damage is covered in print.
Should + but that's all total BS is not stated. It is your car.
It is your order. It is your deposit. You can buy or walk.
Try to order with as small a deposit as possible in case you walk.
Want to test your theory. Order a 2019 GT350 and put a dollar down.
Let me know how that works out.
I'm sorry man, but you have no clue what you are talking about. What is this "contract" that you are signing with "small print"? I had an order spec sheet with the options I ordered. It showed the MSRP and the negotiated price. It was signed by me and the sales manager. It was not a contract and there was no fine print (I can provide a complete copy if you'd like to see it). I even offered to give them a $500 deposit and they told me they didn't need a deposit unless it's something they didn't think they could readily move in case I decided to back out. I don't know what state you live in, but you might want to consider moving to Missouri.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Absolutely the dealership! I ordered my 2015 GT loaded from a high-volume dealer before they were ever released to the public in 2014 and everything went like clockwork. Also, if you are hoping for a good price on you trade in from a dealer on an already ordered car FORGET IT! You have already relinquished any bargaining position you may have had. In 50 plus years of buying automobiles not once has a dealer offered anything near what Kelly Blue book says is worth or any of the other publications.. On the other hand, I keep my vehicle’s in excellent shape and have never had a problem selling them privately for a price I could live with.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Read your contract. If the car gets damaged in transit
and it is your factory order with VIN, it is your car, like it or not.
LMAO whoever told you that lie must be a master salesman for you to actually believe it
I put $0 down and was told up-front that I had no pressure to buy it and they would sell it to the next guy if I didn't want it - I basically just had guaranteed first dibs, and "yes" my window sticker is green, not blue (meaning special customer order, not a dealer order). I also viewed an 18 on a dealer's lot (non-magneride, I just wanted to see the red exterior w/red interior color combo to confirm for my own order) that was a custom order (green tag) that the orderer bailed on.
Magneride 18/19s last less than a week on dealer lots.

Last edited:

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry man, but you have no clue what you are talking about. What is this "contract" that you are signing with "small print"? I had an order spec sheet with the options I ordered. It showed the MSRP and the negotiated price. It was signed by me and the sales manager. It was not a contract and there was no fine print (I can provide a complete copy if you'd like to see it). I even offered to give them a $500 deposit and they told me they didn't need a deposit unless it's something they didn't think they could readily move in case I decided to back out. I don't know what state you live in, but you might want to consider moving to Missouri.

I live in Missouri. I signed a pre-printed sales contract. The dealer was Dave Sinclair Ford, STL, MO.

What dealer did you buy from?
What did you buy?
Dealers have discretion.
Read the contract.

I am going to speculate that I have purchased at least as many new Fords as you have.
And you don't think I have a clue.

Go order a 2019 GT350 from the Ford dealer of your choice,
put one dollar down and tell me how that worked out.

Whatever you bought did not fall in your category of "unless it's something they didn't think they could readily move in case I decided to back out" So be it. If the dealer wanted to order a car for you without a sales contract, on the sole basis of your "order spec sheet with the options" and no deposit required, so be it. Perhaps it happened just that way. Dealer discretion.

At Sinclair, Sunset, Suntrup, Fusz, Schicker, Pundman, Beuckman, or Bommaritto Fords,
Order a 2019 GT350 from the Ford dealer of your choice, put one dollar down and
don't forget to note that if you find a blemish you have no commitment and get your dollar back.

Then tell me how that worked out.
Then I will acquire a new clue.

Last edited:

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
Why I'll never understand why anyone has to factory order a Mustang. There's a zillion on the lot around me and you save a ton buying off the lot.
The only car you factory order is something like a BMW, Audi, or Porsche to avoid paying for several thousands in options (as in $10K+) that only ordering can avoid in most dealerships.

Bingo.
I would never order a car and wait,by the time it did show up id would have lost interest anyways ....
Find our what you want and tell them to find it,my GT came from 500 miles away from me and took a week

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Bingo.
I would never order a car and wait,by the time it did show up id would have lost interest anyways ....
Find our what you want and tell them to find it,my GT came from 500 miles away from me and took a week
I told them what I wanted. Zero in the country matched. I tried 4+ times over the course of a year (even while waiting for my order), zero matches. If I didn't order, I'd still be waiting. If you're looking for like a base GT or something, sure, why would you order? But for us who want the car with all the bells and whistles with certain color options... Yea, ordering is the best way. Also, if you "lose interest" in a 10-12 week period of waiting, you should probably be doing 1-year leases on all of your cars.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I told them what I wanted. Zero in the country matched. I tried 4+ times over the course of a year (even while waiting for my order), zero matches. If I didn't order, I'd still be waiting. If you're looking for like a base GT or something, sure, why would you order? But for us who want the car with all the bells and whistles with certain color options... Yea, ordering is the best way. Also, if you "lose interest" in a 10-12 week period of waiting, you should probably be doing 1-year leases on all of your cars.
What did you buy? What are the options?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Since the '70s I've almost always ordered my vehicles, exceptions being a 2011 Performance Package Mustang because it never came to my attention until too late to order and too long to wait for 2012 order book to open and a 2004 Ram 1500 because I suddenly needed a truck for my son's racing equipment and that was the last year for a 1500 V8 manual trans.

Sure there are downsides but unlikely and, for me at least, not major if they happened. Worst that happened to me was in transit paint damage and I just re-ordered.

I let a dealer go thru the motions of trying to find one for the laughs but never had them find one anywhere because of how I want them speced. So for example, there was zero chance of finding a PP M6 with ACC, silver wheels and Redline Premier interior, not to mention the rest of the options and in my color (OW).

Ordering definitely isn't best for everyone. If the potential downsides would cause someone serious problems, don't do it.

Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
No dealership had a Mustang spec that I wanted so I factory ordered mine. The process was pretty smooth and I got to use xplan.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Frankly I'm surprised Ford takes customer orders for mass-produced vehicles unless they are a special edition (Bullitt, GT350).

The only car I'd be willing to special order is an M3 or M4 (or the like) because the dealers always get one that looks good, but doesn't necessarily have the camel leather and advanced suspension package that I absolutely MUST HAVE. (Because why else would you get this kind of car? Haha.)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Frankly I'm surprised Ford takes customer orders for mass-produced vehicles unless they are a special edition (Bullitt, GT350).

The only car I'd be willing to special order is an M3 or M4 (or the like) because the dealers always get one that looks good, but doesn't necessarily have the camel leather and advanced suspension package that I absolutely MUST HAVE. (Because why else would you get this kind of car? Haha.)
Last I checked, M3s and M4s are mass produced,

You shouldn't be surprised Ford takes customer orders because about all Ford does different is print "special order" on the window sticker. And even if Ford didn't differentiate, nothing would stop a dealer from placing a regular order with your specs.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Ordered my 06 and my 18. (06 was Windveil Blue coupe with tan interior, 18 is Magnetic coupe with Showstopper Red interior non-PP, both auto trans - no way any dealer will have those). Sent emails to all local dealers specifying exactly what I wanted ordered including order codes. Told them I wanted to pay $2000 below invoice. Play the responses off each other until you arrive at the best deal. No deposit either time. Took about 10-12 weeks both times. I don’t see any drawbacks unless you need a car sooner than that. I had no trade in so that helps, but I wouldn’t negotiate the trade in price until after we agreed on the new car price anyway.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Actually, you can pit dealers against each other, before you place the order. It's exactly what I did. I found out quickly who would play ball and who wouldn't. I told the up front the car I want does not exist, I already took my trade to Carmax for a trade-appraisal. I told them I already have financing done. That pretty much told them they can win or lose based on what they can do on the car and the trade to make it worthwhile, but can't mangle the numbers too much.
Sponsored