NEVER Factory order a Mustang

Nigel Bishop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nigel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
NEVER FACTORY ORDER A FORD...the process is a nightmare and the customer service is useless/non-existent. Ford don't give a rat's *** about you once they've booked the sale...they gamble on the fact that you won't cancel the order once they give you a delivery date as you will have already wasted up to 2 months waiting for this information.

Either buy off the lot or choose another manufacturer.

I custom ordered a fully loaded 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible from my local dealer on May 11th; remember, this is a $55,000 purchase. At that time I was told, in writing on my purchase order, that my car would be delivered within 6 - 8 weeks. OK, that was a mistake on the dealer's part and, when I still didn't have my VIN after 5 weeks, they admitted their mistake and revised that to a 10 - 12 weeks estimated delivery. I stated clearly at the time that I was ultra-sensitive to delivery as I had a very bad experience with a previous custom factory order.

I eventually got my VIN after about 6 - 7 weeks and COTUS showed my delivery date to be 17 - 18 weeks from the date of my order, with the admonishment that this date is not fixed... it could be longer! The factory order process is a big black hole from the customer's point of view. COTUS is useless...it was showing the details of a previously ordered and delivered Explorer until the VIN was created.

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE: My dealer told me that my order "does not exist" as far as Ford is concerned until the VIN is created. For 5 - 6 weeks they could not tell me when the VIN would be created. They stated that this was in the hands of the regional rep and that neither they nor I had any influence over this. I was told that I was not allowed to even talk to the rep. Ford Corporate were even less help...they claimed that hey had no record of my order and would not have any information until the VIN was created! I was/still am being bounced between Ford Corporate and the dealer.

As I said above, a couple of days after I received the VIN from my dealer COTUS was updated with a delivery date of September 5th, this was revised down to August 31st but, given that nobody, my dealer or Ford Corporate, can/will tell me what the scheduled build/shipping date is, I have no idea if this is accurate or not. But I've been warned again that my August 31st delivery date is not confirmed...with 5 weeks to go, it's almost guaranteed that it won't be delivered earlier but could well be delivered later.

I'm a member of several Mustang forums and I learned from another member last week that they are receiving their (very similar) mustang next week (4 weeks earlier than mine) even though they ordered their vehicle 2 weeks after me. So their net delivery time is 6 weeks earlier than mine even though I placed my order earlier.

I again contacted Ford's Customer Relationship Department but again, that was worse than useless. They claim that they have no knowledge of my build date and that I should work with my dealer. My dealer tells me that they have no more information than I do as they depend on COTUS as well.

So let that sink in...I have made a $55,000 purchase and Ford Customer Service claim that they have no information at all about my vehicle's build date...and, although somebody at Ford must have some information, unless the COTUS dates are totally fictitious, nobody knows or nobody will tell me anything about the status of my purchase...What I am being told is that NOBODY at Ford can/will tell me when my car will be built an delivered.

It is evident from my experience that Ford simply do not care about customers who factory order their cars. The process is arcane, not even my dealer can explain the process or the factors affecting scheduling/build/delivery. Ford operate this process entirely to suit their needs and not those of their customers...I've been told, not in so many words, that if your don't like it we don't care.

My guess is that factory orders are a nuisance to Ford and, as this probably doesn't represent a large revenue stream in the scheme of things, that they can afford to alienate buyers like me...this will by my 5th new mustang purchase, but this experience is sorely testing my loyalty to Ford.

This is not the first time that I've had this problem. I factory ordered a Mustang a number of years ago from another dealer who outright lied about the price/delivery...etc. I was given a 6 - 8 week delivery estimate which turned out to be 20 - 26 weeks. I had to sue the dealer to get my deposit refunded...Ford Corporate were no help then either.

Why is this an issue for me, other than impatience to receive my shiny new mustang convertible whilst the sun is still out? My trade-in is the issue. My trade-in value continues to diminish as every week goes by. Worse...I, like most buyers, am funding my new purchase by using the residual value in my existing Mustang. My dealer will not even discuss the value of my trade-in against the purchase of my new Mustang until the delivery has been scheduled, i.e., 1 - 2 weeks before my new car is due to hit the lot. At that time, I will be in a very weak bargaining position...they can, and probably will, low-ball me as they have me over a barrel. If I get an unacceptably low offer for my existing car, I'll either have to eat several thousand Dollars of loss, i.e., borrow more or, run round like a rat on crack trying to sell the car privately before I have to seal the deal on financing. I obviously can't sell my existing car early as I will then have no transport.

In summary, Ford operate the custom order system for their benefit and their benefit only. It is totally unacceptable to me, as it would be to any reasonable person, that I have committed to a $55,000 purchase and I can get no meaningful information as to when I will receive my product. Adding insult to injury, Ford simply don't care and they could not be less helpful.

Don't even get me started about how Ford prioritized the Bullitt build, frequently with no live customer orders, above the build and delivery of vehicles with real live customers who placed orders in good faith. Another example of Ford stiffing their customers and prioritizing their own interests above those of the customer.
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain. I really do understand how frustrating it can be. So probably this is a venting post.

At the same time, you've been down this road before with Ford. You knew what to expect. And you ordered a car basically when production was just getting started. So unknown time frame is part of it.

Your car depreciating while waiting is a fact of ordering a car. My suggestion is sell your car in the meantime. Try carmax or vroom or 1 of the other services with guaranteed bids...you will typically do better than trade-in. Rent or borrow something for now. Or just consider the depreciation part of the custom price.

Good luck!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Sorry you had so much trouble. I've factory ordered all 7 of my Mustangs (2 of which we still own) starting in 1969. No problems with the order process or time with any of them. I guess the lesson learned is if you need it now for whatever reasons it is best to buy from stock like the vast majority of car buyers do.

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I think mine took 13 weeks. I will not order another one just like I won't buy another black car!:cwl:

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
ordered my 18 beginning of march and didn't get it until mid june. was also told 6-8 weeks originally. but once the cotus date was give, Ford did stick to that. it shifted a little bit, but on the sooner side. it sat in order processing for a solid 2 months.

i agree with the lack of communication and the prioritization of custom orders above normal orders, but i think it's more so about production line flow than anything. they can't just stop a production run of black on black cars to do your red on red car for example. the downtime will push other customers out. i can't say this as fact, but this is how most production lines work.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Ordered mine the beginning of April, arrived July 14th. 3-4 months is the average time frame. Sounds like you had a bad a dealership handling your order. Ford prioritizes Mustangs to dealerships who sell a lot of Mustangs, especially GTs - you need to go to a large dealership with multiple locations that has a high priority with Ford, and one that can put the highest level priority code on your order (IIRC, highest priority number is code 9).

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
$55k or $255k, I doesn't matter. However, I'd be damned if I ever had to wait 4 months for a Mustang and I didn't. Dealer found a special order cancellation with everything I had wanted.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I had a rather pleasant experience custom ordering my 2017 Mustang GT exactly the way I wanted it and it actually was built quicker than expected. Good communication from start to finish and took care of me when it came to talking the numbers. Granted these cars can be driven here year round, I understand your frustration. Maybe it doesn't always go smoothly for everyone and I'm sure it varies by dealer.

Covert Ford in Austin is where I ordered mine.

Late Starter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
NEVER FACTORY ORDER A FORD...the process is a nightmare and the customer service is useless/non-existent. Ford don't give a rat's *** about you once they've booked the sale...they gamble on the fact that you won't cancel the order once they give you a delivery date as you will have already wasted up to 2 months waiting for this information.

Either buy off the lot or choose another manufacturer.

I custom ordered a fully loaded 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible from my local dealer on May 11th; remember, this is a $55,000 purchase. At that time I was told, in writing on my purchase order, that my car would be delivered within 6 - 8 weeks. OK, that was a mistake on the dealer's part and, when I still didn't have my VIN after 5 weeks, they admitted their mistake and revised that to a 10 - 12 weeks estimated delivery. I stated clearly at the time that I was ultra-sensitive to delivery as I had a very bad experience with a previous custom factory order.

I eventually got my VIN after about 6 - 7 weeks and COTUS showed my delivery date to be 17 - 18 weeks from the date of my order, with the admonishment that this date is not fixed... it could be longer! The factory order process is a big black hole from the customer's point of view. COTUS is useless...it was showing the details of a previously ordered and delivered Explorer until the VIN was created.

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE: My dealer told me that my order "does not exist" as far as Ford is concerned until the VIN is created. For 5 - 6 weeks they could not tell me when the VIN would be created. They stated that this was in the hands of the regional rep and that neither they nor I had any influence over this. I was told that I was not allowed to even talk to the rep. Ford Corporate were even less help...they claimed that hey had no record of my order and would not have any information until the VIN was created! I was/still am being bounced between Ford Corporate and the dealer.

As I said above, a couple of days after I received the VIN from my dealer COTUS was updated with a delivery date of September 5th, this was revised down to August 31st but, given that nobody, my dealer or Ford Corporate, can/will tell me what the scheduled build/shipping date is, I have no idea if this is accurate or not. But I've been warned again that my August 31st delivery date is not confirmed...with 5 weeks to go, it's almost guaranteed that it won't be delivered earlier but could well be delivered later.

I'm a member of several Mustang forums and I learned from another member last week that they are receiving their (very similar) mustang next week (4 weeks earlier than mine) even though they ordered their vehicle 2 weeks after me. So their net delivery time is 6 weeks earlier than mine even though I placed my order earlier.

I again contacted Ford's Customer Relationship Department but again, that was worse than useless. They claim that they have no knowledge of my build date and that I should work with my dealer. My dealer tells me that they have no more information than I do as they depend on COTUS as well.

So let that sink in...I have made a $55,000 purchase and Ford Customer Service claim that they have no information at all about my vehicle's build date...and, although somebody at Ford must have some information, unless the COTUS dates are totally fictitious, nobody knows or nobody will tell me anything about the status of my purchase...What I am being told is that NOBODY at Ford can/will tell me when my car will be built an delivered.

It is evident from my experience that Ford simply do not care about customers who factory order their cars. The process is arcane, not even my dealer can explain the process or the factors affecting scheduling/build/delivery. Ford operate this process entirely to suit their needs and not those of their customers...I've been told, not in so many words, that if your don't like it we don't care.

My guess is that factory orders are a nuisance to Ford and, as this probably doesn't represent a large revenue stream in the scheme of things, that they can afford to alienate buyers like me...this will by my 5th new mustang purchase, but this experience is sorely testing my loyalty to Ford.

This is not the first time that I've had this problem. I factory ordered a Mustang a number of years ago from another dealer who outright lied about the price/delivery...etc. I was given a 6 - 8 week delivery estimate which turned out to be 20 - 26 weeks. I had to sue the dealer to get my deposit refunded...Ford Corporate were no help then either.

Why is this an issue for me, other than impatience to receive my shiny new mustang convertible whilst the sun is still out? My trade-in is the issue. My trade-in value continues to diminish as every week goes by. Worse...I, like most buyers, am funding my new purchase by using the residual value in my existing Mustang. My dealer will not even discuss the value of my trade-in against the purchase of my new Mustang until the delivery has been scheduled, i.e., 1 - 2 weeks before my new car is due to hit the lot. At that time, I will be in a very weak bargaining position...they can, and probably will, low-ball me as they have me over a barrel. If I get an unacceptably low offer for my existing car, I'll either have to eat several thousand Dollars of loss, i.e., borrow more or, run round like a rat on crack trying to sell the car privately before I have to seal the deal on financing. I obviously can't sell my existing car early as I will then have no transport.

In summary, Ford operate the custom order system for their benefit and their benefit only. It is totally unacceptable to me, as it would be to any reasonable person, that I have committed to a $55,000 purchase and I can get no meaningful information as to when I will receive my product. Adding insult to injury, Ford simply don't care and they could not be less helpful.

Don't even get me started about how Ford prioritized the Bullitt build, frequently with no live customer orders, above the build and delivery of vehicles with real live customers who placed orders in good faith. Another example of Ford stiffing their customers and prioritizing their own interests above those of the customer.

Late Starter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I order a 2017 that went as planed. But, I ordered a 2000 Camaro SS that got a VIN assigned and built, but it sat at the Canadian factory lot. Since it had to go to go to SLP for the minor SS mods, I was able to get updates from SLP to see if it arrived. After more delays, I had to cancel the sale and buy another car. A month later, Chevy sends me a questionnaire asking how I liked the car and delivery experience. I replied, "Why don't you asked the guy that bought it."

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
It sounds like the root of all your issues is your dealership. Best of luck and I hope it works out.

I've custom ordered 3 Fords, two of them Mustangs. All were a pleasant experience, but waiting sucks. My most recent is my 2015 GT convertible which I ordered before they even started producing them, which was totally worth it.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I had a similar situation as you. I ordered 2016 GT convertible on May 3, 2015. Received the car on Sept. 24, 2015. COTUS was useless.
Dealer pretty much was up front about how long it would take considering that the production line would go down during the month of July for a week. This is due to the year changeover. Also, being a convertible make the process longer. The wait was well worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed that car.

BTW, the dealer was Covert Ford in Austin,Tx. I have always been very pleased with this dealership.
Sponsored