Need some help diff swap/axle issue

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by Lilith5.0, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    so I’m going from 3.73 to a 3.31 rear supposedly out of an ecoboost for my gt but it’s a iron diff and supposedly was for a manual but had an auto flange anyways.

I have the dss 2k axles they are in the same position as I had them in the 3.73 rear. Driver side went together no issues.

I went to install the passenger side and the diameter was too thick, it was too thick for the torsen diff but I was able to hammer it in anyways. So I sent it back they put on a different stub it slid in further but then just stopped and i damn near knocked the car off the stands trying to get it in. After sending it back again and them putting a new c clip still no go.

So I pulled it out and noticed where the axle seats in the carrier are different than the torsen diff. There is what looks like a bar going through this rearend where the on the torsen is a metal coupler thing pics to show the difference between them. And a pic showing that where it’s stuck at.

Do i have to flip the axles or does this rear just not work with a gt passenger axle. I never fully removed driver axle just slid out enough to pull the rear so I know i didn’t get them turned around during the swap but wasn’t sure if u have to flip them or something weird.

My cars been down for months between getting a broken rear first, getting another then trying to figure out why the passenger side won’t go back together so tia for any help. BCDA0784-ED24-4C7F-9BB0-7591601FF7AC.jpeg 1E3EFFDC-5B87-41E1-9952-2777E2A1B611.jpeg 30CD4C61-7C4F-4825-AF62-E6B1079055F0.jpeg

2. Mikepol2

Mikepol2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP1
    0   0   0
    On my PP1 with the Torsen, you could see straight through the differential when the axles were pulled...not sure why there's something in there on yours.

3. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    Mines a 17 Idk if maybe a model year difference? Same pp1

4. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
  5. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    The middle pic is the new rear end the last pic is the original rear end or are you saying the new one shouldn’t have that?

6. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    I bought from lkq I’d never recommend them to anyone again though. I did find this pic on eBay of another gt rear for sale and it seems to have a bar as well can’t see through mine cause the driver side is all put together. I’m wondering if I didn’t get some kinda weird unicorn rear to begin with, it worked fine when i pulled it though. AEF44DB8-C2AD-40CD-9D0E-B9CD1E2B5734.png

7. Cobra Jet

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    #7 Cobra Jet, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

Yes the 2 pics that show that piece through the axle holes. I’ve tried looking online on Torsen’s site. I can’t find any pics that show a breakout of the guts of the S550 Torsen to verify if that piece should or should not be there as seen in the pics.

This is from Torsen’s site (it’s NOT an S550 Torsen), maybe what is seen in your pics is the same part seen in the center of this image:
    upload_2019-8-9_13-37-1.jpeg

The Mustang Torsen T2’s seen here on Maximum Motorsport website do not show that metal piece in the axle hole as seen in your pics:
    https://www.maximummotorsports.com/...tial-High-Bias-Ford-88-differential-P881.aspx

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/...-for-2015-Super-88-IRS-differential-P882.aspx

8. Cobra Jet

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    #8 Cobra Jet, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    What is the part number on the rear that they sold you? Either from your receipt or found on the label which should be affixed to the rear cover.

9. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    New rear isn’t torsen don’t think they came with the 3.31 gear set, just thought maybe the non torsen was different in how the axles seat from looking at them but lkq told me they are all interchangeable, and don’t see any axles specifically for one or the other. But I’ll grab that number soon as i can.

10. Bluelightning

Bluelightning Bluelightning

Vehicle(s):
    Lightning Blue 18 GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    The bar that you see in the non-Torsen differential is what holds all the spider gears together. It is normal for a non-Torsen diff. Not sure why you are having a problem getting the axle to seat though.

11. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    Yeah it’s crazy it should not take a crazy amount of force to put a cv axle in I’ve done a lot over the years, it definitely feels too long for this rear, and weird it worked in the torsen but not the other way around. And Can’t find any pics of the inside axle view of a torsen to compare mine to see if maybe it’s just different than the others.

When I was having diameter issues the first go around I tried to put the driver side in the passenger side and it was too short when all the way in so I just assumed it would be in the same order as the other.

12. Mikepol2

Mikepol2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP1
    0   0   0
    Here's a pic of my diff with the Torsen...no bar across, you can see straight out the other side.

IMG_1993.JPG

13. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    I think i see the issue with mine that inner ring looks reversed so my axles would be backwards on the torsen in comparison to the how the stock gt/eco is so I need to swap.

Thank you guys so much going to try and pull the driver-side back apart and swap axles I’ll post results soon as I get a chance to work on it again. Hard getting the time with a young baby at home.

Mikepol2 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Lilith5.0

Lilith5.0 Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    Well I went out today and pulled the drivers axle out waste of time it was the correct one, tried to hammer some more on the other didn’t go anywhere so I pulled it out, also pulled the clip and tried.

thought to myself why don’t I try my stock axle just to make sure it’s not an issue with the rear end. That thing went in like butter and locked in no hammering whatsoever. so while I thought it might of an issue with the rear it’s definitely is not and has to be the axle. I’m not pleased to say the least with the driveshaft shop.9F1794D8-5970-4A02-9FBD-FE55BADF5D00.jpeg

Mikepol2 likes this.
  15. moffetts

moffetts Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
    0   0   0
    DSS has been struggling with these halfshafts lately. I don’t know what their deal is.