Need ground location under seats for new amplifiers

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I thought about suggesting nutserts too. But honestly don't think I'd trust them all that much for high current draw situations. I suppose if you cleaned to bare metal and could assure an extremely tight crimp it would be ok. But you're talking some relatively thin sheet metal and that's hard to get a good clamp onto with larger nutserts. I'd really trust a factory bolt hole much more.
Sponsored

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
I would just clean the metal at one of these bolt hole locations and call it a day.

IMG_2138.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I thought about suggesting nutserts too. But honestly don't think I'd trust them all that much for high current draw situations. I suppose if you cleaned to bare metal and could assure an extremely tight crimp it would be ok. But you're talking some relatively thin sheet metal and that's hard to get a good clamp onto with larger nutserts. I'd really trust a factory bolt hole much more.
I hear you. Whenever possible, I like to use a washer on the backside of the nutsert to allow extra material for the ribs on the nutsert to bite into.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I hear you. Whenever possible, I like to use a washer on the backside of the nutsert to allow extra material for the ribs on the nutsert to bite into.
Right, I do too for regular bolts. The thing is he'll be attaching 4ga wire for a high current application. With a washer added you've created a bunch of opportunities for gaps/looseness which has the potential to create a lot of resistance and heat.

Hell, I'm probably overthinking this but I'm bored this morning...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Right, I do too for regular bolts. The thing is he'll be attaching 4ga wire for a high current application. With a washer added you've created a bunch of opportunities for gaps/looseness which has the potential to create a lot of resistance and heat.

Hell, I'm probably overthinking this but I'm bored this morning...
Yes, he would definitely need a way to reach the backside and hold the washer flat while crimping the nutsert in place.

Another option would be to drill a hole and have a nut or a ground lug tack welded in place to secure the ground wire to.

1697041909598.jpeg

https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/Car...MIicislbXugQMVCoNaBR0GZwrCEAQYASABEgIelfD_BwE

Sponsored

OP
OP

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How about cut away the carpet like I did here to install my launch and shift timers, drill the appropriate size hole, install a nutsert and a flange bolt to attach your amp grounds under each seat? This will provide the shortest and cleanest run for your ground.

1697037356748.jpeg
I like that. And it keeps the ground length short.