Sponsored

Need advice - potential '18 GT buyer

Bill_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
All I'm new to this forum. There are some hangups I have about getting a GT automatic mustang so I'm hoping someone can alleviate these concerns:

1) reliability - I want a highly reliable car. I hate taking my car to the shop and I want everything to run perfectly for at least 150,000 miles. What's the reliability history for these cars . I have an accord now so I'm spoiled by it's reliability and compromising is going to be difficult. If I'm going to be putting 40K on this car minimum I'm going to be driving it to the ground.

2) comfort- I have a long commute (130 miles a day) how comfortable are the seats for daily commuting?
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Your asking about long term reliability on a first year drivetrain. I'd stick with the Accord if your putting that kind of daily mileage on the car, the money spent on gas would be horrendous.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Get a Civic Si or something. What you are looking for won't be found in a GT.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Your asking about long term reliability on a first year drivetrain. I'd stick with the Accord if your putting that kind of daily mileage on the car, the money spent on gas would be horrendous.
What he said. ^

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
2018 is amazing. 1500 miles and I need a new short block. Hopefully Ford will learn some things from my defective short block. I'm hoping my car will be good as new after almost a month in the shop.

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Stick with Honda lol

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
This about sums it up perfectly

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
while no its not exactly the same, there are some differences in components and tune, they are relatively close, the zl1 has the 10sp auto as well for the last few years, doesn't seem to be any issues out of the ordinary.
But I agree long term you may want to drive that accord lol.

OP
OP

Bill_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Just asking about the reliability history for these type of cars. Though the power train is relatively new, knowing how previous powertrains and the car as a whole faired would be a good place to start to try to predict how things will go for this car. I'm okay paying the extra fuel cost.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
No high horsepower sports car is going to have the reliability of a standard commuter.

The closest you'll get is maybe Lexus.

Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
1) reliability - I want a highly reliable car. I hate taking my car to the shop and I want everything to run perfectly for at least 150,000 miles. What's the reliability history for these cars . I have an accord now so I'm spoiled by it's reliability and compromising is going to be difficult. If I'm going to be putting 40K on this car minimum I'm going to be driving it to the ground.
Coming from the Honda/import world, I'll say this:

Get a Civic Type R (if you can stand the looks and know how to work three pedals) or get the Accord with the 2.0T/10A.

OR

Get a 370z if you want something RWD, sporty, and don't mind the ancient platform.

You will not get anything close to Honda/Japanese reliability from Ford or any of the other American brands.

Last edited:

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
My GT breaks down all the time. It's at the dealership constantly wich is okay with me because i'm trying to nail the hot receptionist.

Do you want reliability or a Hot receptionist ?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
All I'm new to this forum. There are some hangups I have about getting a GT automatic mustang so I'm hoping someone can alleviate these concerns:

2) comfort- I have a long commute (130 miles a day) how comfortable are the seats for daily commuting?
Go test drive a Mustang, see if it's performance is for you.

Otherwise, you questions are basic and deal with warranty, in which Mustangs have. You can even buy extended warranties if you are worried about how much you'll be beating the Coyote engine up.

They have been making Mustangs over 50 years, their history is pretty reliable.

:ford:

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Otherwise, you questions are basic and deal with warranty, in which Mustangs have. You can even buy extended warranties if you are worried about how much you'll be beating the Coyote engine up.
All true but warranties don't add back time to your life or negate the frustration of dealing with dealership for stupid issues. You are also under the mercy of whatever tech is working on your car.

The OP says he's expecting trouble free operation for 150K miles and not looking to compromise on the reliability he's used to. A warranty isn't a solution to that requirement/want.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)

Maybe look at the Ecoboost with premium package or PP1 or both, better gas mileage and not that slow. Smaller engine in Eco probably be more reliable than a V8 in the long run.
Sponsored