Sponsored

Need advice - potential '18 GT buyer

sijoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All I'm new to this forum. There are some hangups I have about getting a GT automatic mustang so I'm hoping someone can alleviate these concerns:

1) reliability - I want a highly reliable car. I hate taking my car to the shop and I want everything to run perfectly for at least 150,000 miles. What's the reliability history for these cars . I have an accord now so I'm spoiled by it's reliability and compromising is going to be difficult. If I'm going to be putting 40K on this car minimum I'm going to be driving it to the ground.

2) comfort- I have a long commute (130 miles a day) how comfortable are the seats for daily commuting?

I don't think anyone buys a Mustang looking for reliability and comfort.

I'm not saying that the car is neither but it's more of an emotional purchase :love: rather than a rational one.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Welcome to the forum Bill!!!
Excellent thread btw and really hits home at least for me.
:ford:The 6R80 Automatic is beefy as hell. The 10R80 from Ford is on its first year so TBD but is based on solid reputation and engineering of the new Ford/Chevy autos.

I have owned 84,89, 91, 93, 98, 03, 06 Accords which have all gone over 170k miles w just changing oil, brakes, tires, shocks, coolant, trans fluid, wiper blades, cv joints and timing belts.
2006 is at 200k and original timing chain and cv joints are good, but front suspension rubber bushings are crumbling.
Had a 91 NSX and 89 Prelude as well.
Bought the 2015 Stang in late 2015 specifically to supercharge. That is the real 50th anniversary story. The 15-17 motor and transmission are basically 650rwhp capable.
The 6R80 allows for maybe 100whp more due to its torque handling ability.
If you have a 15-17 stock and dont drive it like an ass, I could see it going 200k in 10yrs.
Just like the Accord, I would expect anything rubber to degrade after 10yrs of ozone pollution and environmental exposure.
I did get a free AC evaporator due to recall when someone at Ford dropped the ball where metallurgy and DFM come together. AC been solid since. 2017 Stangs should all have the good AC parts stock.

My Whipple supercharged 2015 has been run on road courses, drag strip, Mexico, from Van Horn to Salt Flat on 54 in 23 minutes, etc. Basically putting out twice the rated horsepower.
In 16k miles I dropped compression nearly in half and lower on cyl 8 and run thru 2 sets of all seasons and 3.5 sets of track tires with life time average mpg of ~9 miles/gal. Fillup math showed 20.2 mpg if babied on a road trip (dash would show 21.8)
I am retiring the motor and putting in a new Ford warrantied long block (<$5k) before passing it on. Whipple supercharger kit will sell separately for $6k installed or $5k loose. New goal is a 2019 10R80 track car build with low mount twins. Just something to putter around in...

There is no way to have this much fun for the dollar with such cheap parts available. Period.

Keep a spare beater Honda if you want, but Soichiro Honda (RIP) would approve of a 2017 GT 6R80 with a Whipple, or even a 2019 GT 10R80 with a Whipple:ford:

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
My GT breaks down all the time. It's at the dealership constantly wich is okay with me because i'm trying to nail the hot receptionist.

Do you want reliability or a Hot receptionist ?
:clap2:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don't think anyone buys a Mustang looking for reliability and comfort.

I'm not saying that the car is neither but it's more of an emotional purchase :love: rather than a rational one.
Every single person that uses their mustang as a daily took reliability and comfort into mind before they made their purchase.

If the mustang was known for terrible reliability or poor comfort, I wouldn't have purchased it.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
1) reliability - I want a highly reliable car. I hate taking my car to the shop and I want everything to run perfectly for at least 150,000 miles. What's the reliability history for these cars .

2) comfort- I have a long commute (130 miles a day) how comfortable are the seats for daily commuting?
Kept my 2001 mustang for 12 year and 240K miles. Was still a good car when i traded it. Only minor issues: fuel pump, coil, alternator and clutch

Picked up 2016 mustang for my DD. Interior is way more comfortable than the 2001. Love the base seats fits like a glove even on a couple 1800 mile round trip road treks. Have not been in the 18 mustangs yet but the interior should be close/better than the 15-17. Commute is 85 miles daily already have 45k miles on her and still enjoying the ride. The only thing on my car that has me worried is the AC evaporator leaking problem 15-17 mustangs are having. Picked up a Ford ESP to extend warranty coverage just in case. Have not really followed the 18's to see it this it happening to them also.

Sponsored

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
All I'm new to this forum. There are some hangups I have about getting a GT automatic mustang so I'm hoping someone can alleviate these concerns:

1) reliability - I want a highly reliable car. I hate taking my car to the shop and I want everything to run perfectly for at least 150,000 miles. What's the reliability history for these cars . I have an accord now so I'm spoiled by it's reliability and compromising is going to be difficult. If I'm going to be putting 40K on this car minimum I'm going to be driving it to the ground.

I purchased my car last Friday and the next day I drove 1000 miles to my home in Virginia . One thing I noticed from the beginning are the seats are not as comfortable as I would have liked. They are not the worst seats but they def are not the best. Another annoying thing I noticed immediately but I did not notice on the test drive is this car has some weird side view mirrors, it took awhile to get used too. If you are into performance, the 10 speed auto is the shit hands down. In normal mode it is sluggish and boring and couldn't seem to find the gear I needed it to be in at the right time, but in sport and track mode it is a beast.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
All true but warranties don't add back time to your life or negate the frustration of dealing with dealership for stupid issues. You are also under the mercy of whatever tech is working on your car.

The OP says he's expecting trouble free operation for 150K miles and not looking to compromise on the reliability he's used to. A warranty isn't a solution to that requirement/want.
So, you say he isn't shopping cars then, but brands & good dealers..?

Or somehow, you are saying Ford doesn't stand by their car warranties (?), while other companies do..?

Not all Ford dealers are hassles, you seem to want to be lumping them all in as one. I agree good customer service helps in an OWNER'S experience. (As many Dealers across the nation are use to dealing with a Lessee, who aren't concerned about the car's longevity and aren't as vigilant with maintenance, etc.)

For example, I had many Problems with my BMW, but the Dealer made it as painless as possible and it was a great ownership experience. Yeah, BMW picked my car up in my driveway, etc. Are you asking more, from a Ford Dealer..?

And to your point, no matter what dealership you are talking about, you are subject and under the mercy of whatever tech is working on your car. Thankfully Mulally strengthened the Dealership/Ford commitment and built their Dealership/Franchise's up, to the latest equipment & standards. Ford stand behind their Product, just like most Companies do.

What exactly is a "hassle" that the OP can't deal with..?
Sponsored