Potential first time mustang buyer looking for other member opinions

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Einar, It looks like you're starting to overthink this! I have found that the more one reads forum posts, the more indecisive you'll get. All the products you mention will do great things for you, and for every forum member that recommends one product, there is another that recommends a different product. Get the car first, then worry about mods. I drove mine stock (except cosmetics) for a year and had no regrets. Most mods can be DIY or local shop installed and most vendors ship international.

And, oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Einar, It looks like you're starting to overthink this! I have found that the more one reads forum posts, the more indecisive you'll get. All the products you mention will do great things for you, and for every forum member that recommends one product, there is another that recommends a different product. Get the car first, then worry about mods. I drove mine stock (except cosmetics) for a year and had no regrets. Most mods can be DIY or local shop installed and most vendors ship international.

And, oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!
I agree drive it stock then see what you like and don't like about the car. Then gradually change things. Don't buy all the mods before you get the car then once you get the car you might realize that you don't want to change things. :)

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
I would definitely get lowering springs and any other suspension mods you can swing. My dad came to the US from Iceland when he was 18 and when I was a kid he would always take the family up there every few years. I remember the traffic free twisty back roads everywhere we went. The factory suspension will leave you underwhelmed and wishing you did the mods when you had the chance.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Einar, from reading your thread it looks like you have never driven a S550 Mustang. So deciding what mods you want before driving the car is probably getting a little ahead of yourself. If you buy a unmodified Performance Package car I think you will be surprised how well it handles right from Ford. Once you get a feel for how the car drives than it is time to decide what mods you need to do to improve it the way you want it. You may also find that you like the car the way you got it. Also you should consider looking for a Premium 401a PP car. The BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert are safety features worth the extra cost.

OP
OP

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
Einar, from reading your thread it looks like you have never driven a S550 Mustang. So deciding what mods you want before driving the car is probably getting a little ahead of yourself. If you buy a unmodified Performance Package car I think you will be surprised how well it handles right from Ford. Once you get a feel for how the car drives than it is time to decide what mods you need to do to improve it the way you want it. You may also find that you like the car the way you got it. Also you should consider looking for a Premium 401a PP car. The BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert are safety features worth the extra cost.
Thanks everyone for the replies.
But just to clarify. The reason I am thinking of buying a car and add the mods all during a short space of time.
Is all about the $$$.
It is cheaper for me to buy this stuff and add it to the car, before it gets shipped to Iceland.
Then I won't be paying for shipping to Iceland and all kinds of import taxes that will eventually make the mods much more expensive.

And I think also must of the mods are a no brainer, something that gets recommended again and again

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Happened on your post. Thought I would give you my two cents. I ordered a Ruby Red 2017. I ended up ordering it as I could not find one with the options I wanted, Basically a 6 speed manual, PP and the 401A option. I drove the automatic and base GT. The manual is a different car. The PP is well worth the cost. The Brembo brakes alone are awesome. I have put 1000 miles on mine. Really glad I got the PP suspension package. Tight but not too much. I considered new exhaust but went with removing the resonator and replaced it with an X pipe. Just right, 50% louder but not obnoxious. I also replaced the clutch spring with that Steeda 35 lb. spring. I can feel the clutch much better than that 130 lb helper would let you. First time I drove a manual I had trouble starting out in 1st. Never really got use to it. And I have been driving sticks for 40 years. Ordered the Steeda. Real easy to replace. I love this car. Liked it when I got it but really love it now. By the way, these stock tires are pretty worthless even at 50 degrees outside. I don't drive mine in the winter here in Minneapolis. You get rims and tires with the PP package. I'd suggest you swap out the tires for all weather performance tires before shipping it home.

I was considering upgrading the springs and sway bars. I learned that the Ford Street Performance package is the PP package except for the springs. Those springs which you can order alone will drop the car about 1/2 inch. I decided to drive it for awhile before I did that. At this point not sure I am going to swap out the springs. This PP suspension is pretty stiff. Not race car but far stiffer than you think a stock car would be. I will swap out the air filter. Also I learned that replacing the exhaust system is not going to add HP or torque. It will just make it louder. And most of those exhausts are very loud. Again I am pleased with X pipe swap I did. For what it is worth the GT350 springs and shocks will fit the S550. Honestly, that would be cool to have a racing suspension on my Mustang but I am not going to be racing it. It is my summer daily driver. I have a "racing" type suspension on my 68 Mustang. Lowered it about an 1". Pretty stiff. Love the car and how it drives. But wouldn't want to drive that all the time.

If you can still find a 2017, the PP eliminates the rear spoiler. Dumb but that is what Ford did. The 2018 PP comes with the rear spoiler. I was going to put the GT350 spoiler on my car but haven't. At this point after having it for several months I may not put the spoiler on it. It does have a bit of a duck tail spoiler on the trunk lid as is. Kind of like it the way it is. The point of telling you that is I had ALL these cool things I was going to do to it. But a friend convinced me to drive it awhile. And now I may just leave it like it is now.
Sponsored

Last edited: