Sponsored

Need advice on Battery Connector Cable

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
Hey Everyone,

So first I want to say that Yes I'm an idiot and you will probably feel the same after looking at the pic I attached, as to why I let it get to this point. This could have been easily preventable.

I hadn't checked on my battery for a long time until it just went dead. Part of the issue is also because I only drive it once in a while.

Ok now on to the issue.

As you can see the cable end that connects to the positive terminal has got a lot of corrosion on it. I cleaned it the best I could (pic is b4 I cleaned it).

I put in a new battery and all is working fine right now.

The issue is, the plastic piece that allow the connector to tighten around the terminal got chewed away from the acid buildup.

So the connector right now is just sitting on the terminal but not fastened because the screw has nothing to fasten to.

What I want to find out is, is it possible to just get either the plastic piece or the whole connector end or will I need the whole cable replaced?

I am hoping just the plastic piece or connector end piece. Having to replace the whole cable would probably cost a lot of money.

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

battery terminal.jpg
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm changing my battery right now, and separated the negative battery post to install a washer (with a slit, since you cannot remove the nut). I have no idea why that plastic part is there, but it's NOT doing anything. If you cannot tighten the clamp, the metal bar that goes across the terminal probably broke due to corrosion. You should be able to order the negative side, and just take it apart and install the necessary parts on the positive side, so you don't have to replace the positive cable. The post has 2 grinded areas to avoid removing the nut easily, but you can do it. In fact, I'd first try to 'make' the threads with a Dremel, so it's easier to remove it. Then you can screw it in and out a couple of times to redo the threads, and it should be perfectly fine. For what I can tell, the hardware on those clamps should be interchangeable, since it looks the same. Good luck.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Youre not dumb, this is common on these cars for some reason. People had different ideas, like the factory tightening the cables down too hard.

OP
OP
Ashiq73

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Aggie1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hi,

So that terminal end worked for the Positive side?

Thanks
No I used it on the negative side. If you ask in that thread I linked Levittown can give you the part number for the positive terminal hopefully.

OP
OP
Ashiq73

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so I finally had the part installed by GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga.

They ordered the part and installed it (for the positive battery terminal).

I am not going to put the battery cover back on because when I open the hood I can quickly inspect the state of the battery.

I should have been doing that on a more frequent basis but hopefully will not let it get that acidic again.

As others have mentioned, the part number is: BT4Z-14450-AA

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg
Sponsored