My ticking ecobomb finally went boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
So I got to page 5 of this thread and I have come to the conclusion 99% of the ecoboost that blow up are from user error.
At least 70%.. lol
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't give your car 25% throttle in any gear, the engine design is faulty and unsuitable for purpose.
You can with a stock tune. If you're going to tune, particularly a turbo car, know what you're getting into. An extra 5 psi of boost is a significant increase in cylinder pressure and pre-ignition is more likely the higher the pressures.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
You can with a stock tune. If you're going to tune, particularly a turbo car, know what you're getting into. An extra 5 psi of boost is a significant increase in cylinder pressure and pre-ignition is more likely the higher the pressures.
If you can't give your tuned car 25% throttle in any gear, the tune is faulty and unsuitable for purpose.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't give your tuned car 25% throttle in any gear, the tune is faulty and unsuitable for purpose.
Agreed. I'd be wary of daily driving anything with over 20 lbs of boost (stock max level +/- 2 from there, if I recall)

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
And I have ppl tell me I'm crazy for trading last night
Yea, you are not freaking crazy. I'm crazy.... I still have mine!!!!! :eyebulge:

Looking at the numbers... got mine for $33k... trade 25k.... new GT around 40k. If I blow my engine I can get fixed for what 7k (but then I'd more than likely want to trade it anyway and be out another 7k on the upgrade from 4 to 8cyl). Then again, I might just look for something else altogether...

I really wanted to keep this car for three years.

I contacted the dealer and will see if they will make me an offer I can't refuse. If not, I'll hang on to this one and hope it does not go boom.

I can say this is the first and last time I tune a car... not been a great experience.

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
gotcha so DI engines all come from the factory correct, only aftermarket tuning can create LSPI, and oil vapor/residue/composition has nothing to do with LSPI. Only incorrect tuning?

just making sure I clearly understand what you're saying.
Glad you understand.

The factory PCV system on the 2.3 is well designed; you aren't going to get oil pulled into the intake unless you're running the car on the track. In which case, a catch can would be a good investment. For normal driving, it's not an issue.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Yea, you are not freaking crazy. I'm crazy.... I still have mine!!!!! :eyebulge:

Looking at the numbers... got mine for $33k... trade 25k.... new GT around 40k. If I blow my engine I can get fixed for what 7k (but then I'd more than likely want to trade it anyway and be out another 7k on the upgrade from 4 to 8cyl). Then again, I might just look for something else altogether...

I really wanted to keep this car for three years.

I contacted the dealer and will see if they will make me an offer I can't refuse. If not, I'll hang on to this one and hope it does not go boom.

I can say this is the first and last time I tune a car... not been a great experience.
$40k for a GT? Only if you get a premium and pay msrp. Mine was like $31K OTD from Koons ford in Baltimore. Optioned with TY, ato trans and black accent

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
No, what I'm referring to is what I said. Tuning most definitely affects the possibility of LSPI occurring; it is mainly due to improper ignition timing and fuel injection event timing. Improper ignition timing alone can send cylinder temperatures skyrocketing. LSPI can also be induced by excessive cylinder pressures, which is why a tune that increases boost above factory levels can result in LSPI.

And despite what you seem to think, DI engines are not diesels. They don't inject fuel all at once when the piston is at TDC; that would give the fuel exactly zero time to atomize within the combustion chamber.

Hydrodynamic lubrication provides an extremely strong film of oil to prevent the bearing journal from coming into contact with the bearing itself during operation. For example, only a few PSI of oil pressure is required to maintain bearing lubrication at idle.

The oil pump on the Ecoboost 2.3 is able to provide up to 60 PSI at only 2,000RPM. Therefore, even at 1150RPM, where is still more than sufficient oil pressure to maintain bearing lubrication, even under a load. It's not something to worry about.

Once again....Ford does extensive testing to ensure that your dreaded LSPI doesn't occur with the factory tune. It's MODIFIED vehicles that have the greatest threat of LSPI. My 2.7 Ecoboost will pull hills in 6th gear at 1100RPM without an issue, and that's on 87 octane. Do I panic and manually downshift it to 5th?? Of course not, because the factory tune is designed to allow the engine to operate safely under all conditions that may be encountered.

Of course you would like that, because you don't like to be called out for being wrong. Unfortunately, spreading nonsense and misinformation is not helpful to anyone, so I will continue to post the facts to clear things up for you.
Hi, what if I add CAI BOV and IC without aftermarket tune? Will LSPI happen? Thanks

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Hi, what if I add CAI BOV and IC without aftermarket tune? Will LSPI happen? Thanks
None of those things will directly impact whether or not LSPI will happen. A good tune can help keep you out of the danger zone in an auto though

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
None of those things will directly impact whether or not LSPI will happen. A good tune can help keep you out of the danger zone in an auto though
You mean a good tune will make it safer than stock tune?

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
CAI should have no effect on LSPI, as these engines use speed density and not Mass Air Flow.

A larger intercooler is beneficial, because it will improve the cooling of the air charge entering the cylinders.

A BOV is pointless, keep the factory bypass system.

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
CAI should have no effect on LSPI, as these engines use speed density and not Mass Air Flow.

A larger intercooler is beneficial, because it will improve the cooling of the air charge entering the cylinders.

A BOV is pointless, keep the factory bypass system.
Thanks for reply. I was scared by these engine failures. Maybe I should keep the stock tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.