My ticking ecobomb finally went boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
$40k for a GT? Only if you get a premium and pay msrp. Mine was like $31K OTD from Koons ford in Baltimore. Optioned with TY, ato trans and black accent
Sorry... I should have been clear... I have to get a convertible! :headbang:

Lowest I've seen is 38k at Koons... for an auto (had a manual for 8 years, not ready to go back there yet).
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Lol a gt350 though? That's quite a jump in a year's time. I guess he'll be able to get a used one for around $50-60K by then
Lol not sure why that video was shared here but my assumption was that by the end of the 2017 model year I'm hoping dealers will get realistic about their GT350 pricing and a leftover 2017 or even 2016 might be had for less than sticker. Still lots of factors up in the air as I don't plan to do anything for another year which is why I said GT or GT350. Seeing how happy you and a few others are that recently switched from EB to GT is making me consider a leftover 16 now though with the incentives they have...decisions decisions.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
You might be new to Mustang, but SVT/Ford Performance cars don't lose value. Look at the price difference between an 04 GT and an 04 Cobra, its over a $15,000 price difference 10+ years later. Just buy a 2011 GT for stupid cheap and call it a day.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Reading thru these posts it has become obvious that the Ecoboost can't trust people and not the other way around. Ford built 1.3 million Ecoboost engines last year so you can be sure these engines work as designed and are not blowing up for no reason. Of course there will be issues/defects with all engines but not widespread and nothing to fear, unless of course it is a GM made car and the ignition switch is faulty. If you take a brand new car and bolt on a few mods like exhaust and CAI there are no warranty issues and everyone will know how cool you are by the sound of your exhaust and you will be covered for 5 years or 60k miles. You can even extend the warranty to cover longer periods with extended service plans. If you knowingly void your warranty with aggressive custom tuning and your car blows up don't come crying on the forums about your ticking time bomb or how scared you are about ecoboomb blowing up in the future and that you traded the EB for a GT because you need reliable transportation. (I heard Ford dealers are now offering EB to GT lube so it doesn't hurt too bad when the Ford salesman bends you over the desk). I do feel bad for anyone who blows an engine and I am not trying to be critical of your decision to eek out a 0-60 time of light-speed, I just don't understand why you people go out and buy a brand new car with a perfectly good engine/warranty and FUCK IT UP.

If your engine blows up please post relevant details so others can learn from your mistakes. Don't leave a bunch of details out of the post and blame Ford. Missing 6.5 qrts of Oil and a dipstick? Really.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
You might be new to Mustang, but SVT/Ford Performance cars don't lose value. Look at the price difference between an 04 GT and an 04 Cobra, its over a $15,000 price difference 10+ years later. Just buy a 2011 GT for stupid cheap and call it a day.
I'm not looking for a GT350 for stupid cheap, just waiting it out so I can save up and also to see if dealers will have ditched the ADMs by next year. I know some dealers will sell GT350s at MSRP already so maybe by next year some will offer them under sticker.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Reading thru these posts it has become obvious that the Ecoboost can't trust people and not the other way around. Ford built 1.3 million Ecoboost engines last year so you can be sure these engines work as designed and are not blowing up for no reason. Of course there will be issues/defects with all engines but not widespread and nothing to fear, unless of course it is a GM made car and the ignition switch is faulty. If you take a brand new car and bolt on a few mods like exhaust and CAI there are no warranty issues and everyone will know how cool you are by the sound of your exhaust and you will be covered for 5 years or 60k miles. You can even extend the warranty to cover longer periods with extended service plans. If you knowingly void your warranty with aggressive custom tuning and your car blows up don't come crying on the forums about your ticking time bomb or how scared you are about ecoboomb blowing up in the future and that you traded the EB for a GT because you need reliable transportation. (I heard Ford dealers are now offering EB to GT lube so it doesn't hurt too bad when the Ford salesman bends you over the desk). I do feel bad for anyone who blows an engine and I am not trying to be critical of your decision to eek out a 0-60 time of light-speed, I just don't understand why you people go out and buy a brand new car with a perfectly good engine/warranty and FUCK IT UP.

If your engine blows up please post relevant details so others can learn from your mistakes. Don't leave a bunch of details out of the post and blame Ford. Missing 6.5 qrts of Oil and a dipstick? Really.
This is what I'm thinking as well.

I'll be interested to see if someone starts a EcoBoost VIN registry for ones that blew up (including the most likely culprit of the event). Not that we'll know all of them since this forum is a small cross section of EcoBoost buyers and heavily weighted towards entusiasts, but it might still give us some numbers.

I'll also be interested to see if this issue ever becomes a recall item. I've seen it posted here that the older 2014 built Mustang EBs had different parts than the newer ones. Is this true? Which specific parts were changed? And was it specifically by Ford to prevent this type of thing, or just a coincidence?

Any official word on this change?

This thread has been an interesting read.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I'm thinking as well.

I'll be interested to see if someone starts a EcoBoost VIN registry for ones that blew up (including the most likely culprit of the event). Not that we'll know all of them since this forum is a small cross section of EcoBoost buyers and heavily weighted towards entusiasts, but it might still give us some numbers.

I'll also be interested to see if this issue ever becomes a recall item. I've seen it posted here that the older 2014 built Mustang EBs had different parts than the newer ones. Is this true? Which specific parts were changed? And was it specifically by Ford to prevent this type of thing, or just a coincidence?

Any official word on this change?

This thread has been an interesting read.
I have not found any evidence that engine parts were changed by Ford but it may very well be the case. If parts were changed I would expect to find some kind of evidence of that change, either written or actual part numbers. It appears the 2.3t was made in Spain until feb-march 2015 so that would pretty much include all 2015 engines. Previously Ford released TSB for the (not-so-bullet proof) 2011-2012 5.0 Coyote to not mod the engines due to some problems so I would imagine the same type of TSB would be released for the 2.3t if needed.

Ford TSB: Dont Modify Your 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0

http://www.fnsweet.com/2011/07/ford-tsb-dont-modify-your-2011-2012-mustang-5-0/#.VxTouTHz7Ic

Ford Producing 2.0, 2.3-Liter EcoBoost Engines in US

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/167036/ford-producing-20-23liter-ecoboost-engines-in-us

Last edited:

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Good stuff [MENTION=23128]Maggneto[/MENTION]. I'm not too worried on my own behalf, since I drive like I'm in my 40s, and the only engine based mod I'm considering a catch can. :cheers:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff @Maggneto. I'm not too worried on my own behalf, since I drive like I'm in my 40s, and the only engine based mod I'm considering a catch can. :cheers:
The only mod I have ever done to any car or motorcycle I have ever owned is a drop in K&N filter. I buy the car I want the first time and if I wanted a faster car I would have bought a faster car the first time. I wouldn't even put a catch-can on the car to be honest as some people say the PCV modifications/gutting can cause undesirable behavior. I would check with your Ford Service manager for advice.

I drive cars hard and don't baby my stuff. If the engine goes boom I will have a huge smile on my face when it goes and I won't be going back to Ford.:headbang:

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT

You are saying all this shit in hindsight. I guarantee if you were on here a year ago you would have tuned your car as wel if you plan to mod at alll. If you like your EB and you can't afford a GT and you think you're too smart to get the car tuned, that's great. Stfu. If you're like me and a TON of other ppl who bought the EB because they wanted to modify it and get the best of both worlds but would rather buy a GT than worry about potential repairs then you would understand that the loss on trade doesn't compare to the satisfaction afterward.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are saying all this shit in hindsight. I guarantee if you were on here a year ago you would have tuned your car as wel if you plan to mod at alll. If you like your EB and you can't afford a GT and you think you're too smart to get the car tuned, that's great. Stfu. If you're like me and a TON of other ppl who bought the EB because they wanted to modify it and get the best of both worlds but would rather buy a GT than worry about potential repairs then you would understand that the loss on trade doesn't compare to the satisfaction afterward.
Wrong on all counts. I have been a Mustang owner since August of 2015 and I am a member of another Mustang Ecoboost forum for nearly as long. Just becuase I am new to this forum doesn't mean I am new to Mustang. I could have easily purchased any 5.0 on the lot but didn't for good reason. You on the other hand purchased an ecoboost, tried to make it a fast as a GT and voided your warranty.

Also, about the bullet proof 5.0 you are so sure is more reliable.

http://www.fnsweet.com/2011/07/ford-.../#.VxTouTHz7Ic

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Speak for yourself bro, just cause you were scared don't mean everyone is. LOL at you telling him to STFU when he makes perfect sense....they must threw in a sack with that GT

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
These pretentious anti-mod posts are almost as nauseating as the ones that vehemently defend Ford's horrendous quality and customer care issues.
I know who got all A's in English class.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Also, about the bullet proof 5.0 you are so sure is more reliable.

http://www.fnsweet.com/2011/07/ford-.../#.VxTouTHz7Ic
Oh yea a tsb for the very first year the coyote was introduced is very relevant in 2016

Speak for yourself bro, just cause you were scared don't mean everyone is. LOL at you telling him to STFU when he makes perfect sense....they must threw in a sack with that GT
He's making sense for you because you've dumped an ongodly amount of money into your Eco and you wouldn't think of trading at this point. There is a new thread every week for someone who trades up and there will continue to be. What works for some might not for others
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.