My somewhat budget friendly drag setup

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Nice looking setup you have there ponie1992! I just ordered a set of drag wheels for my ride. I was looking at M&H bias ply front runner again (ran them on my 2013). I drove at least 4K miles on the street/interstate with that setup and had no issues. Having said that, this time around I became more curious as to how safe they were for street use, so I called M&H for clarification. Here is what they told me regarding their new 28X4.5-18 tire:

1. Do not drive with these tires on the street (even though they say DOT approved), as this will tear them up.
2. The tire can handle speeds of up to 250 MPH with no problem.
3. Their 4.5” tire can be used on a 5” wide wheel.
4. Max tire pressure says 35 psi, but they can be run at 40 psi during runs to reduce rolling resistance.

This information caused me to do a little more research and I’ve read posts that said running bias ply front runners on the street was dangerous because they could roll over on the wheel during turns and/or break the bead, resulting in a sudden loss of pressure and control of the vehicle.

As much as I liked the M&H during my one and only time using them years ago, I’m torn between buying another set or buying M/T Sportsman S/R (radial) for more strengths d durability. It would be nice to hear what others have to say about either tire.

OP
OP
ponie1992

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Nice looking setup you have there ponie1992! I just ordered a set of drag wheels for my ride. I was looking at M&H bias ply front runner again (ran them on my 2013). I drove at least 4K miles on the street/interstate with that setup and had no issues. Having said that, this time around I became more curious as to how safe they were for street use, so I called M&H for clarification. Here is what they told me regarding their new 28X4.5-18 tire:

1. Do not drive with these tires on the street (even though they say DOT approved), as this will tear them up.
2. The tire can handle speeds of up to 250 MPH with no problem.
3. Their 4.5” tire can be used on a 5” wide wheel.
4. Max tire pressure says 35 psi, but they can be run at 40 psi during runs to reduce rolling resistance.

This information caused me to do a little more research and I’ve read posts that said running bias ply front runners on the street was dangerous because they could roll over on the wheel during turns and/or break the bead, resulting in a sudden loss of pressure and control of the vehicle.

As much as I liked the M&H during my one and only time using them years ago, I’m torn between buying another set or buying M/T Sportsman S/R (radial) for more strengths d durability. It would be nice to hear what others have to say about either tire.
I can understand your concern. I got the M&H simply for the DOT rating, so I can run street car classes. Very seldom do I drive with them on the street, but I have without issue. I think their warning is more of a CYA deal. Most people will be cautious when running bias ply skinnies, but you always have those that aren't. I also chose bias fronts because of the rear slicks and MT ET street R bias tires that I was running last year. I wanted to eliminate that radial front/bias rear sway. An added benefit is the bias fronts are so much lighter than radial fronts.
But, do what makes you most comfortable. It sucks when the driving experience is poor when you have to be overly cautious.
Sponsored