Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
4.7L ecoboost,
I would love to see a 4.7 Ecoboost in a future Mustang. It'd be cool to see the 289 back again ;)

However, for the Mach 1, I'd prefer it N/A. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....a 5.2 CPC would be my ideal engine for the Mach 1 :)
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I would love to see a 4.7 Ecoboost in a future Mustang. It'd be cool to see the 289 back again ;)

However, for the Mach 1, I'd prefer it N/A. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....a 5.2 CPC would be my ideal engine for the Mach 1 :)
What would be your ideal HP/TQ for that motor?

475/430 is my guess.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
What would be your ideal HP/TQ for that motor?

475/430 is my guess.
Ideally 485/440........but that's probably wishful thinking, but your figures would still make me happy.

I guess it depend whether such an engine would come with dual port/direct injection and any other such goodies.

It's all hypothetical, anyway. We know Ford can supply a 5.2 CPC to the aftermarket.....it's whether it would choose to supply that in a series production Mustang. I really hope they do......and I really hope they call it Mach 1 :)

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Ideally 485/440........but that's probably wishful thinking, but your figures would still make me happy.

I guess it depend whether such an engine would come with dual port/direct injection and any other such goodies.

It's all hypothetical, anyway. We know Ford can supply a 5.2 CPC to the aftermarket.....it's whether it would choose to supply that in a series production Mustang. I really hope they do......and I really hope they call it Mach 1 :)
Yep agree with you there, I was a bit more conservative with my TQ numbers as I'm not sure if a CPC will be easier to squeeze more TQ than the FPC....

(obligatory plug for a Glass Roof too :ford:)

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The 5.2 is GT350 exclusive... you'll never see it in any other Mustang. Y'all have to get realistic here and think about the 5.0. It won't have more HP than the GT350, and it has to be at a price point the Mach buyers (assuming there ever is a Mach) would expect - more than a GT but not by much.
Plus, 2 years have gone by for the S550... it's time for some engine updates for 2017. Think about D.I. becoming standard for the 5.0 - 20 more HP and 20 more torque. The Mach would then be appearance and suspension only, not engine. And the 10-speed as an option. The 10-speed is ideally suited to the Coyote and would keep the engine in the perfect rev range at all times, shifting far faster than any human. It's got far more torque capacity than the 5.0 needs (it is after all the optional auto on the ZL1), and it will make the car accelerate far better than the manual. Speaking of which, IMHO it's time to retire the inherently faulty MT82 and go with the GT350's transmission as standard.
I also want to see the magnetorheological shocks as part of the Track Pack, which makes the GT with Track Pack directly analogous to the Camaro SS with it's optional magnetorheological shocks. And the current Track Pack Mustang is too soft, not aggressive enough. It needs to be a true track option, not an option for street drivers.
So this is where I see the 2017 Mustang going... or maybe that should be a half-year as-is and the 2018 (with these improvements) should come early next spring.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The 5.2 is GT350 exclusive... you'll never see it in any other Mustang.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. With regards the 5.2 being a GT350 exclusive? I'd say that would definitely be the case with the flat plane crank and it's high revving nature. Personally, I'd like to see a version with the cross plane crank, along with DI/dual port injection.

I do think the 5.0 will receive DI/DPI for the '18MY......and that may suffice for the Mach 1 (if indeed, there is a Mach 1 coming!)......but I'd like to see them doing something more, something unique to the engine (don't forget the SN95 Mach 1 engine was MUCH more than just a stock GT engine, with it's N/A quad cam and 32 valves)

:)

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D.I. is a terrific technology, very desirable, and not an inhibitor to modification at all - look what the aftermarket is doing with GM's 6.2 (both the naturally aspirated and the factory supercharged). This is smart all the way around, and the only inhibitor is misconceptions. Of which people without it persist with a few.

We'd all like to see something unique for a potential Mach 1... but the engine in the last Mach wasn't unique. It already existed in other Ford products - so the financials weren't very hard to justify for what was only a small production run. And arguably it wasn't that great of an engine, with it's soft internals compared to the old Cobra 4.6.

So given a financial requirement, meaning using an existing engine as a way to keep development costs down - and a way to keep the final consumer price reasonable, what other engine in the Ford lineup is available for re-use? One answer: 3.5 EcoBoost V-6. It's about to go into it's second generation, with more power across the board and two separate high-output versions (Raptor and Ford GT). Using this would also solve the problem of introducing this engine to the Mustang lineup, where it has a very important role to play in the longer term CAFE issue. It's also very highly modifiable and it would be a very fun engine to drive - coming on the boost is much more fun than coming on the "cam". And the 10 speed is already set to go with it (the standard transmission on the Raptor).

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
D.I. is a terrific technology, very desirable, and not an inhibitor to modification at all - look what the aftermarket is doing with GM's 6.2 (both the naturally aspirated and the factory supercharged). This is smart all the way around, and the only inhibitor is misconceptions. Of which people without it persist with a few.

We'd all like to see something unique for a potential Mach 1... but the engine in the last Mach wasn't unique. It already existed in other Ford products - so the financials weren't very hard to justify for what was only a small production run. And arguably it wasn't that great of an engine, with it's soft internals compared to the old Cobra 4.6.

So given a financial requirement, meaning using an existing engine as a way to keep development costs down - and a way to keep the final consumer price reasonable, what other engine in the Ford lineup is available for re-use? One answer: 3.5 EcoBoost V-6. It's about to go into it's second generation, with more power across the board and two separate high-output versions (Raptor and Ford GT). Using this would also solve the problem of introducing this engine to the Mustang lineup, where it has a very important role to play in the longer term CAFE issue. It's also very highly modifiable and it would be a very fun engine to drive - coming on the boost is much more fun than coming on the "cam". And the 10 speed is already set to go with it (the standard transmission on the Raptor).
Its not quite the panacea you make it out to be. It still has carbon buildup problems which will eventually be solved and will always be more expensive than port due to its high pressure nature (possibly using a form of both port and direct, more expense). To get the full benefits compression must be raised and provisions to access the combustion chamber directly so it will never make it as an "add on" option to older engines.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not exactly... compression *can* be raised (but doesn't have to be), which is always desirable (in degrees for naturally aspirated engines as well as unnaturally aspirated) for and has numerous benefits that outweigh the complexity and cost (both of which are rapidly coming down).
Nonetheless, D.I. is not the wave of the future - it's the reality of the present and engines using this are better all around. It'll be on every gasoline engine from Ford as they are developed or updated (and already is on many, as well as most other manufacturers).

While from an engineering requirement it's not technically required to build a turbocharged engine, it is highly desirable for fine tuning and the entire EcoBoost lineup uses it (we'll have to see if Ford someday plays with supplemental port injection on some engines, as Toyota does, but port won't be a primary system because it can't meet the primary criteria anymore) as well as some naturally aspirated engines (such as the base Focus 2 liter).

When we get D.I. on the Coyote, we'll be looking at a whole range of benefits there as well. And, because the F-150 engineering budget pays the bills for the V-8 architecture for the Mustang, as it always has, it'll be there as well.

And, yes, we have to have better quality fuel, we have to take better care of our cars, and an aftermarket D.I. system is impractical because of the mounting requirements in the head (it's not impossible, but it would be expensive). All the price of progress.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The 5.2 is GT350 exclusive... you'll never see it in any other Mustang. Y'all have to get realistic here and think about the 5.0. It won't have more HP than the GT350, and it has to be at a price point the Mach buyers (assuming there ever is a Mach) would expect - more than a GT but not by much.
Plus, 2 years have gone by for the S550... it's time for some engine updates for 2017. Think about D.I. becoming standard for the 5.0 - 20 more HP and 20 more torque. The Mach would then be appearance and suspension only, not engine. And the 10-speed as an option. The 10-speed is ideally suited to the Coyote and would keep the engine in the perfect rev range at all times, shifting far faster than any human. It's got far more torque capacity than the 5.0 needs (it is after all the optional auto on the ZL1), and it will make the car accelerate far better than the manual. Speaking of which, IMHO it's time to retire the inherently faulty MT82 and go with the GT350's transmission as standard.
I also want to see the magnetorheological shocks as part of the Track Pack, which makes the GT with Track Pack directly analogous to the Camaro SS with it's optional magnetorheological shocks. And the current Track Pack Mustang is too soft, not aggressive enough. It needs to be a true track option, not an option for street drivers.
So this is where I see the 2017 Mustang going... or maybe that should be a half-year as-is and the 2018 (with these improvements) should come early next spring.
But they COULD toss on the cams and heads from the GT350 that were revised/made for the Coyote block (and I think intake manifold) that Ford Racing showed off.

That could easily put the motor at 500hp right there even in toned down form. I believe they were pushing over 550 with the full 350 parts on the Coyote.

The Coyote has a lot of life left in it honestly, even without going DI, unless they go Ecoboost V6. Plus they can re-use parts, or at least parts that they already paid the tooling cost for, which is always a cost plus to the manufacturer.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Strange. I wonder how the Mach fits.

There is the GT, the GT350, the upcoming Cobra/GT500...

Meanwhile the Camaro has an ss, a forthcoming z28, and a zl1.

Unless the Mach 1 takes over for the gt350 and reinvents itself as a z28 killer, it seems difficult to justify (unless it takes over for the GT).

I hope it's treated very special. A Lightened up track terror with an engine that can rip straight line performance to shreds.

The SS is faster than the GT. The z28 will likely beat the 350 around the track. I don't think there's any way the zl1 isnt made a mockery of by the gt500, but I'd really hate for that to be the Mustangs only win.

A DI coyote would see the GT beat the DI SS. A power bumped and lightened gt350 should take a new z. And an FI v8 gt500 should crush the zl1. But dang if we don't have to wait so long to get there.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP I'd really hate for that to be the Mustangs only win.
The new Mustangs beat all the last gen Camaros when they came out.
Sponsored