Sponsored

My Pipes!

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ummmmmm

Had the car out today and noticed both the inner tips on both sides are showing signs of corroding that looks like brown rust blotches. Its not on the tip edge, its on the side. Baring in mind the car is always garaged (dry garage) hasnt seen the salty roads this year I am disappointed, note not particularly surprised.

I will try autosol but long term i reckon this is going to be an issue, any tips (notice what ive done there!!) Would a decent place be able to powder coat? Looks a mess to be honest. Didnt have my phone to take a picture but will do in the next few days, i cant get near them when parked in my garage.

I love the way the tips look from a distance but boy they are rough as a fairground worker, real shitty quality.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You may think Iā€™m joking when I say this, but Iā€™m not. Put some Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner (liquid gel) on a cotton ball, rub it on the pipes and watch them turn brand new looking again. Once youā€™ve done that, just hose off the residual, dry them off and admire the new luster again.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmmmm

Had the car out today and noticed both the inner tips on both sides are showing signs of corroding that looks like brown rust blotches. Its not on the tip edge, its on the side. Baring in mind the car is always garaged (dry garage) hasnt seen the salty roads this year I am disappointed, note not particularly surprised.

I will try autosol but long term i reckon this is going to be an issue, any tips (notice what ive done there!!) Would a decent place be able to powder coat? Looks a mess to be honest. Didnt have my phone to take a picture but will do in the next few days, i cant get near them when parked in my garage.

I love the way the tips look from a distance but boy they are rough as a fairground worker, real shitty quality.
I would like to see those pictures as Iā€™m interested in whatā€™s going on :frown:

Touch wood, mine still look smart after I polished them from new (frequently wet but no salt).

Iā€™ve not put a magnet on them, but if I think on I will try it tomorrow :like:

WD :like:

mhdgsn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Magnetic Mustang GT
Funnily enough, yesterday I cleaned my (2020 GT) exhausts for the first time since autumn (my cars is parked outside unfortunately) and noticed they were covered in bumpy warts while rubbing them which I'm sure weren't there last year.

As you say, they look ok from afar but it is frustrating and hopefully won't get worse. I've come from chrome tips on an XKR that always cleaned up immaculate so this is an unwelcome surprise for me.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
You may think Iā€™m joking when I say this, but Iā€™m not. Put some Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner (liquid gel) on a cotton ball, rub it on the pipes and watch them turn brand new looking again. Once youā€™ve done that, just hose off the residual, dry them off and admire the new luster again.
i see you're in the US of A, funny thing in the UK we appear not to be able to get Lysol liquid gel. Does Ciff stainless cleaner work just as well - asking for a friend.... :like:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
i see you're in the US of A, funny thing in the UK we appear not to be able to get Lysol liquid gel. Does Ciff stainless cleaner work just as well - asking for a friend.... :like:
Iā€™m not sure about that product. You could try it on an inconspicuous area on the exhaust (like the mid pipe or catalytic converter body) and see if it turns it back to the like new stainless steel color. If it does youā€˜er good to go.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For us on this side of the pond, T-cut is great on stainless tips, itā€™s cheap, easy to get hold of (pretty much every gas station sells it, even supermarkets) and lasts ages.

Get the original stuff that stinks, it seems to have just the right combination of chemical cleaning to dissolve the burnt on tar and abrasive to polish them up :like:

Oh yeah, even though it was intended for it, never (ever) use it on paint ā€¦ lol

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@wenklaw - I thought you might be interested in this, there is a very distinct difference in the magnetism of the inner and outer tips :

Itā€™s the same on both sides. That magnet is reasonably strong, it was rescued from a kids magnetic dartboard before the misses recycled it.

I know working stainless can alter its magnetism, but there isnā€™t really any significant change in the forming of the inner and outer tips that could influence that.

The video was pre cleaning, but post cleaning (internal only) with T-Cut on a 3M kitchen pad finishes them like this :

FDF55650-46-C7-4526-997-C-75175-EAB4-C33.jpg

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
For us on this side of the pond, T-cut is great on stainless tips, itā€™s cheap, easy to get hold of (pretty much every gas station sells it, even supermarkets) and lasts ages.

Get the original stuff that stinks, it seems to have just the right combination of chemical cleaning to dissolve the burnt on tar and abrasive to polish them up :like:

Oh yeah, even though it was intended for it, never (ever) use it on paint ā€¦ lol

T-Cut is fine on paint when you need to flat or cut into the surface such as for scratch removal and colour restoration. But don't use it as a polish because it isn't.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Just my 2p...

Magnetism is not a test of whether steel is "stainless" or not. Some stainless steels are magnetic, some are liable to corrode, some are both and some are neither.

For example S420 is classed as stainless but is magnetic and corrodes. S416 is magnetic but will not corrode. The highest quality stainless steels are of the marine variety, but due to cost the manufacturers will not be using that, especially penny pinching Ford.

I cannot imagine why the inner and outer pipes would be of different grades??

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Just my 2p...

Magnetism is not a test of whether steel is "stainless" or not. Some stainless steels are magnetic, some are liable to corrode, some are both and some are neither.

For example S420 is classed as stainless but is magnetic and corrodes. S416 is magnetic but will not corrode. The highest quality stainless steels are of the marine variety, but due to cost the manufacturers will not be using that, especially penny pinching Ford.

I cannot imagine why the inner and outer pipes would be of different grades??
even marine grade (316 or 312 i think can't remember exactly) corrodes to some extent over time and needs a little tlc especially where its socketed into fittings and water can pool around it.
Sponsored