Sponsored

My next convertible ... another Mustang GT? Something else? Misc rambling!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So I'm ready for something new, with one of the primary drivers being I want to go from my manual (after a string of manuals over 20+ years ...) to a new 10-speed, several reasons, I've posted in a few threads regarding M6 vs. A10, anyway ...

One conspicuous choice is moving to a MY18+ GT convertible. It checks quite a few boxes, but really loading it up like I'd prefer gets a bit pricey (given what you're getting vs. some other options). I'm totally brand agnostic, I don't have any issues owning a car made from any manufacturer, so "I'd never drive a <insert_make>" isn't a factor for me :)

So the Mustang GT convertible:

- Very quick stock, really wakes up with a tune + FlexFuel, ~530HP with supporting mods, that's stout with the A10
- Slick digital dash
- Solid comfort features: heated seats and steering wheel (finally), Sync 3 works decently well (Car Play)
- I do like the Mustang, the design, owning another one lets me stay in this community, utilize existing knowledge of the platform (options, vendors, etc.)
- Option for multi-mode exhaust
- Option for mag suspension, *however* it's tied to the Perf Package, so it winds up being ~$6K (obv. you also wind up with all the excellent PP improvements)
- More of the same, I generally haven't done two cars of the same make/model back-to-back (with the exception of one Corvette to Corvette trade)
- Would want bigger/different wheels/tires (maybe move my existing setup?)
- Top mechanism missing some features, some can be fixed with a SmartTOP module

The main competition ... a Camaro ZL1 convertible.

- Insanely fast, easily modified to another 75-100HP from factory FI
- Doesn't need a wheel/tire change
- MM exhaust and mag suspension standard
- Slicker top, some functionality can be fixed on the Mustang with aftermarket part, some can't (fully remote/automated locking)
- Crappy trunk space, with a __difference__ based on whether the top is up or down
- Would definitely be used, though some sub-5K mile CPO cars occasionally pop up
- Standard Camaro issue of visibility with the top up, that's a rare situation, but a decision point
- More exclusivity with the special model
- To match performance would require major aftermarket from the GT, i.e., FI (which gets into dealing with tuning, other components not designed to account for it)

They both share the roughly the same 10-speed automatic, either is probably more than enough for the street, but OOTB, the ZL1 has a ~200HP advantage. Without the Perf Package, the GT becomes way less feature competitive (no Mag suspension, much smaller brakes [even if this is just a cosmetic consideration], less cooling, less performing rear end[?]).

I'll continue to ruminate into this thread, feel free to comment :)
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Don't go...but if you do...ship the surfboard North!!

CVCashmere

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Wait (and wait...and wait some more) for the next gen Challenger, and hope they do a convertible? Or a 4 series BMW? Buy a restomod any convertible from the 60s?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

They both share the roughly the same 10-speed automatic, either is probably more than enough for the street, but OOTB, the ZL1 has a ~200HP advantage. Without the Perf Package, the GT becomes way less feature competitive (no Mag suspension, much smaller brakes [even if this is just a cosmetic consideration], less cooling, less performing rear end[?]).

I'll continue to ruminate into this thread, feel free to comment :)
Roughly the same but not really. The ZL1 10AT was actually a sort of underground project that Ford and even most of GM didnā€™t know was happening. I would say that the ZL1 10AT and the Mustang 10AT were born in the same hospital ward, but in different ERs.

Gonna try to paraphrase a conversation I had with Al O. before the ZL1 came to market. It was at the 2015 NAIAS. I was touring all of the GM Product Development Executive Chief Engineers through the show floor before it opened for Industry Days. We were walking through Ford near the GT350, the GT and the Raptor Concept and I was telling them that the Raptor would be the first vehicle to market with the 10AT that Ford and GM were working on. Later in the tour, between exhibits, Al pulled me to the side and said ā€œRaptorā€™s gonna be second. Weā€™re gonna be firstā€. I pushed back on that a little and told him when the Raptor was coming. He told me that he expected the ZL1 to get to market first. I asked him why Ford would let GM use the transmission first when they were design lead. He said that they were not exactly the same design and that in the agreement GM had leeway to develop other variants and that is exactly what they did for ZL1. The SS 10AT and the ZL1 10AT are not interchangeable. Same basic power flow, but different components.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Wait (and wait...and wait some more) for the next gen Challenger, and hope they do a convertible? Or a 4 series BMW? Buy a restomod any convertible from the 60s?
I'm actually a little surprised Dodge hasn't made a convertible Challenger! Honestly, if I were shopping coupes, I'd seriously look into a Hellcat. :)

I cross shopped an M cabriolet, it's just so f-ing expensive, and while some things are definitely better than my GT, it's not twice-the-price better, and there's actually a few things I dislike about it. FWIW, my wife had a Z3 and a 330Ci .

Roughly the same but not really. The ZL1 10AT was actually a sort of underground project that Ford and even most of GM didnā€™t know was happening. I would say that the ZL1 10AT and the Mustang 10AT were born in the same hospital ward, but in different ERs.
Neat info Jim. I was being very high level in them being "the same", i.e., both modern 10-speeds, but it's interesting there's not insignificant differences (and that the ZL1 and SS don't share the exact same configuration).

I guess I should also say I've knocked around the idea of an SS convertible, which for me, would mean going MY19+ to get the 10-speed, which of course also introduces the facelift, which may or may not be something that grows on me. Funny enough, we just ran up to Ace for some yard supplies, and I saw a silver SS vert coming from the opposite direction so I got a really head on shot and you know, I kind of liked it.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
It's a very personal decision and I think only you will be able to make it.

I really dislike the look of Camaro convertibles. For me, I was between a BMW 4 series or the GT convertible, purely based on looks. I really fell for the Grabber Blue color, so ended up with the Mustang.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
After owning a Gen 5 Camaro vert, I wouldnā€™t touch a Gen 6 vert. Iā€™m convinced Ford has the better built top. Which for me is the most important part of owning a vert. If you read their forums they have a lot more post than we do on problems with the tops. I had to go to six dealers before finding one that knew how to work on our Camaro vert. Not saying Ford dealers are any better or worse, I havenā€™t had any issues with it. I also drive a ā€˜17 Tahoe (work) that isnā€™t mine that is a disappointment compared to previous generation that had its share of problems. And to be fair, if I daily drove a Ford product 150-200 miles a day Iā€™d probably have just as many issues as I do with GM.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After owning a Gen 5 Camaro vert, I wouldnā€™t touch a Gen 6 vert. Iā€™m convinced Ford has the better built top. Which for me is the most important part of owning a vert. If you read their forums they have a lot more post than we do on problems with the tops. I had to go to six dealers before finding one that knew how to work on our Camaro vert. Not saying Ford dealers are any better or worse, I havenā€™t had any issues with it. I also drive a ā€˜17 Tahoe (work) that isnā€™t mine that is a disappointment compared to previous generation that had its share of problems. And to be fair, if daily drove a Ford product 150-200 miles a day Iā€™d probably have just as many issues as I do with GM.
5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro tops are like apples and raisins. Totally different setups. There are a few people that have had issues with the plastic trim piece on the side and Chevy did a recall on the partition in the trunk that has to be up in order for the top to retract. Nothing serious at all. Personally, I love the fact that it raises and lowers at up to 31 mph. 5th gen didnā€™t do that. And I also love the fact that the 6th Gen has a hard tonneau that snaps into place with the automatic retraction. Again, 5th gen didnā€™t have that either.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I know theyā€™re completely different, Gen 5 to 6. But, as they say everything before but doesnā€™t matter and after driving a ā€˜12 Tahoe 200,000 miles and a ā€˜17 Tahoe Iā€™m not convinced a gen 6 would be better than a gen 5. Yes they maybe lighter and faster, but for me thatā€™s irrelevant. I want something thatā€™s well built. Right now I think when it comes to the tops on the verts I think the Ford is better. Slower, less flashy and no tonneau cover, but it works. After two years, I have zero wind noise, no water leaks, and it functions properly. As long as it keeps doing that Iā€™m not jumping ship. Now a coupe, itā€™s anyoneā€™s game.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know theyā€™re completely different, Gen 5 to 6. But, as they say everything before but doesnā€™t matter and after driving a ā€˜12 Tahoe 200,000 miles and a ā€˜17 Tahoe Iā€™m not convinced a gen 6 would be better than a gen 5. Yes they maybe lighter and faster, but for me thatā€™s irrelevant. I want something thatā€™s well built. Right now I think when it comes to the tops on the verts I think the Ford is better. Slower, less flashy and no tonneau cover, but it works. After two years, I have zero wind noise, no water leaks, and it functions properly. As long as it keeps doing that Iā€™m not jumping ship. Now a coupe, itā€™s anyoneā€™s game.
Makes sense. FWIW, I'm also over two years in, no wind noise, no leaks, no rattles, and perfect functionality. Now if I can just keep the neighbor's cat from sleeping on top of it and leaving fuzz all over the top....

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Sorry, nice engine and all but I can't live with that front end. It's something only a mother can love.

freshjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Id like to vote for an Alpha 4C or Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
Sponsored