2016 Mustang GT Convertible

Subvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Hello I purchased a 2016 Mustang Convertible for my wife’s 50th Birthday (her dream car)..this car has some upgrades...CDC style bar, Borla exhaust, lowered an inch and new wheels and tires. 6 speed manual. Also have a newly painted scoop which hasn’t been installed but is in one of the pictures. Several questions....This car has the Shaker stereo system, it doesn’t have a subwoofer so sounds so trebly. Is there a way I can check to see if it had one? I would like some suggestions on a subwoofer. I have done systems before in my corvette. Also I see it does not have a navigation icon. So do we rely on our cell phone apps?? Also having problems opening the app on the iPhone. I do appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks
535168EF-6D61-4AE2-840F-82ACE216B797.jpeg
FA2E6F4C-4B82-4501-B947-854EDB91F4AB.png
9C76CE00-4B11-4002-BA8F-5A3EDE59CD9A.png
4CC9AA4B-ECFC-4FC1-8F29-8889DEA431A3.jpeg
Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Well I can tell you it may be a rare car for being a 2016 PP1 Convert. I know in 2017 they only made 606 PP1 converts. I have the only 2017 GT Conv PP1 but with a Auto. Good find how many miles and any other details?

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Congrats, if it came with a sub it should have Shaker at the bottom of the center console. If it does it would have been in the right corner of the trunk. Also the FM radio and Sirus sounds pretty bad unless it’s a HD FM station. On my ‘16, the best sound is through my phone on Pandora. It’s subject to the source unlike older radios. You should a Nav icon on the bottom of the screen beside phone and apps. If it’s not there, I don’t know. Other things like subs I can’t say.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP

Subvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Well I can tell you it may be a rare car for being a 2016 PP1 Convert. I know in 2017 they only made 606 PP1 converts. I have the only 2017 GT Conv PP1 but with a Auto. Good find how many miles and any other details?
Hey Canyon Ed, I’m sorry to say I’m not sure what PP1 is. Can you fill me in on that? It has 72k miles

OP
OP

Subvoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Congrats, if it came with a sub it should have Shaker at the bottom of the center console. If it does it would have been in the right corner of the trunk. Also the FM radio and Sirus sounds pretty bad unless it’s a HD FM station. On my ‘16, the best sound is through my phone on Pandora. It’s subject to the source unlike older radios. You should a Nav icon on the bottom of the screen beside phone and apps. If it’s not there, I don’t know. Other things like subs I can’t say.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hey JCFoster, so I looked in the trunk well ate and there are no mounts. Also no NAV icon. It does say Shaker though.... puzzled.
B0DBC827-95EB-4917-B90B-44B59CE4C311.jpeg
12F9971A-8F6B-40CF-96BA-32395FF4369F.jpeg
A499EA4E-22E4-4140-A578-F9F2B9F0E125.jpeg

Sponsored

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
Nice car and congrats!

I have a '16 GT Convertible Performance Pack (PP1 as the other poster referred to it). Yours is a straight GT with the upgraded 20" wheels. The PP's have staggered 19's, Brembo front brakes, and a few other goodies.

In terms of the lack of sub, you have the "standard" Shaker which is 9 speakers (Center, 2 Mids in Door, tweeter in A-Pillar, and mid in rear passenger wall) with no subwoofer. Long story for me but I got a steal on my car so I didn't get to pick my options. I'm still cursing at the dealer for not ordering the Shaker Pro! Anyway, I have spent more time than I would have liked to on my system and it still isn't where I'd like. Ford does A LOT of processing on the audio and, in my opinion, do more harm than good. You will have to tap a speaker for a high level signal. You are better to tap the front lower door (there are posts on here with wiring diagrams). Ford also has a mode in the DSP that cuts the bass when the top is unlocked. You won't notice without a sub but with you will hear it. It drove me nuts for months until I found the setting in the DSP via Forscan to disable it but it still isn't 100% by my ears. I know I'm throwing a lot at you here but roll through the audio section of the forums and you will see it all documented out. I posted the DSP settings.

In terms of what sub, I bought the dual 8" JL Audio MicroSub (https://www.jlaudio.com/cp208lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93295). It fits PERFECTLY under the well of the convertible top in the trunk. There are cheaper options, Rockford sells a 12" sub that fits as well and JL has smaller MicroSub boxes but I figured if I was doing it I didn't want to be disappointed. I also did a separate Line In converter because while the JL amp has one it isn't very adjustable. This is important because the Ford system rolls off the bass as the volume goes up. I bought the AudioControl LC2 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIL0LW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which allows you to adjust for that.

Even with all of that, the bass is better but the audio in general still sounds clipped and compressed regardless of the source. I've replaced all of the other speakers but I think the factory amp in general sucks. I haven't been willing to go all in and do aftermarket amps although writing this is making me rethink that!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nice car and congrats!

I have a '16 GT Convertible Performance Pack (PP1 as the other poster referred to it). Yours is a straight GT with the upgraded 20" wheels. The PP's have staggered 19's, Brembo front brakes, and a few other goodies.

You know, I'm not so sure it's not an original PP1 car, while it does have the non-PP optional 20" wheels, the front brakes look pretty big (I can't actually see if it has the Brembo caliper in the top photo).

The thing that's kind of telling, is it has what appears to be the PP dual center console gauges and only two air vents (vs. the three vent setup on non-PP cars). Also, no rear wing (like a PP car), and the front lower airdam looks bigger than a standard GT.

@Subvoodoo Check out your front brake caliper, if it's a dark, smooth gray finish with Brembo stenciled in red, you probably have a PP car that someone swapped out the wheels. Also, since it's a manual, it could very well be (if it was an auto, Ford didn't build US auto + PP cars, from 2015-2017).

If it is a Performance Package car, that gives you several goodies: bigger front brakes, improved suspension, bigger radiator, a 3:73 rear gear (with a TORSEN LSD setup), among other things.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
The sub is in the right side in the trunk
A74D2D10-EF6E-4E5F-8D74-D744CF52E52A.jpeg

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
Well if you get the Marti report that will tell you for sure. Looks like 1 to me.

Sponsored

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
You know, I'm not so sure it's not an original PP1 car, while it does have the non-PP optional 20" wheels, the front brakes look pretty big (I can't actually see if it has the Brembo caliper in the top photo).

The thing that's kind of telling, is it has what appears to be the PP dual center console gauges and only two air vents (vs. the three vent setup on non-PP cars). Also, no rear wing (like a PP car), and the front lower airdam looks bigger than a standard GT.

@Subvoodoo Check out your front brake caliper, if it's a dark, smooth gray finish with Brembo stenciled in red, you probably have a PP car that someone swapped out the wheels. Also, since it's a manual, it could very well be (if it was an auto, Ford didn't build US auto + PP cars, from 2015-2017).

If it is a Performance Package car, that gives you several goodies: bigger front brakes, improved suspension, bigger radiator, a 3:73 rear gear (with a TORSEN LSD setup), among other things.
Yeah I see what you are talking about. Hard to tell, I would have figured the Brembo label would have stood out a bit more on the caliper though. Who knows...

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
it appears to have a PP1 front lower chin lip also the lower air dam area will have the honeycomb pattern post a pic

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)

Hi I know that's why I have the only 17 GT PP1 Auto Convert.

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
Also the 3 row radiator will stick out past the front top cover facing back words
Sponsored